ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1153 of 3903
« First < 15365310531103114311491150115111521153 115411551156115711631203125316532153 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Deberg_1990 10:33 AM 04-06-2020
Premier League tentatively set to return in June. Sports!

BREAKING: The Premier League are at an advanced stage in talks with the Government over a return for football in June.

There is a tentative agreement for the top flight to resume behind closed doors after the 20 clubs mapped out a plan with officials.https://t.co/H3O645b9aG

— Anfield Watch (@AnfieldWatch) April 5, 2020

[Reply]
Donger 10:34 AM 04-06-2020
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said that new hospitalizations, ICU admissions and daily intubations are all down for the state.

"Those are all good signs," the governor said."

He added that those numbers, "would suggest a possible flattening of the curve."

Here were the number of new hospitalizations in New York over the past three days that the governor reported today:

Friday, April 3: 1,095
Saturday, April 4: 574
Sunday, April 5: 358
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:35 AM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Like New York hospitals were fine when it was peaking in Italy.

You’re using your own argument against yourself. It’s not likely to peak everywhere at the same time
The POINT was for hospitals to be pushed to their limit. Like I said - people stopped paying attention to 'the curve' once they posted it to their social media accounts. You don't want hospitals at 80% capacity at the peak here. You want them to take it right to 100%. That's how you get through this with the least amount avoidable harm.

Originally Posted by ghak99:
I'm having a really hard time following his math.
Don't - the math falls apart immediately.
[Reply]
O.city 10:39 AM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
The POINT was for hospitals to be pushed to their limit. Like I said - people stopped paying attention to 'the curve' once they posted it to their social media accounts. You don't want hospitals at 80% capacity at the peak here. You want them to take it right to 100%. That's how you get through this with the least amount avoidable harm.

Don't - the math falls apart immediately.
Why do we want them maxed out?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:42 AM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk:
Every projection model I have seen today has reduced their projected Cases/Deaths totals pretty dramatically...
They're weathermen putting their heads out the windows and telling you if it's raining.

There's not a single model that has proven useful throughout this. Remember the IMHE assumed successful social distancing and originally had NYC at greater than 70,000 hospitalized today.

They 'updated' their model yesterday and they're still off by 80%.

Again - these models haven't proven remotely useful or accurate at any step in this process. They have uncertainly levels so broad as to make them 'body sized' targets at best and even THEN they can't hit the target. They had 4 or 5 standard deviations between the top and bottom of their uncertainty curves and were STILL outside their margins.

They were trash. They provided NOTHING to the conversation.

Remember about 4 days ago when I punched numbers in excel and posted them on here with nothing more than a logarithmic best fit line and said "hey, the curve's already started to flatten a bit? and you can see it continuing to trend that direct?"

That was a GARBAGE attempt at any sort of useful statistical analysis and it was better than what we've gotten from the IMHE model. You could just punch those numbers in, map growth rates and see that we were turning a corner.

I just do not understand why we insist on pretending those things have added to the dialogue.
[Reply]
O.city 10:44 AM 04-06-2020
Something is off about the parameters they’re setting. I can’t figure it out how they’re that far off

Or maybe I just don’t understand them
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:46 AM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
They're weathermen putting their heads out the windows and telling you if it's raining.

There's not a single model that has proven useful throughout this. Remember the IMHE assumed successful social distancing and originally had NYC at greater than 70,000 hospitalized today.

They 'updated' their model yesterday and they're still off by 80%.

Again - these models haven't proven remotely useful or accurate at any step in this process. They have uncertainly levels so broad as to make them 'body sized' targets at best and even THEN they can't hit the target. They had 4 or 5 standard deviations between the top and bottom of their uncertainty curves and were STILL outside their margins.

They were trash. They provided NOTHING to the conversation.

Remember about 4 days ago when I punched numbers in excel and posted them on here with nothing more than a logarithmic best fit line and said "hey, the curve's already started to flatten a bit? and you can see it continuing to trend that direct?"

