ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 29 of 57
« First < 192526272829 3031323339 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****Official 2024 Royals Season Repository Thread*****
ChiefsCountry 11:36 AM 01-01-2024

Year Two of the Matt Quatraro tenure. Time to take a step up this year. Active in free agency and trades this offseason. A new look pitching rotation and bullpen. Will the young players take the leap up offensively? Bobby Witt extension? New stadium? Will Vinny recover from injury? Salvy taking aim at the Royals record book? Will Cole Ragans turn into the best Royals starting pitcher since Greinke 1.0?

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Seth Lugo, SP
Michael Wacha, SP
Kyle Wright, SP
Hunter Renfroe, OF/DH
Will Smith, RP
Chris Stratton, RP
Nick Anderson, RP
Adam Frazier, 2B
Garrett Hampson, INF/OF
Matt Sauer, RP
[Reply]
ChiefsFan63 10:21 AM 03-20-2024
Excited to be going to my second opening day. Hope it is warmer and with a LOT less rain than last time. I'm too old for that crap.
[Reply]
dlphg9 02:21 PM 03-20-2024
Originally Posted by Ocotillo:
The Rangers killed the 2020 Draft. It helped win them a World Series.
Huh?

The only person from the 2020 draft class that did anything was Evan Carter and he had a 1.6 bWAR. What am I missing here?
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:46 PM 03-20-2024
Oof. Ohtani may have fucked up BIG time. He or his translator stated he'd wired money personally to cover his translators gambling debts. Guessing both his own people and the Dodgers immediately jumped on how bad that is and changed the story to his translator stole it all. Federal investigators already involved.
[Reply]
GabyKeepsMeWarm 09:44 PM 03-20-2024
So the Royals really have a guy in camp named Kale Emshoff, and this kid's parent's couldn't have done us all a favor by naming him Jack? C'mon... Thanks for nothing.
[Reply]
cabletech94 10:12 PM 03-20-2024
Originally Posted by GabyKeepsMeWarm:
So the Royals really have a guy in camp named Kale Emshoff, and this kid's parent's couldn't have done us all a favor by naming him Jack? C'mon... Thanks for nothing.
And he just hit a home run in the bottom of the 9th!!

/who cares it’s spring training!!
[Reply]
Ocotillo 10:26 PM 03-20-2024
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Huh?

The only person from the 2020 draft class that did anything was Evan Carter and he had a 1.6 bWAR. What am I missing here?
Jordan Montgomery was acquired from St. Louis for 2020 draft picks Thomas Saggese and Tekoah Roby. Montgomery had a 2.79 ERA for Texas.

Did you even watch the postseason?

Carter slashed .300/.417/.500 in 72 postseason plate appearances. He was arguably the third best position player for the Rangers after Corey Seager and Adolis Garcia in the postseason.
[Reply]
dlphg9 10:31 PM 03-20-2024
Originally Posted by Ocotillo:
Jordan Montgomery was acquired from St. Louis for 2020 draft picks Thomas Saggese and Tekoah Roby. Montgomery had a 2.79 ERA for Texas.

Did you even watch the postseason?

Carter slashed .300/.417/.500 in 72 postseason plate appearances. He was arguably the third best position player for the Rangers after Corey Seager and Adolis Garcia in the postseason.
I'm just saying that's not what I'd consider killing the 2020 draft. In the technical sense, yes, it helped win the WS.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 10:48 PM 03-20-2024
I'm just saying that's not what I'd consider killing the 2020 draft. In the technical sense, yes, it helped win the WS.
Roby and Saggese are both top 100 prospects. The Rangers' player development built up their value and acquired a number two starter at the trade deadline because of their perceived value.

From Baseball America this spring:
No player better fits that bill than Evan Carter, a highway robbery of a draft pick as part of a stunningly excellent 2020 draft class that should produce four major leaguers out of its five selections.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 11:11 AM 03-21-2024

Alec Marsh is in the #Royals rotation, manager Matt Quatraro makes official. Jordan Lyles will begin the season in the bullpen.

— Anne Rogers (@anne__rogers) March 21, 2024

[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 11:25 AM 03-21-2024

Reliever Josh Taylor is dealing with bicep soreness, Matt Quatraro said. He's getting treatment and figuring out next steps. Taylor missed all of 2022 and most of '23 with injuries. He was in the mix for the #Royals bullpen this spring.

— Anne Rogers (@anne__rogers) March 21, 2024

[Reply]
Mecca 11:25 AM 03-21-2024
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
I still think Marsh's best role is a 1 inning reliever.
[Reply]
BWillie 12:43 PM 03-21-2024
Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch:
Oof. Ohtani may have fucked up BIG time. He or his translator stated he'd wired money personally to cover his translators gambling debts. Guessing both his own people and the Dodgers immediately jumped on how bad that is and changed the story to his translator stole it all. Federal investigators already involved.
He should be able to gamble
[Reply]
dallaschiefsfan 03:47 PM 03-21-2024
Probably not a popular opinion, but Pratto ought to be our 1B most of the time w/ Vinnie getting mostly DH work. Pratto might turn into a pumpkin in the regular season, but he's earned his spot, IMO.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:01 PM 03-21-2024
Huh?

Is there some belief that accumulating any WAR at all by the end of 2023 isn't damn impressive for a 2020 draft pick?

It was a 5 round draft. Saggese will be a major leaguer and have a pretty long MLB career, IMO. Foscue has been exactly as advertised (great feel for the zone; decent power/speed set from a competent defensive 2b) - I suspect he'll have a 6-8 year MLB career as well and will likely be a WAR darling if he ever gets the starting 2b gig.

Carter is a possible superstar. What he did at his age in the post-season suggests someone with that flat heart rate that you need to really transition well to the big leagues. He may just be an MVP candidate in the next 3-5 years.

Roby is a pitching prospect. Who the hell knows? But he's already been instrumental in getting a vital starting pitcher for them. If he never touches a big league mound, he was a hell of a 3rd round pick.

Yeah - the Rangers strafed the 2020 draft. You really can't do it much better than they did.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:04 PM 03-21-2024
If the Cardinals could actually develop players at the big league level at all, they'd have had a hell of a 2020 draft as well.

Walker, Winn and Burleson have all seen big league action (and all 3 should actually be pretty good players but the Cardinals fuck everything up). Hence is a top 50ish pitching prospect. Bedell has made really nice strides and seems on track to make a big league bullpen in the next couple seasons.

I'd say their draft compared favorably to Texas in raw talent. But the Cardinals will ruin all those guys somehow.
[Reply]
Page 29 of 57
« First < 192526272829 3031323339 > Last »
Up