ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 96 of 221
« First < 46869293949596 979899100106146196 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Science is Cool....
Fish 09:43 PM 05-21-2012
This is a repository for all cool scientific discussion and fascination. Scientific facts, theories, and overall cool scientific stuff that you'd like to share with others. Stuff that makes you smile and wonder at the amazing shit going on around us, that most people don't notice.

Post pictures, vidoes, stories, or links. Ask questions. Share science.

Why should I care?:

[Reply]
Fish 03:24 PM 02-24-2014
Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet:
From wikipedia:

So in 2005 he could get about one word a minute and has continued to deteriorate. It's nine years later.

And I'm just going by what the show (which I watched a few years ago) showed in real time. His assistant was writing equations on a board and he was literally trying to translate grunts and eye movement to determine if he had it right, or where he had it wrong.
Well that's not correct. Hawking's communications devices have received several upgrades since that time. His input has improved dramatically, like over 10 words per minute last I knew. And his newest system allows for word and sentence prediction, using advanced prediction algorithms specific to Hawking. He literally has a dedicated Intel team constantly working on better communication devices and techniques for him. His assistant doesn't have to translate grunts. Hawking hasn't been able to grunt for a long time anyway.

Besides that, the idea that he, or his assistant, or the scientific community in general, would allow his assistant to to pass off work under Hawking's name is just crazy for many reasons.
[Reply]
Rausch 03:36 PM 02-24-2014
Originally Posted by Dave Lane:
You have a link to any of his pettiness?
He's wrong and he's angry about it.

There are reasons he knew, and many people knew, but his lie was a good one.

The einstein rosen bridge is the basis for all black holes. Its how the universe works.

Yin and Yang.

The way the oil drips from one level of that cute little device to the other.

It's how energy works. It's NEVER created and NEVER destroyed...
[Reply]
Fish 03:46 PM 02-24-2014
How could you tell he was angry?
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 03:58 PM 02-24-2014
Originally Posted by Fish:
Well that's not correct. Hawking's communications devices have received several upgrades since that time. His input has improved dramatically, like over 10 words per minute last I knew. And his newest system allows for word and sentence prediction, using advanced prediction algorithms specific to Hawking. He literally has a dedicated Intel team constantly working on better communication devices and techniques for him. His assistant doesn't have to translate grunts. Hawking hasn't been able to grunt for a long time anyway.

Besides that, the idea that he, or his assistant, or the scientific community in general, would allow his assistant to to pass off work under Hawking's name is just crazy for many reasons.
So you're saying the show I watched was making shit up?

I checked and you are correct, as of 2013 he could get "UP TO" 10 words a minute. I haven't seen it happen. All we see are the pre-programmed sentences. But 10 words a minute sounds excruciating.

As far as the "he, or his assistant, or the scientific community in general" not allowing something like that to happen. Well, lets address those one by one. He really can't talk, so it's easy enough to keep him silent. The scientific community in general really doesn't have a hell of a lot more access to Hawking personally than you or I, so they can be bamboozled, and I don't believe they are quite as incorruptible as you do. That leaves the assistant. And I can think of several scenarios where he might benefit, not the least of which is financially.

I'm not saying any of that is the case. Just saying that I am not convinced everything is as they say.
[Reply]
Fish 04:26 PM 02-24-2014
So you're saying the show I watched was making shit up?

I checked and you are correct, as of 2013 he could get "UP TO" 10 words a minute. I haven't seen it happen. All we see are the pre-programmed sentences. But 10 words a minute sounds excruciating.

As far as the "he, or his assistant, or the scientific community in general" not allowing something like that to happen. Well, lets address those one by one. He really can't talk, so it's easy enough to keep him silent. The scientific community in general really doesn't have a hell of a lot more access to Hawking personally than you or I, so they can be bamboozled, and I don't believe they are quite as incorruptible as you do. That leaves the assistant. And I can think of several scenarios where he might benefit, not the least of which is financially.

I'm not saying any of that is the case. Just saying that I am not convinced everything is as they say.
Do you realize he still does live interviews and lectures and such?

There's plenty more recent interview videos and such available.

I think it's approaching impossible that Hawking's personal assistant could pass off work for Hawking, either with or without Hawking's permission, or that the rest of the world could be bamboozled as such.
[Reply]
aturnis 04:27 PM 02-24-2014
So Hawking would allow himself to be tried out to present someone else's work as his own even if he disagrees with it? That's Fucking crazy. He's not a prisoner. If he wanted to say "hey, this ain't my work, I don't approve of this theory", he would.

