ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 87 of 240
« First < 37778384858687 8889909197137187 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Andy Reid is a terrible head football coach
rabblerouser 09:43 AM 09-18-2015
Andy Reid got depantsed in the Super Bowl by Bruce Arians.

Bruce Fucking Arians and Tom Fucking Brady.

Well, you see, Andy Reid is an offensive genius, and how dare we question Andy Reid's genius in not running the ball and not utilizing the screen pass in the face of an epically brutal pass rush, a patchwork offensive line and a QB with a hurt toe?

How dare we question his geniusness?

Oh, and Spags? The "great Brady Killer"? They had his defense figured out by the 2nd quarter and he couldn't adjust it. He was Bob Sutton Jr.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:42 AM 09-20-2018
Mahomes has 10 TDs in the first 2 games, a benchmark which has never been met before. Playcalling isn't good enough.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:42 AM 09-20-2018
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
As far as Reid as a gameday coach, he's one of the best.

Deferring at halftime: I watch CP idiots complain about that and quite frankly it's the better option by far. Belichick does it all the time. If executed properly it allows you to create a 14 point swing before the opposing team even has a chance to respond.

His clock management is waaaay overblown. I can see what he's attempting to do at the end of halves most of the time. But everything has to go according to plan, otherwise you're left with too little time. There's been very few instances in which i thought he didn't do a good job with the clock.
How many times have we seen a predictable pattern of us playing prevent to hold a lead, and us abandoning a successful passing game for conservative "hold the clock" dink and dunk for the same reason. We've lost two playoff games where we dominated the first half. We saw it last year in Atlanta. We saw it both games this season. He's had less puzzling clock management in kc so far, but he still falls back to this pattern that turns dominant performances into unnecessary nailbiters.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:44 AM 09-20-2018
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Mike Tomlin a guy who's never had a losing record in 12 years been to 2 super bowls and won 1 is a bad coach. I've seen it all on here.
Steelers front office is one of the best. He also got Cowher’s loaded roster and Big Ben.
[Reply]
O.city 10:45 AM 09-20-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The thing is, coaching in the NFL is the icing on the cake. It's not that Tomlin is a good coach or a bad coach (I think he's a horrible leader of men myself, he's a crybaby and his team reflects that), it's that not even Tomlin could screw up the amount of talent they had on that team during those years. A HOF QB and a stifling D is going to win a lot of games and few championships regardless of who the coach is.

It's just like the Bob Sutton argument here. The truly elite coaches make good units great but even great coaches can't make bad units good. Likewise, bad coaches can make great units good but they can't make great units bad.

Talent trumps everything else in the NFL, period.
I used to think this.

I think coaching is more important now.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:46 AM 09-20-2018
As far as Reid as a gameday coach, he's one of the best.

Deferring at halftime: I watch CP idiots complain about that and quite frankly it's the better option by far. Belichick does it all the time. If executed properly it allows you to create a 14 point swing before the opposing team even has a chance to respond.

His clock management is waaaay overblown. I can see what he's attempting to do at the end of halves most of the time. But everything has to go according to plan, otherwise you're left with too little time. There's been very few instances in which i thought he didn't do a good job with the clock.
Every time they complain about some play-calling problem, you can walk them through the half and they'll either point to a single drive (that usually has an overthrow or missed block or foul that wrecked the drive) or just offer some ham-fisted half response.

This idea that he just goes out there and makes shit up as he goes is just ridiculous. The guy doesn't just get dumb in the 3rd quarter. He's a fucking football savant. Now I will say what I've always said - it's HARD to be a playcaller and a HC; there's just so much to do that I think you're putting an unnecessary degree of difficulty in there that isn't needed.

At times I think he's stretched too thin and loses some overall awareness. But I also think that it's a hell of a lot less often than anyone will acknowledge. As a general rule, Andy is on top of shit and is more likely than damn near any coach out there to put his teams in a position to succeed down the stretch.

Or maybe he just wins 2/3 of his games in a cuthroat league built on parity and tight scores by accident. Yeah, I'm sure that's it.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:47 AM 09-20-2018
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
How many times have we seen a predictable pattern of us playing prevent to hold a lead, and us abandoning a successful passing game for conservative "hold the clock" dink and dunk for the same reason. We've lost two playoff games where we dominated the first half. We saw it last year in Atlanta. We saw it both games this season. He's had less puzzling clock management in kc so far, but he still falls back to this pattern that turns dominant performances into unnecessary nailbiters.
So you think that running the football with a multiple score lead is a bad idea when you have the leagues top running attacks? And this concept that he he doesn't throw the ball while nursing a lead is ridiculous. Did you not watch last week?
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:48 AM 09-20-2018
Originally Posted by O.city:
I used to think this.

