ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 11
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Marijuana use holds three-fold blood pressure death risk: study
Eleazar 09:18 AM 08-10-2017
Marijuana use holds three-fold blood pressure death risk: study
Kate Kelland | Reuters

LONDON (Reuters) - People who smoke marijuana have a three times greater risk of dying from hypertension, or high blood pressure, than those who have never used the drug, scientists said on Wednesday.

The risk grows with every year of use, they said.

The findings, from a study of some 1,200 people, could have implications in the United States among other countries. Several states have legalized marijuana and others are moving toward it. It is decriminalized in a number of other countries.

"Support for liberal marijuana use is partly due to claims that it is beneficial and possibly not harmful to health," said Barbara Yankey, who co-led the research at the school of public health at Georgia State University in the United States.

"It is important to establish whether any health benefits outweigh the potential health, social and economic risks. If marijuana use is implicated in cardiovascular diseases and deaths, then it rests on the health community and policy makers to protect the public."

Marijuana is also sometimes used for medicinal purposes, such as for glaucoma.

The study, published in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, was a retrospective follow-up study of 1,213 people aged 20 or above who had been involved in a large and ongoing National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. In 20052006, they were asked if they had ever used marijuana.

For Yankey's study, information on marijuana use was merged with mortality data in 2011 from the U.S. National Center for Health Statistics, and adjusted for confounding factors such as tobacco smoking and variables including sex, age and ethnicity.

The average duration of use among users of marijuana, or cannabis, was 11.5 years.

The results showed marijuana users had a 3.42-times higher risk of death from hypertension than non-users, and a 1.04 greater risk for each year of use.

There was no link between marijuana use and dying from heart or cerebrovascular diseases such as strokes.

Yankey said were limitations in the way marijuana use was assessed -- including that researchers could not be sure whether people had used the drug continuously since they first tried it.

But she said the results chimed with plausible risks, since marijuana is known to affect the cardiovascular system.

"Marijuana stimulates the sympathetic nervous system, leading to increases in heart rate, blood pressure and oxygen demand," she said.

Experts not directly involved in the study said its findings would need to be replicated, but already raised concerns.

"Despite the widely held view that cannabis is benign, this research adds to previous work suggesting otherwise," said Ian Hamilton, a lecturer in mental health at Britain's York University.

http://reut.rs/2voF62N
[Reply]
eDave 12:26 AM 08-12-2017
Originally Posted by Inspector:
Good or bad, I'm uncomfortable with the idea that fellow Americans (via government laws) can and do dictate what consenting adults can choose to legally do to their own bodies in the privacy of their own homes.

Still trying to connect that fact with freedom and pursuit of happiness and the not living under a weird version of tyranny.

It's like some folks believe they should be able to tell you what you can do to yourself in your home but simply do not want you to tell them what to do to themselves.

"Let's put pot smokers in jail. It's bad for them."

How about, "Let's put ice cream eaters in jail. It's bad for them. Or cigarette smokers. Or alcohol drinkers...etc, etc.

America, land of the free!!

This is really ****ed up.
Our Founding Fathers were high af when they wrote the Constitution. How else can you write something like that?

It's pretty existential.
[Reply]
Inspector 12:41 AM 08-12-2017
Originally Posted by eDave:
Our Founding Fathers were high af when they wrote the Constitution. How else can you write something like that?

It's pretty existential.
I wasn't aware of their consumption habits.

Wonder what they would think of what we do about it today.
[Reply]
Psyko Tek 12:48 AM 08-12-2017
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Potheads will be in to dis this. Dopers gonna dope.
you know man, that is like, your opinion
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 02:41 AM 08-12-2017
Originally Posted by Donger:
Sure, but it cures cancer!
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Potheads will be in to dis this. Dopers gonna dope.
Dude... this stoner piece of shit. AMIRITE?!?! I bet he doesn't even really have Parkinson's and just faked it to get that free high.

[Reply]
Trent Green GOAT 03:00 AM 08-12-2017
Don't care.
[Reply]
Lex Luthor 07:27 AM 08-12-2017
Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx:
Dude... this stoner piece of shit. AMIRITE?!?! I bet he doesn't even really have Parkinson's and just faked it to get that free high.

That was a very compelling video.

My dad suffered from Parkinson's disease for at least 10 years before he died. His symptoms weren't quite as bad as the guy in the video, but they were close. It makes me sad to think that people still have to suffer when there is a treatment that appears to be very effective.
[Reply]
Lex Luthor 07:27 AM 08-12-2017
Originally Posted by Trent Green GOAT:
Don't care.
That makes you a shitty person.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:58 AM 08-12-2017
Good or bad, I'm uncomfortable with the idea that fellow Americans (via government laws) can and do dictate what consenting adults can choose to legally do to their own bodies in the privacy of their own homes.