Bat shit crazy man.
[Reply]
Rausch 04:29 PM 02-24-2014
How could you tell he was angry?
I read...
[Reply]
Fish 04:35 PM 02-24-2014
Originally Posted by Rausch:
I read...
OK. I just don't understand where you're coming from. I've never heard Hawking described the way you're doing so.
[Reply]
aturnis 04:40 PM 02-24-2014
I read...
Do you have a link?
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 04:43 PM 02-24-2014
Do you realize he still does live interviews and lectures and such?

There's plenty more recent interview videos and such available.

I think it's approaching impossible that Hawking's personal assistant could pass off work for Hawking, either with or without Hawking's permission, or that the rest of the world could be bamboozled as such.
So you show a video with him just sitting there drooling, while a pre-recorded message plays and this is supposed to be proof of a live interview?

Originally Posted by aturnis:
So Hawking would allow himself to be tried out to present someone else's work as his own even if he disagrees with it? That's ****ing crazy. He's not a prisoner. If he wanted to say "hey, this ain't my work, I don't approve of this theory", he would.

Bat shit crazy man.
What if he can't talk at all? What if they are just saying he can? What if someone is just pre-recording messages in his computer and rolling him on stage? If he can't talk, or move, there's not much he could do about it.

And I readily admit, that notion is pure conspiracy theory. But it isn't impossible.

My point before all of this got conspiracified, was that the assistant is probably doing most of the heavy lifting these days, both literally and in the realm of theoretical physics. It really can't be any other way when the guy speaks, at most, 10 words a minute.
[Reply]
aturnis 04:47 PM 02-24-2014
Dude. He had nothing but time in his mind. He had more time to think about these things than literally anyone. Communicating his theory is the easy part.
[Reply]
Fish 04:55 PM 02-24-2014
So you show a video with him just sitting there drooling, while a pre-recorded message plays and this is supposed to be proof of a live interview?

What if he can't talk at all? What if they are just saying he can? What if someone is just pre-recording messages in his computer and rolling him on stage? If he can't talk, or move, there's not much he could do about it.

And I readily admit, that notion is pure conspiracy theory. But it isn't impossible.

My point before all of this got conspiracified, was that the assistant is probably doing most of the heavy lifting these days, both literally and in the realm of theoretical physics. It really can't be any other way when the guy speaks, at most, 10 words a minute.
:-)

OK, you're trolling.
[Reply]
Rausch 05:03 PM 02-24-2014
OK. I just don't understand where you're coming from. I've never heard Hawking described the way you're doing so.
His most recent "statements" conflict with his own theories on singularities.

He won't come out and say it but what he IMPLIES is that information is shared. And he doesn't understand how or why but it does go....elsewhere...
[Reply]
Fish 06:05 PM 02-24-2014
His most recent "statements" conflict with his own theories on singularities.

He won't come out and say it but what he IMPLIES is that information is shared. And he doesn't understand how or why but it does go....elsewhere...
His theories about event horizons have bothered him since the beginning. He's admitted as much. But not because it conflicts with his own theories, it conflicts with quantum mechanics. Hawking's initial theories satisfied Einstein's relativity, but not quantum mechanics. Hawking always felt that something was missing and that black hole physics should be able to satisfy both.

Several years ago, some other astrophysicists came up with the black hole firewall paradox, which says quantum mechanics actually can be applied to black holes if the event horizon acts like a firewall. But that theory violated Einstein's relativity.

Hawking then produced his new theory, which actually satisfies both quantum mechanics and the theory of relativity at the same time, by removing the event horizon altogether and instead defining an "Apparent horizon".

He's been of the belief that information is shared since the 70s, when he theorized "Hawking radiation". That was the whole point of his Hawking radiation idea.

I'm just not understanding why he would be mad at anything.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 07:00 PM 02-24-2014
Originally Posted by Dave Lane:

Watch a Car-Sized Asteroid Slam Into the Moon
by NANCY ATKINSON on FEBRUARY 24, 2014

Hey, all you astro-photographers/videographers out there: were you shooting the Moon back on September 11, 2013? You may want to review your footage and see if you captured a bright flash which occurred at about 20:07 GMT. Astronomers say a meteorite with the mass of a small car slammed into the Moon at that time and the impact produced a bright flash, and it even would have been easy to spot from the Earth.

According to astronomers Jose M. Madiedo, from the University of Huelva and Jose L. Ortiz, from the Institute of Astrophysics of Andalusia both in Spain, this impact was the longest and brightest confirmed lunar impact flash ever observed, as the “afterglow” of the impact remained visible for 8 seconds.

Read more: http://www.universetoday.com/109704/...#ixzz2uGdpDQ26
So it's not Swiss Cheese?
[Reply]
Page 96 of 221
« First < 46869293949596 979899100106146196 > Last »
Up