ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 221 of 221
« First < 121171211217218219220221
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
Easy 6 12:25 PM 03-17-2024
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I've never fished here in AZ so it was fun for me too. We are learning as we go. The Bluegills were nice because he could get the idea of watching the bobber about 5-10ft from the shore as they were hitting the worms. Dude tries to reel as fast as he can anytime the bobber was dipping. We were working on patience and letting the bobber really go under before setting the hook. :-)

He's got the fever but wants to try catching "other fish" now. I saw some small mouth bass jumping a bit, what's the technique for those? I am assuming baits/jigs/spinners with lots of casting and reeling? I also heard they stock these urban ponds with Catfish soon because they are about the only fish that can make it through the Phoenix summers without dying. Hotdogs and shrimp off the bottom is what I am told catches catfish which is again, something I've never fished for. Those lunkers could be really fun I bet!
You can catch bass and other sportfish with a bobber too, but yeah your chances go up with lures and lots of casting to cover as much area as possible

And thats where youngsters can run into trouble, because their chances of getting snagged/stuck in rocks etc goes way up... as for the catfish what you've been told is fine for channel cat, but blues and flatheads prefer live bait or cut bait (fish head or chunk of meat)
[Reply]
Easy 6 12:39 PM 03-17-2024
Here are a few vids to help you out, Lew

[Reply]
Easy 6 03:40 PM 03-17-2024
Lews newfound family bonding has me reminiscing about back when I took my two fishing when they were young

You get them all set up with a simple bobber and bait, but YOU wanna cast lures and try different things... well if the bluegill aren't biting, suddenly they wanna do what you're doing because it looks fun

So you finally relent and set them up to cast lures, big mistake... because the next thing you know, the only thing you're going to be doing is trying unstick your lures from bushes, trees, rocks and logs for the next hour

And at that point you're just ready to go home :-)

If I could go back in time, I wouldn't go casting about and trying to be the Big Kahuna when I took them out... instead I'd bobber fish just like them the entire time, teaching them to crawl before they walk so to speak

No one ever said you have to let that bobber just sit in one place the whole time, slowly trawl that bait under your bobber around different kinds of cover
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 10:55 PM 03-18-2024
New world record paddlefish came out of the Lake of the Ozarks yesterday. The angler from always sunny and 75 Olathe, KS

We think Chad Williams is done fishing for the year. Maybe for life ��

Williams made history this weekend after snagging a world record 164-pound, 13-ounce paddlefish at Lake of the Ozarks! And did we mention he'd never been snagging before??

More at https://t.co/gz0DuVQfvR pic.twitter.com/BVjUYDPSSe

— MO Conservation (@MDC_online) March 18, 2024

[Reply]
Rasputin 03:50 PM 03-25-2024
My new tattoo

[Reply]
Graystoke 05:19 PM 03-25-2024
Sweet tat Ras!
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:36 PM 03-25-2024
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
New world record paddlefish came out of the Lake of the Ozarks yesterday. The angler from always sunny and 75 Olathe, KS

Nice catch.

Though I've never been able to wrap my mind around purposefully snagging fish before. Doesn't seem like fishing to me personally.

Would love to see one of those things in person someday though. Wild looking fish.
[Reply]
jerryaldini 07:02 PM 03-25-2024
For the small mouths nothing is more fun than popper flies on the surface in still water. With a kid setup you would just attach a casting bubble to the line to give it enough weight to cast. You make a very short quick retrieve to pop the face of the fly on the surface and create a disturbance. Wait for the wave rings to die before the next retrieve. Fantastic surface action for bass and bluegill, if he doesn't get too tired casting. Man I miss it.

Oh and of course bring your fly rod to do the same without the bubble!
[Reply]
ptlyon 07:09 PM 03-25-2024
When I was a teenager Iowa PBS had some outdoors shows.

I remember one in particular of the host being in a belly boat on a small farm pond fly fishing for bluegill. Poppers, flies. Man that looked like a blast.
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:13 PM 03-25-2024
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
When I was a teenager Iowa PBS had some outdoors shows.

I remember one in particular of the host being in a belly boat on a small farm pond fly fishing for bluegill. Poppers, flies. Man that looked like a blast.

Hard to find a better time than that.
[Reply]
Page 221 of 221
« First < 121171211217218219220221
Up