ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: What's your preference?
Chris Jones 94 54.34%
1st round draft pick + $20m of other players 74 42.77%
Some other option I will describe in the thread 3 1.73%
Polls are fun! 2 1.16%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll
Page 20 of 20
« First < 101617181920
Nzoner's Game Room>Jones vs. 1st Rounder + $20m
DaFace 11:08 AM 02-18-2020
Obviously this is going to be a key discussion this offseason. On The Athletic's podcast (Time's Ours), Nate Taylor said that he's heard that there are multiple teams out there who would give us a 1st round pick for Jones (assuming we tag and trade him), and possibly more than that.

So just to lay out a simplified version of the options:

Option 1:
Chris Jones (probably around $20m per year)

Option 2:
1st round draft pick (cheap for 4-5 years)
$20m worth of other players

For context on how much other players might cost based on recent free agents we've signed:
Clark - $21m
Mathieu - $14m
Hitchens - $9m
Schwartz - $8m
Okafor - $6m

So...which way do we go?
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 08:09 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
If this CBA deal with 2 extra games per season instead of 1 passes, you pay Jones what he wants and backload the holy hell out of it.

Instead of the average $10 million rise in the cap every year, it’s gonna easily be at least $15 million per year.
Uh it is not really anything extra to the entire league. They are just changing one pre season into a regular season. The extra post season is paid and handled completely different now and I am sure it would be going forward as well.
[Reply]
BossChief 08:23 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
If this CBA deal with 2 extra games per season instead of 1 passes, you pay Jones what he wants and backload the holy hell out of it.

Instead of the average $10 million rise in the cap every year, it’s gonna easily be at least $15 million per year.
Try 25-30

Bigger percentage
New TV deals
More games
Gambling $
More overseas games
[Reply]
KurtCobain 07:55 PM 02-20-2020
I say we sign Snacks cheap and tag and trade Jones. I like Jones but we're not in a position to pay him right now.
[Reply]
Fat Elvis 09:41 PM 02-20-2020
Originally Posted by KurtCobain:
I say we sign Snacks cheap and tag and trade Jones. I like Jones but we're not in a position to pay him right now.
With a couple roster moves, we can easily afford Jones and Mahomes under the new CBA if the players approve it.
[Reply]
TribalElder 10:00 PM 02-20-2020
I read somewhere that sammy watkins cap number is 21m this year

is that right?

yep https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap/

good lord that berry deal was a nightmare 8 million still in 2020
[Reply]
KurtCobain 10:05 PM 02-20-2020
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis:
With a couple roster moves, we can easily afford Jones and Mahomes under the new CBA if the players approve it.
Do you think they will?
[Reply]
Chargem 01:44 AM 02-21-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Try 25-30

Bigger percentage
New TV deals
More games
Gambling $
More overseas games
I might be being dense here, but how does the league make money from gambling? They can't be giving out licences to gamble on the games, or taking a cut of Vegas's profits on bets placed on games? I guess if there are on site bookies at the stadiums, the league could be taking a piece of them.

I agree its good for the game because overall it increases viewership/engagement but I wouldn't have thought its a huge money spinner for the league, and you've already captured "increased viewership" in the new TV deals bit really.

Originally Posted by TribalElder:
I read somewhere that sammy watkins cap number is 21m this year

is that right?

yep https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap/

good lord that berry deal was a nightmare 8 million still in 2020
Yep $21m but only $7m is guaranteed, which is why all the talk about cut/restructure.
[Reply]
BlackOp 01:44 AM 02-21-2020
Jones isn't going anywhere...he batted down 2 passes in the final minutes of the SB.

While it doesn't really register how important those plays were...they were as big any offensive one.

I cant see Veach letting a star player leave...especially with the new CBA about to hit.

Clark and Jones seem to have developed a chemistry....maybe they bonded in the fact they have the two most forgettable names in the NFL.
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 02:12 AM 02-21-2020
And with the 32nd pick in the NFL's 2020 Draft the Kansas City CHIEFS select Drue Chrisman - Punter, Ohio State
[Reply]
Page 20 of 20
« First < 101617181920
Up