ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 16
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>NFL likely banning hip-drop tackle
oaklandhater 03:13 PM 03-20-2024

The NFL competition committee has proposed a new rule that would penalize a player with a 15-yard penalty and grant the opposition an automatic first down for using the hip-drop tackle to bring a runner to the ground.

This is the definition of a hip-drop tackle:
(a) grabs the… pic.twitter.com/yL7peCR8gS

— Ari Meirov (@MySportsUpdate) March 20, 2024

YAC gods will go crazy
[Reply]
DaFace 01:47 PM 03-25-2024
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Go back to that clip above. Look at :03/:13 seconds just as examples. You're the DB: tell me what the proper way is to tackle that guy in those two examples please. I mean, I only played a couple years in HS, and was never more than a backup/utility player, so you tell me; how is he supposed to tackle those players 'properly' without doing what he did in both cases.
1) Take a better angle or
2) Slow the player down and wait for help.

I don't think anyone's arguing that this could result in a few extra yards. That's no different than essentially every safety-related change they've made to the game, and yet we're all still watching.
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:48 PM 03-25-2024
Originally Posted by SAGA45:
That and the very strong likelihood that they'd be dead, especially Tua.

Well, yeah. Especially Tua. Dude is just fragile. Add in the fact that he isn't mobile, can't seem to execute a timing pass with any consistency, is below average throwing outside the numbers . . . he wouldn't have even been good enough to keep as a backup at the time. Probably never gets drafted.
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:50 PM 03-25-2024
Originally Posted by DaFace:
1) Take a better angle or
2) Slow the player down and wait for help.

I don't think anyone's arguing that this could result in a few extra yards. That's no different than essentially every safety-related change they've made to the game, and yet we're all still watching.

One of those is Sneed, I believe; he's as fast as it gets in the secondary, so 'taking a better angle,' doesn't really fly for me there.

'Slow the player down and wait for help'? Are you serious? Should he try to make small talk then? Ask him out on a date?
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:53 PM 03-25-2024
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I haven't been paying close attention to this, but I'm a little surprised to see people against banning the tackle type that almost cost us a Super Bowl. It seems like every time this kind of tackle happens the player is getting hurt, so it won't bother me to see them come down on it.

As for the arguments that they're ruining the game by eliminating offense or whatever, that doesn't make a ton of sense to me. The NFL is more popular than ever after two decades of neutering defenses. You can have your 7-6 final score games - I'll take offensive excitement.
Did you watch the video of what they are considering "hip-drop"? It's dumb as hell.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 02:04 PM 03-25-2024
Go back to that clip above. Look at :03/:13 seconds just as examples. You're the DB: tell me what the proper way is to tackle that guy in those two examples please. I mean, I only played a couple years in HS, and was never more than a backup/utility player, so you tell me; how is he supposed to tackle those players 'properly' without doing what he did in both cases.
If I’m not mistaken the hip drop tackle isn’t being enforced. It’s more the swivel tackle where they don’t want you landing on the dudes legs. It still seems a bit broad and subjective. But just for context, league said they saw it something like 200 times and about 7% got injured. That is very very high especially when these injuries tend to be very serious.
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:20 PM 03-25-2024
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
If I’m not mistaken the hip drop tackle isn’t being enforced. It’s more the swivel tackle where they don’t want you landing on the dudes legs. It still seems a bit broad and subjective. But just for context, league said they saw it something like 200 times and about 7% got injured. That is very very high especially when these injuries tend to be very serious.

Again, look at the tape and explain how the defense is supposed to make those tackles?

I mean I get it’s a dangerous tackle. What I don’t get is exactly how the defenders are supposed to make those tackles differently without giving up more yards or possibly even a TD.
[Reply]
wazu 02:26 PM 03-25-2024
NOOOOOOO!!! Hip drop tackles are what made me a fan!
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 02:34 PM 03-25-2024
Again, look at the tape and explain how the defense is supposed to make those tackles?

I mean I get it’s a dangerous tackle. What I don’t get is exactly how the defenders are supposed to make those tackles differently without giving up more yards or possibly even a TD.
https://youtu.be/5KJ9mCbS3rU?si=078ye8udUjAAh9oT
This is a pretty interesting video looking at it from a rugby perspective. The main theme is just trying to avoid tackles that put lots of pressure on the knees and lower body. Football is of course a different animal but a lot of interesting thoughts here.

Every time I see a guys legs pinned under with upper body twisting I cringe.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:36 PM 03-25-2024
Originally Posted by wazu:
But what if Mahomes gets an extra 3 yards instead of getting a high ankle sprain that takes months to heal??? The game will be ruined!!!
[Reply]
wazu 02:39 PM 03-25-2024
This is a pretty interesting video looking at it from a rugby perspective. The main theme is just trying to avoid tackles that put lots of pressure on the knees and lower body. Football is of course a different animal but a lot of interesting thoughts here.

This is really helpful actually.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:47 PM 03-25-2024

Again, no one is saying that won't happen. Defenders who end up behind the runner could stop them more easily using a horse collar tackle, so banning those creates situations where the runner gets more yards.

This is a different type of tackle, but the result will be the same. Once or twice a game, a runner might get more yards than they would have before. It's OK. Games will still be fun.
[Reply]
jdubya 02:55 PM 03-25-2024
Another subjective call for refs to make. What could go wrong?
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:57 PM 03-25-2024

Look, I've said a hundred times that I hate the drop tackle. I'm not advocating for keeping drop tackles. I'm asking, in reference to that clip above, just what are those defenders supposed to do? I get flagging the first one; it's basically exactly the same as the ones in the rugby video. That shit needs to go.

But the two I pointed out, and several others in the video, are just tackles, imo. So tell me, just what are they supposed to do in those other cases?
[Reply]
Radar Chief 03:04 PM 03-25-2024
Originally Posted by wazu:
It was over as soon as they made players wear hard shell helmets with facemasks. This used to be a mans sport, DAMNIT!!!!
[Reply]
jdubya 03:08 PM 03-25-2024
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
It was over as soon as they made players wear hard shell helmets with facemasks. This used to be a mans sport, DAMNIT!!!!
I am against flag football but I wouldn't be opposed to going back to basically rugby gear and let the lads play
[Reply]
Page 11 of 16
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Up