Nzoner's Game Room>Sammy Watkins
FAX 09:26 PM 02-12-2020
Is a baller.

That's it. That's the thread.

FAX
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 03:30 PM 12-08-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
No one is paying the guy more than $3 million per and he'll be lucky to get $2 million per with incentives.

He's missed 13 games and counting in the past 3 seasons and has 1,487 yards and 8 TD's during that span.

The Chiefs have invested at least $40 million into Watkins so far, which is $5 million per TD or $26,900 dollars per yard.
But being the best weapon in the playoffs....... priceless
[Reply]
Dante84 03:54 PM 12-08-2020
No one is paying the guy more than $3 million per and he'll be lucky to get $2 million per with incentives.

He's missed 13 games and counting in the past 3 seasons and has 1,487 yards and 8 TD's during that span.

The Chiefs have invested at least $40 million into Watkins so far, which is $5 million per TD or $26,900 dollars per yard.
Right. So what I'm asking is, do we anticipate Veach offering a team-friendly deal to Watkins, and if so, do we anticipate Watkins accepting a team-friendly deal?

At some point there has to be a cost-benefit of keeping Watkins for his familiarity with the offense. So, what is that, and does Veach offer it, and does Watkins accept?
[Reply]
ThaVirus 04:13 PM 12-08-2020
There are a fuckton of WRs with expiring contracts after this season. Couple that with potential cap complications and a new draft class.. the market might drive down Watkins' rate.

But would we even want to keep him?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:14 PM 12-08-2020
Originally Posted by Dante84:
Right. So what I'm asking is, do we anticipate Veach offering a team-friendly deal to Watkins, and if so, do we anticipate Watkins accepting a team-friendly deal?

At some point there has to be a cost-benefit of keeping Watkins for his familiarity with the offense. So, what is that, and does Veach offer it, and does Watkins accept?
The Chiefs are already well over the cap for 2021 and since they've been winning without Watson this season, there's no reason to ask other players to negotiate their contracts so that Watkins can be overpaid, again.

As I previously mentioned, he'll be lucky to get $3 million on the open market because teams aren't paying him big bucks to sit on the bench half the season or more.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 04:18 PM 12-08-2020
Im with Dane on this one. Time to move on from Watkins. Good player just can't stay healthy. Not worth it
[Reply]
Dante84 04:23 PM 12-08-2020
The Chiefs are already well over the cap for 2021 and since they've been winning without Watson this season, there's no reason to ask other players to negotiate their contracts so that Watkins can be overpaid, again.

As I previously mentioned, he'll be lucky to get $3 million on the open market because teams aren't paying him big bucks to sit on the bench half the season or more.
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Im with Dane on this one. Time to move on from Watkins. Good player just can't stay healthy. Not worth it
Okay, I hear you guys. If we let Watkins walk to prevent us from spending ~$3M on the cap, do we then turn around and bring in a different FA and pay him more?

I'm definitely in favor of improving the WR2 spot. I just don't want us to get painted into having to draft WR with our 1st rounder if the right guy isn't there at 32.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:23 PM 12-08-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Yep.

Pay for play. Gotta be healthy.
[Reply]
MIAdragon 04:27 PM 12-08-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Yep.

Pay for play. Gotta be healthy.
Or come cheap
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:30 PM 12-08-2020
Okay, I hear you guys. If we let Watkins walk to prevent us from spending ~$3M on the cap, do we then turn around and bring in a different FA and pay him more?

I'm definitely in favor of improving the WR2 spot. I just don't want us to get painted into having to draft WR with our 1st rounder if the right guy isn't there at 32.
Draft a WR.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:36 PM 12-08-2020
Originally Posted by MIAdragon:
Or come cheap
True although at this point, I'm not even sure cheap is worth it. Need guys that can be on the field.
[Reply]
O.city 04:38 PM 12-08-2020
Draft a WR.
I'd sign one too.

The market is gonna be super saturated with them this offseason and this is gonna be a good draft. Could get someone on a nice 2 year deal.

Hell, you might be able to get Watkins back for peanuts.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:39 PM 12-08-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I'd sign one too.

The market is gonna be super saturated with them this offseason and this is gonna be a good draft. Could get someone on a nice 2 year deal.

Hell, you might be able to get Watkins back for peanuts.
I'd rather take a flyer on somebody who can stay healthy. I appreciate what he's done for the team but I'm just ready to move on.

I don't have much tolerance for guys that are constantly injured.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:40 PM 12-08-2020
True although at this point, I'm not even sure cheap is worth it. Need guys that can be on the field.
What's crazy is that he agreed to a reduced salary of $8 million, with incentives to reach $16 million and so far, he hasn't been worth $2 million.

Demarcus Robinson has more yards and the same number of TD's as Watkins, yet Robinson is playing on a Vet Min exception deal, which is around $2.2 million this season but counts zero against the cap, IIRC.

I'm not a Sammy "hater" by any stretch of the imagination but this offense relies on his highest paid weapons and Watkins just hasn't even been close to living up to his contract.
[Reply]
O.city 04:41 PM 12-08-2020
I'd rather take a flyer on somebody who can stay healthy. I appreciate what he's done for the team but I'm just ready to move on.

I don't have much tolerance for guys that are constantly injured.
Fair. I agree probably.

Would just depend on money.
[Reply]
alanm 04:41 PM 12-08-2020

Better not be drafting a WR with the 1st. Chiefs have more glaring holes else where. Most notably OL.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 30
« First < 41011121314 1516171824 > Last »
Up