ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 17
« First < 678910 11121314 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Looks like Speaks put in work this offseason...
NIUhuskies 04:10 PM 05-21-2019
but not at the gym...jesus christ does he look fat and out of shape. i'm sure the coaches were thrilled

I wanted to believe...I truly did... pic.twitter.com/wB32u1cYSB

— Arrowhead Live (@ArrowheadLive) May 21, 2019

vs last yr

#Chiefs’ rookie Breeland Speaks made his presence felt against the Jaguars, totaling seven pressures (2 QB Hits and 5 QB Hurries) on a career-high 56 defensive snaps. He played a combined 60 defensive snaps in weeks 1-4, per @PFF. pic.twitter.com/0sacM3II3B

— BJ Kissel (@ChiefsReporter) October 9, 2018

[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:31 PM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
What I don't understand is how they could've found themselves where they were, watching that board fall the way it fell, with a clear willingness to move up and an emphasis on the Edge....and DIDN'T go get Harold Landry. I was surprised he fell out of the 1st and when he just kept slipping in the 2nd, if you're hard up enough on Edge with that pick that you'll trade up for !@#$ing Speaks, man go get Landry.

Eh...whatever. There weren't a ton of amazing options and I'm not gonna lie and say I was all over Fred Warner (I liked Justin Reid a fair amount at that spot, though). I just wish we wouldn't have gotten such terrible tunnel vision and when good options dried up at Edge, just took the last of what we thought was tolerable.

I mean how nice would Dallas Goedert look right now? Christian Kirk? Carlton Davis? Speaks just looks like such a panic pick.
Goedert would be amazing, but we know each is no genius.

That being said, I can't believe people are making a big deal about a 4-3 D-lineman being a little heavy. I mean, people on CP literally refer to them as "fatties." WTF did people expect?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:39 PM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Goedert would be amazing, but we know each is no genius.

That being said, I can't believe people are making a big deal about a 4-3 D-lineman being a little heavy. I mean, people on CP literally refer to them as "fatties." WTF did people expect?
The big deal is that he didn't just look heavy last year - he looked slow because he was heavy. Chris Jones is no Adonis but he moves well. Khalen Saunders isn't svelt but looks like he can move. Xavier Williams as surprisingly explosive for a guy with his build. These are fattys that can move.

Speaks, at the same weight he has this year, didn't look like an NFL caliber athlete. And he didn't look like a guy who was carrying good weight at all. His play strength looked poor and he looked like a guy without the athleticism to compensate for it.

So do SOMETHING. Get stronger. Get faster. Do something to turn yourself into a legitimate NFL prospect. Shed weight to get faster or convert weight to get stronger. Don't just come back as the same soft, slow, fundamentally underdeveloped player you were last year when you were largely a waste of a roster spot.

I see a guy that's simply tread water for a year and because of that he'll come to camp with the same problems he had as a rookie. They may be less exacerbated by the position change, but they'll still prevent him from being any kind of true asset apart from a warm body.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 01:43 PM 05-24-2019
The big deal is that he didn't just look heavy last year - he looked slow because he was heavy. Chris Jones is no Adonis but he moves well. Khalen Saunders isn't svelt but looks like he can move. Xavier Williams as surprisingly explosive for a guy with his build. These are fattys that can move.

Speaks, at the same weight he has this year, didn't look like an NFL caliber athlete. And he didn't look like a guy who was carrying good weight at all. His play strength looked poor and he looked like a guy without the athleticism to compensate for it.

So do SOMETHING. Get stronger. Get faster. Do something to turn yourself into a legitimate NFL prospect. Shed weight to get faster or convert weight to get stronger. Don't just come back as the same soft, slow, fundamentally underdeveloped player you were last year when you were largely a waste of a roster spot.

I see a guy that's simply tread water for a year and because of that he'll come to camp with the same problems he had as a rookie. They may be less exacerbated by the position change, but they'll still prevent him from being any kind of true asset apart from a warm body.
This is pretty much where I’m at. If you’re making millions as a pro athlete, you have to sacrifice to be great. That means hiring a dietitian to plan your meals. Hiring a strength and conditioning coach and fully dedicating yourself. Studying in the film room without being forced to do so.

It’s a ridiculously competitive business. If you aren’t bettering yourself, your replacement is.
[Reply]
New World Order 01:52 PM 05-24-2019

He weighs 285 and is probably done adding the right size. He may be able to shed some fat and get a tad quicker, but for the most part he isn't going to change that much physically.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:57 PM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
This is pretty much where I’m at. If you’re making millions as a pro athlete, you have to sacrifice to be great. That means hiring a dietitian to plan your meals. Hiring a strength and conditioning coach and fully dedicating yourself. Studying in the film room without being forced to do so.

