ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2202 of 3903
« First < 1202170221022152219221982199220022012202 220322042205220622122252230227023202 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 09:29 AM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by alnorth:
We are not going to stay home and stay publicly apart for more than a year while waiting for a vaccine (even early 2021 is thought to be optimistic). We could have aggressively locked down and quarantined anyone with symptoms in February, like other nations successfully did. Once we failed to do that, by March it was too late.

When the NFL and college football starts up, the people are going to collectively go "ok damn it, enough of this, let us assume the risk", and not want to listen to arguments about how they would therefore be infecting people at home or the store who didn't want to take the risk.
I agree to an extent. The other part of the problem is the 2 sides that get painted inaccurately:

Side 1: This is a death sentence if you get it and you're a selfish fuck if you don't hide in your house in a plastic bubble or go outside in a space suit.

Side 2: Fuck this, if I get it I get it.

Neither is accurate but people tend to lean one way or the other. The media doesn't help either side but particularly they are on side 1 for the most part. They want tragedy, pain and suffering. Their ratings thrive on it.

The reality is this can be a deadly virus and particularly for certain high-risk individuals. But in large part the virus is mild if you get it and most certainly not a automatic death sentence like AIDS once was.
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:50 AM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I was curious how it would look at the Lake of the Ozarks and I am not surprised. We had a shit ton of traffic come through here yesterday and today.

It's fucking crazy here too
[Reply]
SAUTO 10:05 AM 05-24-2020
Damn now three dead in Henry county?
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 10:17 AM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I agree it was stupid for the person to show up if they were symptomatic. Now, define symptomatic because in this case we don't know what it is, right? Was it symptoms easily confused with allergies during a bad allergy season? Was she running a fever? Coughing?
We will never know At this stage in the game, stay the **** home and listen I realize this person probably needs to make money but cmon.

When I go back into the office I am going to be the symptom Nazi. I had a co-worker in the office across from me that her and her husband went on a cruise in late Jan-early February. She came back and coughed non stop for 2 weeks. That shit ain't happening anymore.
Why are we not allowed to know the symptoms the hairdresser was showing? Seems strange. It shouldn’t be a HIPAA issue if the hairdresser isn’t identified and hopefully she never is with the way they’re reporting this story. The only thing I’ve been able to find is that the symptoms were very minor. When digging through the Springfield-Greene county health district Facebook it seems a few people are trying to get answers of the symptoms and are being ignored. There are also some claiming to know her that says she got tested by an urgent care clinic and they told her it was allergies and she didn’t have enough symptoms for a test

I can vouch that the system is broken right now. I had “minor” symptoms earlier in the week with a low grade fever but still not enough for any actual symptoms according to the CDC. I don’t have a primary physician because mine died a few years back and I’ve been too busy and healthy lately to find a new one. So I called my health insurance and they referred me to urgent cares or teleconference doctors appointments to try and line up a test. The lady at the health board said my main “symptom” would be all the travel I do for work. Are they considering this lady traveling to be her “symptom”?

Anyways, the teleconference with the doctor just charged me 25 bucks to ask a bunch of questions without ever teleconferencing in. They then gave me a work release saying it was a sinus infection and that I should be good to go back to work Friday

I then called the health board back and asked if I should return to work on Friday after getting a note from a nurse practitioner that didn’t actually even see me. She said that she wouldn’t recommend it and referred me to another teleconference doctor recommended by the health board this time but the earliest they can see me is Tuesday morning. I told her technically I would need a doctors notes stating that I have symptoms keeping me from work until then , but the doctor is the only one who can write that work release.

I decided to play it safe and assume that the doctor I talk to on Tuesday will just give me a backdated work release (especially since my temp spiked over 100 yesterday) but I’ve been able to work through all of this stuff unaffected so far. I can’t say I would have played it safe under the same circumstances if I haven’t been paid in a couple months. Especially in an industry that’s obviously so busy right now.

Also, during the press conference announcing the news and berating the hairdresser for all of this contact tracing they’ve had to do, they somehow forgot the 6 foot distance and mask rules. For 20 minutes you see Clay Goddard standing RIGHT NEXT to the signer and both are clearly foregoing all of the CDC guidelines. I’m so glad I don’t live near there. That Clay Goddard seems like a complete idiot the more I look into this. “Do as we say, not as we do”
[Reply]
petegz28 10:38 AM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by :
There are also some claiming to know her that says she got tested by an urgent care clinic and they told her it was allergies and she didn’t have enough symptoms for a test
If that is true then why wouldn't she go to work?
[Reply]
petegz28 10:56 AM 05-24-2020
Study: A majority of the population may have 'some degree' of preexisting immunity to COVID-19
Up to 60% of the population may have at least some protection against the virus.

