ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 163 of 324
« First < 63113153159160161162163 164165166167173213263 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 02:06 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
back to defense-and I'm not sure what the plan is...but-
If you cut Houston...well, I think you have to. Right? I mean it doesn't make sense not to.

And you tag Ford to play him. You're keeping one of your premier pass rushers. You're transferring most of Houston's salary to Ford, essentially, with like $4 million left over.

You need a SAM, you need a veteran safety. You really should have an older veteran type DE for depth and rotational purposes. You need at least one CB.

You need to draft CB's, a S, and an Edge/DE. A corner may need to be a day one starter.
What are the odds that Houston would restructure and could make the transition to a rushing DE ala Neil Smith?
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 02:07 PM 02-19-2019
If Houston wouldn't restructure, where could he go to make the money he would want and still be able to realistically compete for a ring?
[Reply]
RunKC 02:10 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
Exactly, and what happened. Teams immediately shut down the run and Mahomes was throwing again to squeak out a win.
Offense went into a shell in the second half bc Andy was playing not to lose.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 02:38 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I think so too, but if Houston's really not going to restructure, then you just can't pay him $21 million. You just can't.

I like him better than Ford as I think he's a much more complete player, but I don't see how it happens.
I agree he is a way better fit than Ford. However, I do think he restructures, because it nets him the most money. Well, not restructuring, but extending, and converting salary to bonus.

Also, keep in mind that you aren't paying Houston $21M by keeping him. You're on the hook for $7M no matter what. The amount you are looking at saving vs spending is $14M. That's all you can save. Do you think there is another player on the free market you can get who will only cost $14M this year and has Houston's ability?
[Reply]
O.city 02:39 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
I agree he is a way better fit than Ford. However, I do think he restructures, because it nets him the most money. Well, not restructuring, but extending, and converting salary to bonus.

Also, keep in mind that you aren't paying Houston $21M by keeping him. You're on the hook for $7M no matter what. The amount you are looking at saving vs spending is $14M. That's all you can save. Do you think there is another player on the free market you can get who will only cost $14M this year and has Houston's ability?
Probably not.

But devils advocate, with that money I could potentially get 2 or 3 players and make up that value that way.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:42 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Probably not.

But devils advocate, with that money I could potentially get 2 or 3 players and make up that value that way.
You could also tag and trade Ford, let his injury history be someone else's problem, retain Houston, AND get a couple of extra draft picks.

Restructure Houston and go ahead and get those 2 or 3 FA's you wanted.

Getting rid of Ford could realistically net you 4-5 new faces next year. Getting rid of Houston just a couple.
[Reply]
jjchieffan 02:43 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:

Certainly you can. At least if you're talking cap hit. You can sign anyone and keep the first year cap low by making it up in a signing bonus. And since you specifically said, this year, that makes it doable. You could pay someone a $1 million base salary, $20 million signing bonus on a 4 year deal and only have a $6 million cap hit this year, but the player is getting $21 million.
[Reply]
O.city 02:53 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
You could also tag and trade Ford, let his injury history be someone else's problem, retain Houston, AND get a couple of extra draft picks.

Restructure Houston and go ahead and get those 2 or 3 FA's you wanted.

Getting rid of Ford could realistically net you 4-5 new faces next year. Getting rid of Houston just a couple.
Pretty much.

I'm guessing they think or see Ford as a better player and are ready to move on from Houston and if that's the case, well, I guess it is what it is.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:54 PM 02-19-2019
Pretty much.

I'm guessing they think or see Ford as a better player and are ready to move on from Houston and if that's the case, well, I guess it is what it is.
It's just discouraging, especially after what just happened with Berry. Makes one wonder if they really know what they're doing on that side of the ball.
[Reply]
New World Order 02:55 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate:
If Houston wouldn't restructure, where could he go to make the money he would want and still be able to realistically compete for a ring?
Indy could afford him
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:55 PM 02-19-2019
And quite frankly, they're going to have to replace Ford either this year or next. They can't give him a long-term contract after tagging him, that would be monumentally stupid.

If Ford is indispensable and can't be replaced now, nothing is going to change next year either. What confidence should we have that they can actually build a Super Bowl defense?
[Reply]
O.city 02:56 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
It's just discouraging, especially after what just happened with Berry. Makes one wonder if they really know what they're doing on that side of the ball.
I think Ford IS currently a better player than Houston. I think Houston is more well rounded but at this point, he's probably not elite at any one thing.
[Reply]
O.city 02:57 PM 02-19-2019
If you tag Ford, you pretty much have to draft someone fairly early to replace him next year.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:57 PM 02-19-2019
I think Ford IS currently a better player than Houston. I think Houston is more well rounded but at this point, he's probably not elite at any one thing.
The thing is, you could get probably 2 guys for Houston. Can you replace him with that? It's probably 50/50.

If you could get 4 guys for Ford and not be able to replace him? They'r done, there's no hope. If they can't get one 10-sack guy in 4 spots, their clueless.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 02:58 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by New World Order:
Indy could afford him
Check! Thanks. That could be a problem, potentially.
[Reply]
Page 163 of 324
« First < 63113153159160161162163 164165166167173213263 > Last »
Up