ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 82
1 23451151 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Restaurants of yesteryear
Simply Red 08:33 PM 11-01-2006
What Restaurants did you grow up around? I'm not talking super fancy and yes fast-food counts. What distinctive memories do you associate with them?

Mine?

Taco Via-(the lit up menu of the various taco plates displayed on the wall), WhiteCastle-On a paper plate with fries and Pepsi, Arthur Treachers(off Noland), Tippins(off Noland), Perkins(the free toy well), Country Deli(awesome local deli to Blue Springs heated sandwiches on Sourdough buns), Zarda BBQ and Dairy, FunHouse Pizza(of Course)(Dark. Video- Games,Electonic Riding Bull and 25-cent Taco night) Annes Sante Fe.

Keep in mind I never see these anymore living in Georgia.

[Reply]
Easy 6 08:35 PM 11-01-2006
Tops Big Boy made some excellent greasy spoon fare back in the day.
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 08:35 PM 11-01-2006
Shoney's.
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:36 PM 11-01-2006
My dad ran A&W restaurants starting when I was in fifth grade, and ending when I was a senior in high school. You can't beat icy cold A&W root beer made on site.
[Reply]
Spott 08:40 PM 11-01-2006
I wish we had Mr Goodcents and Lamars donuts down here. I friggin hate Subway and Dunkin donuts. We don't have a single BBQ place worth a crap either, but there is some damn good seafood to take it's place.
[Reply]
Nzoner 08:41 PM 11-01-2006
My mom managed an original Dairy Queen(no burgers and no inside seating etc) for 25+ years and we always got a great MOM discount.Her working there became even better once I started my "stoner" years in high school.
[Reply]
cdcox 08:41 PM 11-01-2006
From when we lived in NY state: Lums (roast beef sandwhichs), Shakey's Pizza

When traveling: Howard Johnson's (fried clams, mmmmm)

In KC, we didn't eat out too much. I remember Mom used to do consumer reports at McDonalds. She got paid like $3 a visit. We went out for pizza once in a while, but I forget the name of the place.
[Reply]
Simply Red 08:41 PM 11-01-2006
Originally Posted by Spott:
I wish we had Mr Goodcents and Lamars donuts down here. I friggin hate Subway and Dunkin donuts. We don't have a single BBQ place worth a crap either, but there is some damn good seafood to take it's place.
Is Winchells still around in KC?
[Reply]
milkman 08:43 PM 11-01-2006
Henry's Hamburgers, caddy corner to East Jr. High in Leavenworth.

And Foe's Broasted Chicken just down the street.

Used to go there instead of eating the crappy cafeteria food.
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:44 PM 11-01-2006
Shoney's especially their breakfast buffet
[Reply]
Simply Red 08:45 PM 11-01-2006
Strouds Chicken of course.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:46 PM 11-01-2006
Anybody remember an old fast food place called "Smacks" in the KC area? I remember those when i was a young kid.
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:46 PM 11-01-2006
This is a long shot, but does anyone remember Ed Lentz's restaurant on I-44 at the Richland exit? When I was a tiny kid, we ate there so often that, according to family lore, I told someone that my dad worked there.

As a three or four year-old, that place held endless fascination for me, and may be a source of my love for old-style diners today. I remember being enthralled by the little juke boxes on each table, and by the big stand in the middle that sold all sorts of little trinkets. I particularly remember the ostrich with the mercury solution that you would put next to a glass of water, and it would regularly dip its head into the water for a drink and then raise back up.
[Reply]
Simply Red 08:47 PM 11-01-2006
Fred and Reds - Joplin

Chicken Annies - Pittsburg, KS

Chicken Mary's - Pittburg as well.

Whistler Hamburgers - Carthage

[Reply]
cdcox 08:48 PM 11-01-2006
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Anybody remember an old fast food place called "Smacks" in the KC area? I remember those when i was a young kid.
Yep. And a five-and-ten called Katz.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 82
1 23451151 > Last »
Up