ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2326 of 3903
« First < 1326182622262276231623222323232423252326 232723282329233023362376242628263326 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Donger 09:22 AM 06-12-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
https://www.narcity.com/news/us/fl/t...se-2-reopening

Florida sees it's biggest positive single day number throughout this entire thing and hospitalizations rise.
"As you’re testing more, you are going to find more cases, and most of the cases are sub-clinical cases, and we expected that from the beginning,” DeSantis said during Thursday's press conference. “We are doing 30,000 plus tests a day, in terms of results on average."

He would go on to say that the state's rural communities are also seeing large outbreaks.

Officials continue to point to the positivity rate, the percentage of positive tests among the number of people tested, as a sign the state is still trending in the right direction, with the rate currently sitting at 5.3 percent, according to the state's COVID-19 dashboard.

[Reply]
Spott 09:23 AM 06-12-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Mask are only encouraged so my family will be there quite a bit. My son is stoked for Kong v Zilla
I’ll go back as soon as they open, although I have no idea what’s out now. I’ve already flown the last 3 weekends on completely full flights, so a half empty movie theatre will be a piece of cake.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 09:52 AM 06-12-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
My example was a fact. We have a flu vaccine and people still get the flu all the time. Even people who get the flu shot. Go figure.
You're also vaccinating against four different strains of disease with a high degree of antigenic shift. It's a lot different from what we've seen with this virus so far.
[Reply]
Donger 09:55 AM 06-12-2020
Reposting this, since it seems to be pertinent:

[Reply]
Donger 10:00 AM 06-12-2020

[Reply]
Pants 10:01 AM 06-12-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Reposting this, since it seems to be pertinent:

So THAT'S where I picked up the SARS 2 moniker...
[Reply]
petegz28 10:30 AM 06-12-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
You're also vaccinating against four different strains of disease with a high degree of antigenic shift. It's a lot different from what we've seen with this virus so far.
Is it? I thought there were multiple strains of this already? Either way, I hope we get a vaccine. My point is I am not banking on it. When we get it and see it really works then hooray but until then.....

That being said even with a vaccine I don't think Covid is going to go away. It will be around for probably longer than any of us are going to live anyway.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:34 AM 06-12-2020
Is it? I thought there were multiple strains of this already? Either way, I hope we get a vaccine. My point is I am not banking on it. When we get it and see it really works then hooray but until then.....

That being said even with a vaccine I don't think Covid is going to go away. It will be around for probably longer than any of us are going to live anyway.
Sure, but don't you think a vaccine would help us get back to "normal" a hell of a lot faster than...nothing? A vaccine doesn't have to be 100% effective for every individual to make a massive difference across the entire population.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:56 AM 06-12-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Sure, but don't you think a vaccine would help us get back to "normal" a hell of a lot faster than...nothing? A vaccine doesn't have to be 100% effective for every individual to make a massive difference across the entire population.
Possibly. But then so could other effective treatments for that matter.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:13 PM 06-12-2020

This is an easy issue become confused about because the language we use to describe it isn't very precise.

There are different strains of SARS-CoV-2, but different strains don't always mean you need different treatments. That depends on the difference from one virus to another. There is evidence that this particular disease does not mutate that much, which means that an effective treatment is likely to confer much broader protection than other viruses. This is also the rationale behind mass vaccination campaigns in general--if everyone is vaccinated for the measles and it can't establish a reservoir it can't mutate; if people don't get vaccinated the disease has an opportunity to mutate, which would then render the vaccine less effective.

In the case of the flu, there are almost 200 different subtypes and 131 types that have been found in people, but what you are commonly vaccinated against are H1N1, H3N2 (both flu A types) and two types of flu B. Within those viruses, there is enough genetic differentiation to make the vaccine a moving target--they try to zero in on the unique characteristics of the viruses of that year. The ability of flu to mutate rapidly is why treatments like amantadine is now functionally worthless (and why Tamiflu soon will be, too).

HIV is even more prone to mutation than the flu, but I don't like the analogy of it being a genius--it mutates so readily because its proofreading enzymes are really inaccurate. Nevertheless, that's why you need combination therapy to keep it in check; as it mutates so rapidly, the odds of resistance become virtually certain if on a single therapy. There are numerous different groups of HIV-1 (M, N, O, P) and within those groups there are subtypes, and within those subtypes there are numerous strains, and those strains can develop resistance to therapies over time, and sometimes clinicians even use that to their advantage. One of the reasons why many people starting out on anti-HIV therapy begin with a regimen with emtricitabine is because the mutation that confers resistance to it (M184, IIRC) actually make the virus less "fit".