That was a GARBAGE attempt at any sort of useful statistical analysis and it was better than what we've gotten from the IMHE model. You could just punch those numbers in, map growth rates and see that we were turning a corner.

I just do not understand why we insist on pretending those things have added to the dialogue.
Models worked when you consider the fact they persuaded executive governments to shut down public activities.
[Reply]
Marcellus 10:47 AM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Doctors and medical expert don't mind being wrong and in certain cases prefer it , when the tumor comes back negative for cancer they are pretty happy they were wrong.
Works great for individual patients, not so much for a global economy.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:48 AM 04-06-2020
Why do we want them maxed out?
You asked 3 or 4 days ago why Missouri's 'peak' date was so far out - that's your answer.

If you sit there and hover at 80%, you'll be sitting there at 80% forever. You'll trade peak on the front for drag on the back. In the end your outcomes won't be any better (because you never had anyone the 80% scenario OR the 100% scenario who fell out of the pool for lack of capacity), but you'll have dragged it out unnecessarily.

Analogy time!!! What do you know about racing? Key to a fast lap is apexing your corners and being able to time your acceleration coming out of the backside of the turn. And to do that correctly, you need to time your deceleration nearly perfectly so that you dive into that corner and your lateral Gs will hold exactly as strong as needed at the apex of the curve. Then once you hit the apex you can mat the damn thing and come blasting out of the corner.

What coming well short of capacity is akin to is simply decelerating too much. Sure, you'll still make the turn, but you'll miss your apex point and you'll end up losing momentum and attack angle. You'll have never risked staying too tight and ending up sliding into the wall on the exit, but you'll also have lousy lap times.

It isn't important to just stay beneath the line - it's important to get as close to it as you can comfortably do so because that's how you achieve the best balance of outcomes and time.

There's even a comparison for going beyond capacity and 'passing under braking' as an extremely aggressive approach that will also yield worse outcomes but may be necessary if your prioritizing position over a stopwatch, but that's just too far in the weeds at that point.
[Reply]
O.city 10:51 AM 04-06-2020
Makes sense

You don’t want the ro to be 1 as it puts you in purgatory
[Reply]
Monticore 10:51 AM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Works great for individual patients, not so much for a global economy.
Economist get things wrong too. Plenty of doom and gloom coming from them as well.
[Reply]
Mr_Tomahawk 10:51 AM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said that new hospitalizations, ICU admissions and daily intubations are all down for the state.

"Those are all good signs," the governor said."

He added that those numbers, "would suggest a possible flattening of the curve."

Here were the number of new hospitalizations in New York over the past three days that the governor reported today:

Friday, April 3: 1,095
Saturday, April 4: 574
Sunday, April 5: 358
Great news. I don't buy much into the healthcare organization taking the weekends off which are reflected in the lower numbers as well.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:51 AM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Models worked when you consider the fact they persuaded executive governments to shut down public activities.
So we're cool with medical 'experts' telling white lies now?

And we're willing to deal with the very real possibility that, in so doing, they've actually defeated their stated purposes of flattening a curve (they've actually just created a flat line in many cases)? Because again - that doesn't win you anything, it simply delays the conflict.

Jesus - imagine applying this approach to anything in medicine or policy. This has NEVER been acceptable and now we're just gonna throw our hands up and say "well everyone sucked at what they were doing, but I guess the ends justify the means..."?

I just...can't even respond to that.
[Reply]
O.city 10:52 AM 04-06-2020
Discard that thread I posted earlier the dude was fear monger if

That is the contingency plan of it stays bad
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:52 AM 04-06-2020
Makes sense

You don’t want the ro to be 1 as it puts you in purgatory
Exactly.

0 new cases in Boone County since April 1. What do you think we've actually accomplished?
[Reply]
Page 1153 of 3903
« First < 15365310531103114311491150115111521153 115411551156115711631203125316532153 > Last »
Up