Still trying to connect that fact with freedom and pursuit of happiness and the not living under a weird version of tyranny.

It's like some folks believe they should be able to tell you what you can do to yourself in your home but simply do not want you to tell them what to do to themselves.

"Let's put pot smokers in jail. It's bad for them."

How about, "Let's put ice cream eaters in jail. It's bad for them. Or cigarette smokers. Or alcohol drinkers...etc, etc.

America, land of the free!!

This is really ****ed up.
What's really ****ed up is how much dirty money flows through the marijuana criminalization business. And for what? For $50b are our streets safer? They're more dangerous because we regularly turn naive young kids into criminals for small possession.

And in the process, we create a prison industrialization complex where marijuana is an easy way to increase our prisoner count. Meanwhile everyone from private prisons and countless unions profit big time. Meanwhile corporations get practically slave labor out of the system.

If you cut down marijuana enforcement significantly, do people feel like our streets will actually be more dangerous? Better yet, what if we diverted those billions into more cops or enforcing laws that actually make people safer?
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 08:17 AM 08-12-2017
I wasn't aware of their consumption habits.

Wonder what they would think of what we do about it today.
They would be horrified that the fedgov actually banned a product. That was not a power given to the feds, only to tax.

Drug abuse ie alcoholism which was by far the most common, was seen as a moral failing on the part of the abuser but not a criminal act.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 08:19 AM 08-12-2017
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
What's really ****ed up is how much dirty money flows through the marijuana criminalization business. And for what? For $50b are our streets safer? They're more dangerous because we regularly turn naive young kids into criminals for small possession.

And in the process, we create a prison industrialization complex where marijuana is an easy way to increase our prisoner count. Meanwhile everyone from private prisons and countless unions profit big time. Meanwhile corporations get practically slave labor out of the system.

If you cut down marijuana enforcement significantly, do people feel like our streets will actually be more dangerous? Better yet, what if we diverted those billions into more cops or enforcing laws that actually make people safer?
Its as simple as this. You don't see the Jim Beam and Jack Daniels gangs battling it out on the streets for territory because they don't have to. Since alcohol is legal, if there is a dispute the court system can handle it.
[Reply]
Inspector 08:23 AM 08-12-2017
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:

Many of us figured out back in the early 70's that prohibition was nothing more than a financial scheme. I've often asked how much our lawmakers are getting kicked back from the drug cartels along with the whole prison fiasco.

Someone on this site suggested that legalization was being held up because of "old" people. Funny because us "old"people thought the same thing back 40 - 50 years ago.

It's not old people who keep it illegal, rather (IMO) it's those who profit by locking up our citizens using the excuse of how they treat their own bodies.

One of the most frustrating issues to me is knowing that the vast majority of good Americans would vote to legalize if given the opportunity. Makes me wonder who is actually in charge here. Apparently not us, the taxpaying citizens.

Many of us have been living with this outrage for many, many decades now. It sucks.
[Reply]
mdchiefsfan 08:41 AM 08-12-2017
Drinking alcohol raises blood pressure, but that is allowed. :-)
[Reply]
Inspector 08:48 AM 08-12-2017
If I used cannabis, I'd worry about the medical effects - but I would also have those concerns about booze, cigarettes and high fat foods.

It's not about health, it's about free will About the essence of why the United States of America is an exceptional country. We are supposed to be free to pursue our happiness as long as we don't hurt others.

I get that many folks do not think anyone should be able to self determine what to do to themselves. What they don't realize is that really nobody gives a fuck about their approval.

I don't think we will ever fix this problem. Too many people getting rich from it just the way it is - especially here in Missouri.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 08:53 AM 08-12-2017
Originally Posted by notorious:
Some people argue that weed is a miracle substance, others say it's the devil.

It probably falls somewhere in the gray area.
It's like any illegal substance it really depends on the person.

For some people it is probably horrible and should be avoided

For others it is probably fine.

Alcohol is no better which is why it is absolutely ridiculous that weed is illegal IMO.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:06 AM 08-12-2017
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
It's like any illegal substance it really depends on the person.

For some people it is probably horrible and should be avoided

For others it is probably fine.

Alcohol is no better
which is why it is absolutely ridiculous that weed is illegal IMO.
This stupid argument just never dies.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 11
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Up