ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>The O-line
KC Hawks 05:56 PM 09-20-2020
Did they get wasted last night??? How many penalties did they have??? Oh well... MY FAVORITE TEAM WON!!
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:45 PM 09-21-2020
The OL didn't play all that well yesterday, but that was against one of the premier pass-rushing fronts in the NFL, with two of the best pass-rushers in football. Let's also keep in mind that we have two guys at guard trying to mesh with our other OL starters, and as we saw last season, that might take a few weeks for them to really gel.

Also, the air quality really can make a difference in how an athlete performs. Not only can it effect one's physical performance, but it can have an effect on your mental performance as well. It can make you pretty foggy-minded, give you a headache, etc. as well as make it hard to breathe or catch your breath. That may have been a factor as well.

Anyway, the Ravens don't have a pass rush like that, and I think the Chiefs OL will play better against the Ravens.
[Reply]
Rasputin 04:37 PM 09-21-2020
Wylie has ACME shoes.
[Reply]
JakeF 07:09 PM 09-21-2020
I been saying all along that we need to upgrade our Oline and people just got pissed because i DARED to question Veach and Andy about their lineup.

Without Pennel and Saunders, Chris Jones showed his shitty run defense again too.
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:17 PM 09-21-2020
Originally Posted by JakeF:
I been saying all along that we need to upgrade our Oline and people just got pissed because i DARED to question Veach and Andy about their lineup.

Without Pennel and Saunders, Chris Jones showed his shitty run defense again too.
The OL isn't playing up to their level of the last quarter of 2019, and has a couple new pieces that need to gel, but there's no reason at all not to think that they'll be back to that level in a couple three weeks.

Chris does this weird "I'm going to turn sideways to the line as I rush" thing that really hurts his ability to recognize what's going on in the backfield. He needs to stay square to the line and give that shit up. But there's no reason to think he can't be good defending the run. He made some special plays in the playoffs last year against both the Titans and the 49ers.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 07:18 PM 09-21-2020

Well we kind of tried, unfortunately the rookie decided he wasn't in to it this year. Hard to really count on him for next year IMO.
[Reply]
JakeF 07:33 PM 09-21-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
The OL isn't playing up to their level of the last quarter of 2019, and has a couple new pieces that need to gel, but there's no reason at all not to think that they'll be back to that level in a couple three weeks.

Chris does this weird "I'm going to turn sideways to the line as I rush" thing that really hurts his ability to recognize what's going on in the backfield. He needs to stay square to the line and give that shit up. But there's no reason to think he can't be good defending the run. He made some special plays in the playoffs last year against both the Titans and the 49ers.
Fair take.

I still don't think that Wylie and Reiter are good enough though.
[Reply]
JakeF 07:37 PM 09-21-2020
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Well we kind of tried, unfortunately the rookie decided he wasn't in to it this year. Hard to really count on him for next year IMO.
True, LDT also bailed because he rather be a doctor.

If we had LDT and Niang we would probably be better off.

Washington had Trent Williams sitting there though. We trade for Williams to upgrade LT. Trade Fisher for a quality guard. We end upgrading both positions.

Our offensive line gets a big upgrade and we can stop worrying about the health of our HOF Quarterback.

:-)
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:43 PM 09-21-2020
Fair take.

I still don't think that Wylie and Reiter are good enough though.
Are they ideal? Maybe not. Can they probably do the job well enough for this offense to win another SB? Yeah, probably they are. They don't have to be All-World OLs, just good enough to win at their jobs consistently. As much as I've bagged on Reiter and Wylie, they are pretty good at pass pro. Not great at run-blocking, but good enough most of the time. I actually think they'll show better next Monday than they did yesterday.
[Reply]
JakeF 07:48 PM 09-21-2020
Are they ideal? Maybe not. Can they probably do the job well enough for this offense to win another SB? Yeah, probably they are. They don't have to be All-World OLs, just good enough to win at their jobs consistently. As much as I've bagged on Reiter and Wylie, they are pretty good at pass pro. Not great at run-blocking, but good enough most of the time. I actually think they'll show better next Monday than they did yesterday.
Wylie and his back-to-back penalties that almost fucked us. Reiter would make a perfect backup center. Hindsight is 20/20, we should have kept Hudson. We have been struggling at center ever since. Morse was decent but couldn't stay healthy.
[Reply]
Megatron96 08:07 PM 09-21-2020
Wylie and his back-to-back penalties that almost ****ed us. Reiter would make a perfect backup center. Hindsight is 20/20, we should have kept Hudson. We have been struggling at center ever since. Morse was decent but couldn't stay healthy.
The two holding calls on Wylie were textbook "ticky-tack" calls. I was shocked either one was called.
[Reply]
JakeF 08:13 PM 09-21-2020
The two holding calls on Wylie were textbook "ticky-tack" calls. I was shocked either one was called.
Those are the type of calls that go against a player that is struggling. The refs see the player hanging on by a thread and then gives the other guy the benefit of the doubt. Some players know how to cheat without getting a penalty called.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:40 PM 09-21-2020
Niang opted out because he was likely to go on IR. He wasn't going to play this year. :-)
[Reply]
Megatron96 08:50 PM 09-21-2020
Those are the type of calls that go against a player that is struggling. The refs see the player hanging on by a thread and then gives the other guy the benefit of the doubt. Some players know how to cheat without getting a penalty called.
His hands were within the framework of the shoulders. Unless it looked pretty egregious from another angle, it didn't look like holding to me. Not at the NFL level.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:00 PM 09-21-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Niang opted out because he was likely to go on IR. He wasn't going to play this year. :-)
And let's be honest: He's a third round Big 12 guy that was being asked to move to a different position, so there's no guarantee that he'd even be ready to contribute in 2020.

Add to that, there's a better than 50% chance that he'll wash out completely.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:01 PM 09-21-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
And let's be honest: He's a third round Big 12 guy that was being asked to move to a different position, so there's no guarantee that he'd even be ready to contribute in 2020.

Add to that, there's a better than 50% chance that he'll wash out completely.
Exactly. Long history of penciling in long shots to be starters.

This is CP.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up