What is the point of all this?

Viruses that are more likely to mutate are harder to treat because your initial therapies are less likely to work as the genetic code of the virus changes over time. Given that SARS-CoV-2 has shown little mutation to this point, the odds of a vaccine conferring superior protection in comparison to a flu vaccine are likely if we can find one that stimulates an adequate immune response.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:26 PM 06-12-2020
Possibly. But then so could other effective treatments for that matter.
Why do you always have to play some contrarian dumb shit? A vaccine would "possibly" get us back to normal faster? Things won't go back to normal until a vast majority of people aren't scared and a lot of people aren't going to lose their fear just because there are some ways to treat COVID19. A large number of people say they aren't going back to their previous lifestyle until there is a vaccine.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:31 PM 06-12-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
This is an easy issue become confused about because the language we use to describe it isn't very precise.

There are different strains of SARS-CoV-2, but different strains don't always mean you need different treatments. That depends on the difference from one virus to another. There is evidence that this particular disease does not mutate that much, which means that an effective treatment is likely to confer much broader protection than other viruses. This is also the rationale behind mass vaccination campaigns in general--if everyone is vaccinated for the measles and it can't establish a reservoir it can't mutate; if people don't get vaccinated the disease has an opportunity to mutate, which would then render the vaccine less effective.

In the case of the flu, there are almost 200 different subtypes and 131 types that have been found in people, but what you are commonly vaccinated against are H1N1, H3N2 (both flu A types) and two types of flu B. Within those viruses, there is enough genetic differentiation to make the vaccine a moving target--they try to zero in on the unique characteristics of the viruses of that year. The ability of flu to mutate rapidly is why treatments like amantadine is now functionally worthless (and why Tamiflu soon will be, too).

HIV is even more prone to mutation than the flu, but I don't like the analogy of it being a genius--it mutates so readily because its proofreading enzymes are really inaccurate. Nevertheless, that's why you need combination therapy to keep it in check; as it mutates so rapidly, the odds of resistance become virtually certain if on a single therapy. There are numerous different groups of HIV-1 (M, N, O, P) and within those groups there are subtypes, and within those subtypes there are numerous strains, and those strains can develop resistance to therapies over time, and sometimes clinicians even use that to their advantage. One of the reasons why many people starting out on anti-HIV therapy begin with a regimen with emtricitabine is because the mutation that confers resistance to it (M184, IIRC) actually make the virus less "fit".

What is the point of all this?

Viruses that are more likely to mutate are harder to treat because your initial therapies are less likely to work as the genetic code of the virus changes over time. Given that SARS-CoV-2 has shown little mutation to this point, the odds of a vaccine conferring superior protection in comparison to a flu vaccine are likely if we can find one that stimulates an adequate immune response.
Thanks for the breakdown! Cant wait for Pete to chime in with some response about us not knowing everything about this virus so who knows what it's really like and then claiming something about masks not working.
[Reply]
Eleazar 12:32 PM 06-12-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Why do you always have to play some contrarian dumb shit? A vaccine would "possibly" get us back to normal faster? Things won't go back to normal until a vast majority of people aren't scared and a lot of people aren't going to lose their fear just because there are some ways to treat COVID19. A large number of people say they aren't going back to their previous lifestyle until there is a vaccine.
and just as many would refuse to get the vaccine even if there was one
[Reply]
Renegade 12:39 PM 06-12-2020

Do you have any idea how long Lysol has said on their packaging it kills the Corona virus? How long did it take before we had a cure for Polio? I am sure they were saying the same you are, there will never be a cure.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:40 PM 06-12-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
and just as many would refuse to get the vaccine even if there was one
Sure, but at least at that point it starts to become one's own choice in the matter. I wear a mask when I'm out these days not because I'm worried for my own safety but because I think it's the best way to keep vulnerable people safe.

If I've been vaccinated and I go to the store and come across an 80-year-old not wearing a mask who hasn't, that's their choice. Right now, someone like that doesn't have much of a choice but to hide or take their chances.
[Reply]
Page 2326 of 3903
« First < 1326182622262276231623222323232423252326 232723282329233023362376242628263326 > Last »
Up