ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 35 of 324
« First < 253132333435 363738394585135 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
staylor26 10:32 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
The Chiefs have proven you can have a ton of sacks and still have a really bad defense, and they did that without relying on the blitz. If you add a blitz-happy DC you'll probably notice an uptick against young/bad QBs, but what happens when you face QBs that thrive against the blitz, especially if you don't have press-man corners?

This feels exactly like a move from the Pioli years.
Who would you have hired?
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:33 PM 01-24-2019
Would some of you really rather have had Mike Smith as your DC?

Didn't fucking think so.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:35 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Would some of you really rather have had Mike Smith as your DC?

Didn't fucking think so.
That's legit the only reason I'm even lukewarm on this hire. The mere thought of hiring within had me fucking pissed off.
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:35 PM 01-24-2019
So if we tag & trade Ford, does the team that gets him have the same rights as we do - potentially to franchise him another 2 years?

If we just let him walk we get a 3rd rounder basically?
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:36 PM 01-24-2019
People always view this stuff with homer glasses. One week ago, all the talk around here was how the Chiefs' defense was actually good at home. Rather than looking at what QBs they had faced at home (almost all shit), they ignored the warning signs.

Steve Spagnuolo is a guy that had a couple of good defenses a decade ago when he had DE's like Strahan (HOF'er) Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, and JPP.

In 2007, his three best DE's combined for over 300 career sacks.
In 2011, his three best DE's combined for over 210 career sacks.

No shit he had good defenses back then. Christ, Greg Robinson could have coordinated a great unit with that talent.

The best thing you can say about him is that when he had the best DL of the last generation he didn't **** it up, but that's damning with faint praise.

Even in 2016 he had two good-great ends and three All-Pro DBs. No one could **** that up.
I don't think many, not on CP at least, are doing cartwheels over the hire. There are no homer glasses. Any positive comments are basically saying it won't be hard to be better than Sutton and top 25 is a more than achievable bar for spagnuolo. I certainly don't think claims that he's a consistent bottom 2 defense are at all fair based on what was going on during those seasons.
[Reply]
The Bad Guy 10:36 PM 01-24-2019
The Chiefs have proven you can have a ton of sacks and still have a really bad defense, and they did that without relying on the blitz. If you add a blitz-happy DC you'll probably notice an uptick against young/bad QBs, but what happens when you face QBs that thrive against the blitz, especially if you don't have press-man corners?

This feels exactly like a move from the Pioli years.
I don't agree at all about the Pioli years. Spags loves zone blitzes. I'm not sure how much press-man he ran, but the zone blitz was a staple of those Giants teams from what I remember.

The secondary was completely lost. There were more blown assignments this year than I can recall ever happening. That has to change. There was a massive communication breakdown and that's probably the biggest task for him to fix.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:36 PM 01-24-2019
I think that is the problem, there is bitching to bitch because who else were you gonna hire?

Hewitt and McDonald weren't options here with no playcalling experience, Kris Richard wasn't getting out of Dallas...at that point who are you left with?
[Reply]
ChiefoftheKeyboard 10:36 PM 01-24-2019
The only good argument for an experienced DC that isn’t a ****ing jack ass like Rex would be Jack del rio, who seems committed to the bengals. For winning the Sb next year this was the right hire even if it’s boring to some of you.
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:36 PM 01-24-2019
Btw I don't remember anyone around here being that jacked about getting Reid - and that's worked out pretty well.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:37 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by The Bad Guy:
It's tough for me to say they have bad talent when Hitchens played a lot better in Dallas and other teams were interested in him, and they have 3 guys who could post double digit sacks.

They need more secondary talent and will potentially need to figure out a MLB or SLB, but there are pieces to work with.
If two of those guys post double digit sacks by blowing all responsibility or ability to stop the run in the process they are more rotational players than building blocks.

Regarding Hitchens--it's not like the scheme was complicated. The counterargument is that playing alongside other elite LBs made him look better than he was.
[Reply]
The Bad Guy 10:37 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
So if we tag & trade Ford, does the team that gets him have the same rights as we do - potentially to franchise him another 2 years?

If we just let him walk we get a 3rd rounder basically?
I think the acquiring team would have a long-term deal in place for him if they are trading.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:37 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by The Bad Guy:
I don't agree at all about the Pioli years. Spags loves zone blitzes. I'm not sure how much press-man he ran, but the zone blitz was a staple of those Giants teams from what I remember.

The secondary was completely lost. There were more blown assignments this year than I can recall ever happening. That has to change. There was a massive communication breakdown and that's probably the biggest task for him to fix.
If anything we can stop paying a bajillion dollars for safeties as even his good defenses didn't need all pros there.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:38 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I think that is the problem, there is bitching to bitch because who else were you gonna hire?

Hewitt and McDonald weren't options here with no playcalling experience, Kris Richard wasn't getting out of Dallas...at that point who are you left with?
Hamas shit on my thread about Wilks before he got fired, so I know he wouldn’t have even been happy with a hire like that had he been available.

Seriously, that guy is 100% bitching just to bitch.
[Reply]
ChiefoftheKeyboard 10:39 PM 01-24-2019
Yes, he could play on the tag and then they could tag him once more. If he walks it depends on what he gets in FA. He’d probably get a huge deal so we’d get a 3rd rd comp pick the following year.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:39 PM 01-24-2019
It was seriously Rex Ryan or Spags...or an in house hire and no one wanted that.
[Reply]
Page 35 of 324
« First < 253132333435 363738394585135 > Last »
Up