It’s a ridiculously competitive business. If you aren’t bettering yourself, your replacement is.
And look at it this way - is a fat Speaks a better DT than Justin Hamilton? Is he more explosive? Stronger? Smarter? More agile? More skilled?

No, he isn't. He may not be clearly worse in any of those categories (though I think he is in a few), but he's not better in any of them to my eyes. And Hamilton was a UDFA that bounced around 4 different organizations before getting some run here. He's as fungible as fungible gets.

And near as I can see, that's about the best we can hope for from a fat Speaks as an IDL. And if he's playing a 5 tech or wider, that's no bueno at all with that build.

Our second round pick is screaming towards JAG status and we're getting "so what? He's always been fat...."

That's...not great.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:58 PM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by New World Order:
He weighs 285 and is probably done adding the right size. He may be able to shed some fat and get a tad quicker, but for the most part he isn't going to change that much physically.
Then he's going to remain a bad football player.

A soft 285 with a sub-standard 1st step, mediocre agility and no hand-technique to speak of means you're a rotational DL until the team finds someone to replace you.

There are enough options on this roster to do that if Veach is willing to look at this without considering the acquisition costs.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 02:10 PM 05-24-2019
I’m going to simplify this for everyone.

Speaks as a fat fuck = below average NFL player
Speaks as not a fat fuck and in better shape = potentially above average NFL player
Speaks in great shape after gaining good weight = potentially really good NFL player

Better shape = Better player
[Reply]
New World Order 02:15 PM 05-24-2019
Then he's going to remain a bad football player.

A soft 285 with a sub-standard 1st step, mediocre agility and no hand-technique to speak of means you're a rotational DL until the team finds someone to replace you.

There are enough options on this roster to do that if Veach is willing to look at this without considering the acquisition costs.
Well, he did look like an all-pro vs Jax and was able to at least get a couple pressures on Brady when we played NE the first time.

He did flash a bit. It's not like he showed absolutely nothing his first year.

I just don't know if there's any room for him. We gave Okafor about 10 million dollars for the next 2 seasons. Jones, Nnadi and Saunders will be in the middle.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:17 PM 05-24-2019
Well, he did look like an all-pro vs Jax and was able to at least get a couple pressures on Brady when we played NE the first time.

I just don't know if there's any room for him. We gave Okafor about 10 million dollars for the next 2 seasons. Jones, Nnadi and Saunders will be in the middle.
All good points. Even if Veach can't evaluate edge talent, our new coaches can. We'll know whether or not he can plan very soon.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:18 PM 05-24-2019
Wow you have to be an excellent talent evaluator to be able to tell that a guy hasn’t improved from pics in May.

:-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:24 PM 05-24-2019

All Pro? C'mon - against Jacksonville's 3rd string tackle he looked like an NFL player for really his only time last season. And shit like this:

Second time this game that a quick set and early punch has floored Speaks. He kinda has one move right now that OTs are able to time up at times, and when they catch him leaning into the long arm before the big club, it's not good. pic.twitter.com/LRATwrYbxD

— Matt Lane (@ChiefinCarolina) October 9, 2018

Still happened. I mean look at that - dude just got punched to the grass. By a backup. And not a particularly good backup at that - that's Josh Walker; a G playing T with 5 years in the league and exactly 4 starts. That was his first appearance of the season and he rag-dolled our boy like he was Willie Roaf. He'll probably not make a roster next year.

I just can't agree with you - he pretty much showed exactly 'absolutely nothing' last year. The guy was bad.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:31 PM 05-24-2019
Oh and by the way - he's effectively playing DE there. Sure, it would be the LEO and there's no chance of him doing that for us here; more of a 4 technique kind of spot as the SDE. But he still had absolutely no chance even coming out of a 3-point stance. Just running in quicksand and the backup to the backup just posterizes him.

That was his BEST game, mind you. When a dude who'd played 4 snaps in 2017 and got to play only because the Jags lost 2 starting LTs pancaked his ass.

But he, he was fat last year and he's fat this year so we're okay because we have a new DC or something like that.
[Reply]
RunKC 02:39 PM 05-24-2019
I just can't agree with you - he pretty much showed exactly 'absolutely nothing' last year. The guy was bad.
He flashed at times last season and yes I will show the tape if I have to prove it
[Reply]
staylor26 02:42 PM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
He flashed at times last season and yes I will show the tape if I have to prove it
Dale
[Reply]
Skyy God 04:35 PM 05-24-2019
I can see KPass being more impactful in 2019 than Speaks.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 17
« First < 678910 11121314 > Last »
Up