ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 11
« First < 56789 1011 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Marijuana use holds three-fold blood pressure death risk: study
Eleazar 09:18 AM 08-10-2017
Marijuana use holds three-fold blood pressure death risk: study
Kate Kelland | Reuters

LONDON (Reuters) - People who smoke marijuana have a three times greater risk of dying from hypertension, or high blood pressure, than those who have never used the drug, scientists said on Wednesday.

The risk grows with every year of use, they said.

The findings, from a study of some 1,200 people, could have implications in the United States among other countries. Several states have legalized marijuana and others are moving toward it. It is decriminalized in a number of other countries.

"Support for liberal marijuana use is partly due to claims that it is beneficial and possibly not harmful to health," said Barbara Yankey, who co-led the research at the school of public health at Georgia State University in the United States.

"It is important to establish whether any health benefits outweigh the potential health, social and economic risks. If marijuana use is implicated in cardiovascular diseases and deaths, then it rests on the health community and policy makers to protect the public."

Marijuana is also sometimes used for medicinal purposes, such as for glaucoma.

The study, published in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, was a retrospective follow-up study of 1,213 people aged 20 or above who had been involved in a large and ongoing National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. In 2005Ė2006, they were asked if they had ever used marijuana.

For Yankey's study, information on marijuana use was merged with mortality data in 2011 from the U.S. National Center for Health Statistics, and adjusted for confounding factors such as tobacco smoking and variables including sex, age and ethnicity.

The average duration of use among users of marijuana, or cannabis, was 11.5 years.

The results showed marijuana users had a 3.42-times higher risk of death from hypertension than non-users, and a 1.04 greater risk for each year of use.

There was no link between marijuana use and dying from heart or cerebrovascular diseases such as strokes.

Yankey said were limitations in the way marijuana use was assessed -- including that researchers could not be sure whether people had used the drug continuously since they first tried it.

But she said the results chimed with plausible risks, since marijuana is known to affect the cardiovascular system.

"Marijuana stimulates the sympathetic nervous system, leading to increases in heart rate, blood pressure and oxygen demand," she said.

Experts not directly involved in the study said its findings would need to be replicated, but already raised concerns.

"Despite the widely held view that cannabis is benign, this research adds to previous work suggesting otherwise," said Ian Hamilton, a lecturer in mental health at Britain's York University.

http://reut.rs/2voF62N
[Reply]
RubberSponge 08:06 PM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by LiveSteam:
Fix it and help finish it up..
https://youtu.be/E27S9sVRo4w
Well it is strain, not strand.

So it should go like this.

One strain makes you larger, and one strain makes you small.

Saying strand in relation to cannabis just makes you look silly.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 08:06 PM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
It's going to result in a new wave of smoking related illnesses, just as tobacco use was being stubbed out in most of the first world.

Indeed.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 10:03 PM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks:
You sure did.

Those hundred idiotic posts per day in the political section of a football team's message board weren't gonna just type themselves.
:-), indeed. What an overachiever.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:08 PM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
My Father smoked Chesterfield cigarettes every day of his life and he died at 89. There is no "guarantee" that you will get lung cancer. Not everyone does.

Research is only "BS" when you disagree with the findings...
My grandfather died when he was 81. Started smoking roll-your-own, obviously unfiltered, Prince Alberts when he was 11. Did smoking kill him? Sure. But it took 70 fucking years.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 10:43 PM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
My grandfather died when he was 81. Started smoking roll-your-own, obviously unfiltered, Prince Alberts when he was 11. Did smoking kill him? Sure. But it took 70 ****ing years.

My Old Man used to carry around a pouch of Bull Durham and papers. He'd roll his own when he had forgotten to buy smokes at the store..
[Reply]
listopencil 10:58 PM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
My grandfather died when he was 81. Started smoking roll-your-own, obviously unfiltered, Prince Alberts when he was 11. Did smoking kill him? Sure. But it took 70 fucking years.
My Old Man used to carry around a pouch of Bull Durham and papers. He'd roll his own when he had forgotten to buy smokes at the store..
My Father smoked Chesterfield cigarettes every day of his life and he died at 89. There is no "guarantee" that you will get lung cancer. Not everyone does.

Research is only "BS" when you disagree with the findings...

Cigarette tobacco as it is in popular brands has changed quite a bit in the last 50+ years. There are brands made these days with very limited additives and you can taste the difference. Those are probably similar to the old timer smokes. It's still smoking so it's still shitty, but the people that use them aren't dumping as many chemicals into their bodies.
[Reply]
Eureka 11:05 PM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Are you under the impression that weed hasn't been smoked for thousands of years?
The truth is weed has changed in the past couple decades. Itís not your fathers weed. Growers will put any chemical in their plants if it makes it yield bigger buds and they do. Iíve seen it done by many growers. This stuff people are inhaling is not regulated and the long term affects are unknown.

This isnít the same weed from the 60ís.
[Reply]
listopencil 11:13 PM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by Eureka:
The truth is weed has changed in the past couple decades. Itís not your fathers weed. Growers will put any chemical in their plants if it makes it yield bigger buds and they do. Iíve seen it done by many growers. This stuff people are inhaling is not regulated and the long term affects are unknown.

Is the final product testable for these chemicals? Since the price has dropped can a third party start up make money by certifying commercial pot?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:23 PM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Is the final product testable for these chemicals? Since the price has dropped can a third party start up make money by certifying commercial pot?
Yes. In fact, there was a huge push for testing facilities to get certified in MO to perform analyses of the products made by dispensaries, and only a small portion were granted licenses to do so. Those that were approved included groundwater testing facilities.
[Reply]
listopencil 11:30 PM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Yes. In fact, there was a huge push for testing facilities to get certified in MO to perform analyses of the products made by dispensaries, and only a small portion were granted licenses to do so. Those that were approved included groundwater testing facilities.

Sounds like a step in the right direction. I hope that legalization will allow more progress along those lines. Ideally (in my mind) you'd have third party companies testing product for a fee from the producer. The producer could then pass that cost along to the consumer.
[Reply]
RubberSponge 02:46 AM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by Eureka:

You are misunderstanding.

Mineral based bloom boosters are not a problem. Systemic pesticides are usually the problem. Pesticides aren't products that give the plant the nutrition to yield more.

There is such a hate for mineral based nutrients that it borders on lunacy.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 03:26 AM 02-27-2020
I am glad I found cbd oil. It helped with a variety of issues
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 06:32 AM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Sounds like a step in the right direction. I hope that legalization will allow more progress along those lines. Ideally (in my mind) you'd have third party companies testing product for a fee from the producer. The producer could then pass that cost along to the consumer.
That's what is happening in MO, at least.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:50 AM 02-27-2020
I tried the CBD oil I picked up in Colorado a while back - did nothing, absolutely nothing - for me. Tossed it in the trash.
A lady who works for me gives hemp treats to her dog during storms and it evidently does wonders for the dog. So there might actually be some positive aspects of it.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 07:08 AM 02-27-2020
I'm not a pot smoker, but this study sounds like it contains some creative math to arrive at its conclusion.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 11
« First < 56789 1011 >
Up