ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1495 of 3903
« First < 49599513951445148514911492149314941495 149614971498149915051545159519952495 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Bugeater 05:45 PM 04-17-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Not at that concentration.
Seriously? Even if it's being ran on the high end near 10ppm?
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 05:45 PM 04-17-2020
Not at that concentration.
So is that different than “inactivating” the virus as the CDC indicates chlorine will do?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...php/water.html

Originally Posted by :
There is no evidence that COVID-19 can be spread to humans through the use of pools, hot tubs or spas, or water playgrounds. Proper operation, maintenance, and disinfection (e.g., with chlorine and bromine) of pools, hot tubs or spas, and water playgrounds should inactivate the virus that causes COVID-19.

[Reply]
Bugeater 05:46 PM 04-17-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
If someone pisses in the pool, does that have any impact?
This I can say with confidence...the water will turn red and everyone will know it was you. DON'T PISS IN THE POOL.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:46 PM 04-17-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
INSERT MADE IN CHINA JOKE

“Our findings suggest that there is somewhere between 50- and 80-fold more infections in our county than what’s known by the number of cases than are reported by our department of public health," Dr. Eran Bendavid, the Stanford professor who led the study, told ABC News.
If the study's numbers are accurate, the true mortality and hospitalization rates of COVID-19 are both substantially lower than current estimates, and due to lag between infection and death, researchers project a true mortality rate between .12 and .20.
If the true mortality rate is 0.12, then it would be effectively impossible for New York to have more than 24,000 deaths when this is all said and done, and that is assuming that every single person in New York state is infected. Given that most of the recent tests have demonstrated positives in the high 30 percent range, even if you account for a high false negative rate and bump the rate from 38% to 47% (and this is not even testing a random sample; this is testing people most likely to have the virus), then you would already have a true mortality rate of

17,131/(20,000,000*0.47)=0.18% if no one else in New York dies
[Reply]
Bearcat 05:48 PM 04-17-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
non-political politic posts? That’s my thing.:-)

/I kid. Not serious disclaimer.
Yes.

Spoiler!

And...

Spoiler!

And...

Spoiler!

And...

Spoiler!

Apologies if I missed a few.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:48 PM 04-17-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Dr. Birx - not a US geography expert.
both her and that CDC guy put up way too complicated slides. They need to bullett point that info. Go to the 10K ft. level so people will pay attention.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:50 PM 04-17-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Seriously? Even if it's being ran on the high end near 10ppm?
Aren't most pools closer to 3-5 to avoid irritation?

Either way, it's not really all that important, because the dilution factor of the water will help prevent transmission on its own.
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 05:51 PM 04-17-2020
CP stop passing gas.....
https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=330675
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 05:51 PM 04-17-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
https://www.sccgov.org/sites/covid19...ard.aspx#cases

That's a link to the Santa Clara County COVID-19 site.

They're showing 1,833 cases with 69 deaths, so I'm not sure I understand this paper. Is it just an estimate based on ?
The way I read the study is they did random anti-body test and found the results to be around 3% of the population, per the study, this would mean:
Originally Posted by :
These prevalence estimates represent a range between 48,000 and 81,000 people infected in Santa Clara County by early April, 50-85-fold more than the number of confirmed cases. Conclusions The population prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in Santa Clara County implies that the infection is much more widespread than indicated by the number of confirmed cases.

[Reply]
Bugeater 05:55 PM 04-17-2020
Aren't most pools closer to 3-5 to avoid irritation?

Either way, it's not really all that important, because the dilution factor of the water will help prevent transmission on its own.
10 is the limit in the State of NE, but yeah, I generally tried to keep mine 4-6 ppm, irritation isn't really a factor if the ph is at the right level. As far as I know, running it higher is just pointlessly using up chemicals. But we're more concerned with germs than viruses. I am curious to see what's going to happen with them come summer, but I'll bet they're simply not going to open.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:55 PM 04-17-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
So is that different than “inactivating” the virus as the CDC indicates chlorine will do?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...php/water.html
We're having two different conversations here:

1) do you need to worry about getting it from pool water? No

2) Would chlorine in water at a concentration of a few ppm inactivate the virus? Quite a bit less likely. The products we use for disinfection of our laminar flow hoods still take a few minutes at much higher concentration (1-2 percent, which is 10,000-20,000 ppm) to exhibit a three log kill of virus.
[Reply]
Bugeater 05:59 PM 04-17-2020
We're having two different conversations here:

1) do you need to worry about getting it from pool water? No

2) Would chlorine in water at a concentration of a few ppm inactivate the virus? Quite a bit less likely. The products we use for disinfection of our laminar flow hoods still take a few minutes at much higher concentration (1-2 percent, which is 10,000-20,000 ppm) to exhibit a three log kill of virus.
:-) That's serious firepower there.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:59 PM 04-17-2020
10 is the limit in the State of NE, but yeah, I generally tried to keep mine 4-6 ppm, irritation isn't really a factor if the ph is at the right level. As far as I know, running it higher is just pointlessly using up chemicals. But we're more concerned with germs than viruses. I am curious to see what's going to happen with them come summer, but I'll bet they're simply not going to open.
Yeah, you're right on. Viruses aren't going to propagate in murky water like bacteria, protists, etc because they don't have a host. Because of that, there isn't really a public health concern from the water, just the proximity of people in the water.
[Reply]
Bugeater 06:05 PM 04-17-2020
Yeah, you're right on. Viruses aren't going to propagate in murky water like bacteria, protists, etc because they don't have a host. Because of that, there isn't really a public health concern from the water, just the proximity of people in the water.
Ah, good to know. I have to renew my license every 2 years, and viruses have never been a topic, although there's never been anything like this going on in the 10 years I've been doing it.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 06:05 PM 04-17-2020
:-) That's serious firepower there.
It would be like diluting bleach in half and using that.

You have no idea.

Spore-forming bacteria are absolute bitches to kill. Seventy percent rubbing alcohol will not kill C-diff (which produces a diarrhea so foul it will clear out a hospital room), so you need special agents to get rid of nasty bugs like it and its brethren. Enter sporicides.

We use one called Peridox RTU that is a combination of hydrogen peroxide and acetic acid, which forms peroxyacetic acid. Imagine the nastiness of vinegar smell mixed with the funkiness of hydrogen peroxide, then spraying it in an enclosed area. It will turn your eyes into faucets, and unless you follow it up with 70% IPA (rubbing alcohol), it will rust out stainless steel.
[Reply]
Page 1495 of 3903
« First < 49599513951445148514911492149314941495 149614971498149915051545159519952495 > Last »
Up