I think coaching is more important now.
It's very important when two teams are evenly matched.

In most cases, teams playing the Steelers were already overmatched on both sides of the ball making Tomlin's contributions minimal. In games where the talent was equal, like some of their battles with the Patriots over the years, it was clear that in the end, a big part of the difference was that BB is head and shoulders a better coach.

Same with Sutton. Our defense is so bad, getting a new coordinator isn't going to make a difference.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:50 AM 09-20-2018
It's easy to scapegoat Alex Smith but don't forget, Andy Reid hand-picked him to run the offense. Reid has to share some off the blame on that one.
He also hand picked his ride out of here after getting the absolute most out of what Alex had to offer.

Sure, i guess he could've picked Geno Smith or Derek Carr instead, but i'm pretty fucking satisfied with how his ability to evaluate the QB has turned out.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:51 AM 09-20-2018
He also hand picked his ride out of here after getting the absolute most out of what Alex had to offer.

Sure, i guess he could've picked Geno Smith or Derek Carr instead, but i'm pretty fucking satisfied with how his ability to evaluate the QB has turned out.
No doubt. Just trying to keep the hyperbole to a minimum.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:52 AM 09-20-2018
Most fans don't actually understand what they're seeing, so it's always "Fire the coach" or "Bench the QB!"
And yes, I understand I've been complaining about Sutton.
The funny thing about the GREAT COACHES is...they pretty much always have a HOF QB.
[Reply]
Amnorix 10:53 AM 09-20-2018
Originally Posted by O.city:
Really, at this point, I think there's more parity and the league has closed the gap on the coaches etc. Back in the day, the top notch guys had a decided advantage. I just don't think that's there anymore due to rule changes, free agency, etc.
And there's the rub, right. Were they really THAT much better than everyone else, or did they just have a significantly better roster than everyone else with everyone else unable to steal their guys through free agency?
[Reply]
FAX 10:56 AM 09-20-2018
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Agreed. Literally every talking head has mentioned how awesome it is for Mahomes to have a genius like Reid on his side. This thread is an embarrassment.
I don't put much stock in what the talking nogs say (just me, personally), but I certainly agree with your second point ... and unfortunately, your third.

Regardless of one's field of work, the easiest way to tell if someone is good at their job is to ask their industry peers and their competitors. Among NFL coaches, Wally is highly regarded. Belichick is widely considered the GOAT and Wally has dusted the floor with him multiple times and in very important games. League coaches aren't ever thrilled about seeing Wally on the schedule.

IMO, a lot of fan complaints are based on what we heard from Philly Bitches ... Philly Bitches who are never happy with anything. I mean anything. Ever.

They ran Wally out of town weeping and rending their garments about his "game management problem" and his "time management problem" after he'd resurrected that despicable franchise and made them more than merely respectable (in a very tough division). I mean, think about it ... Philly Bitches just booed their SB MVP in his first home game. They are bitches. From Philly. And we're parroting them?

So Chiefs fans hear that and say, "Oh no!!! He has time management problems!!!" and use that mantra to criticize the fact that he prefers to win freaking football games more than generating grist for the highlight reels. They sound like a bunch of malfunctioning symbiotes or talking lemmings.

Wally saved this franchise's ass. Pure and simple.

Sad that some fans don't recognize it or acknowledge it. Very sad, actually.

FAX
[Reply]
O.city 10:56 AM 09-20-2018
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
And there's the rub, right. Were they really THAT much better than everyone else, or did they just have a significantly better roster than everyone else with everyone else unable to steal their guys through free agency?
I think it's def a factor. Right?
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:57 AM 09-20-2018
It's easy to scapegoat Alex Smith but don't forget, Andy Reid hand-picked him to run the offense. Reid has to share some off the blame on that one.
It was a great move. Reid + Alex lead the Chiefs out of the doldrums and into respectability.

Reid also replaced the guy with his optimal QB when the time was right. Not sure what he could have done better.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:59 AM 09-20-2018
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
It was a great move. Reid + Alex lead the Chiefs out of the doldrums and into respectability.

Reid also replaced the guy with his optimal QB when the time was right. Not sure what he could have done better.
Well that's certainly true but it's also 100% hindsight. 3 years ago when it appeared Alex Smith might retire a Chief with 1 playoff win, it sure didn't seem that way.
[Reply]
Page 87 of 240
« First < 37778384858687 8889909197137187 > Last »
Up