Anew study from scientists in the United States suggests that a significant majority of the population may already have some level of immunity to the coronavirus, a possible explanation for why so many individuals seem to experience few to no symptoms from the disease.

The study, written by researchers in California, New York and North Carolina and soon to be published in the journal Cell, discovered that certain types of cells in blood samples taken from donors in 2015-2018—well before COVID-19 arose—were reactive against the COVID-19 virus. In other words, those blood samples were at least partially immune from the coronavirus even though they had never been exposed to it.

"CD4+ T cell responses were detected in 40-60% of unexposed individuals. This may be reflective of some degree of crossreactive, preexisting immunity to SARS- CoV-2 in some, but not all, individuals," the researchers state in the paper.

The scientists are careful to qualify their conclusions. "Whether this immunity is relevant in influencing clinical outcomes is unknown—and cannot be known without T cell measurements before and after SARS- CoV-2 infection of individuals—but it is tempting to speculate that the crossreactive CD4+ T cells may be of value in protective immunity," they write.

The research could provide an important clue for public health officials hoping to figure out why significant numbers of COVID-19 infections are either asymptomatic or else largely mild. The disease affects elderly and less healthy individuals most severely, with younger and healthy individuals for the most part spared its worst effects.

Though the term "coronavirus" has become ubiquitous in recent weeks as a way to describe the virus causing the current pandemic, coronaviruses are actually a variegated strain of infectious agents that cause illnesses ranging from the common cold to SARS.

The researchers in their paper suggest that the immune response seen in the uninfected blood samples could have been generated by the coronaviruses that cause the common cold.

https://justthenews.com/politics-pol...ve-some-degree
[Reply]
petegz28 11:01 AM 05-24-2020
Michigan extends stay at home until mid-June......
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 11:09 AM 05-24-2020
I was curious how it would look at the Lake of the Ozarks and I am not surprised. We had a shit ton of traffic come through here yesterday and today.

Looks like a great time. Lots of social distancing being practiced.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 11:20 AM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Michigan extends stay at home until mid-June......
I feel bad for some of those people. What a crazy situation.
[Reply]
limested 11:27 AM 05-24-2020
https://theconversation.com/masks-he...wearing-138507
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 11:27 AM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
I feel bad for some of those people. What a crazy situation.
I feel bad for all the people that died that didnt have to because people didn't practice social distancing.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:31 AM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by stevieray:
We do that every single day, as it is.
That's pithy, but it's an oversimplification. There are all kinds of risks that people take, but risks are not binary. Driving the speed limit for two miles with your seat belt on is an assumed risk, but it is altogether different from driving 110 in the middle of town with a BAC of 0.25.

There was risk to Londoners during the Blitz, but it's not the same risk as running throughout the streets or leaving their lights on during bombing raids.

Sheltering in place for a few months and then limiting your contact with others and practicing good hygiene and social distancing for several months thereafter is not surrendering the entirety of your life, and it's flatly insulting to those who are going to have to risk their lives (healthcare workers) to treat people that get sick because they can't stay away from a pool or a bar for a summer.
[Reply]
Donger 11:34 AM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by limested:
https://theconversation.com/masks-he...wearing-138507
There are numerous studies that suggest if 80% of people wear a mask in public, then COVID-19 transmission could be halted. Until a vaccine or a cure for COVID-19 is discovered, cloth face masks might be the most important tool we currently have to fight the pandemic.

I'd like to read these studies.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 11:37 AM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
I feel bad for all the people that died that didnt have to because people didn't practice social distancing.
Just the ones in the past few months or in the history of man?

How bad do you feel for those in NY nursing homes sent to the slaughter when their Governor sent infected people back in?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:40 AM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Just the ones in the past few months or in the history of man?
Well, as we can't yet go back in time and distribute tens of millions of doses of doxycycline or streptomycin around 14th century Europe for example, I'm going to assume he's referring to the things that we can actually change now with a few seconds of effort and the horrible discomfort of cotton rubbing against your nose for a little while.
[Reply]
Page 2202 of 3903
« First < 1202170221022152219221982199220022012202 220322042205220622122252230227023202 > Last »
Up