ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 22
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Lucas Niang opts out...
pugsnotdrugs19 07:46 AM 08-06-2020
https://twitter.com/tompelissero/sta...407051781?s=21

Damn.
[Reply]
loochy 09:07 AM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
It would be understandable if it were killing 23 year old professional athletes. It's not.

The equipment guy making $40k is going to work...

There isn't a mandate to play sports in college or the pros. Give up your scholarship or your job if you want to.
Does the equipment guy have a deal that was given to him by his employer to sit out and still get some pay? Don't be mad at the guys taking the option...be mad at the guys that gave them the options (if that's how you feel).

Would I sit at home for $300k or whatever it is? Damn straight I would. I'd make money, relax, heal, and stay healthy. It will probably do wonders for these guys' health, corona or no corona.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:07 AM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Your up to speed. Any guards out there better than the ones we have left? Tackles we can move to guard?
bring them in for a look

[Reply]
FloridaMan88 09:08 AM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by Dante84:
Hmm... are his odds higher if he:

1. Continues to spend time with her, but also practices 6 days a week with 60 other dudes, travels to other cities, stays in hotels, plays against ~30 other dudes who have been practicing with 30 other dudes, all of whom who have been traveling, staying in hotels and playing against 60 other dudes, who have been.... x16?

OR

2. Goes to the grocery store once a week so he can feed and spend time with his dying mother?

I think Logic / Reality weighed in on this one.
And you know for certain he is limiting his daily life outside of football to "just going to the grocery store"? (Where he is still at risk of getting the virus and spreading it to his mother).

No gyms? No hair cuts? No traveling? No restaurants?

And you are also suggesting he'll have access to the same immediate testing that he'd have in the NFL?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:08 AM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:

And he gives a message a lot of posters here should take to heart.
O.City has made a fair point here, though.

He will be flying blind a LOT more having opted out than he would've playing. Yes, he'll be a little more exposed (probably), but he'll also know a lot sooner and with a lot more certainty if he does contract it.

It's a personal choice so I won't begrudge any of them either way. But I do think there's an argument to be made that the knowledge and constant testing they'll have, not to mention the structured activity on a daily basis w/ steady contact tracing, could serve to make them SAFER by playing vs. not.

I think it's shitty to call them selfish (though it's also shitty to use selfish strictly as a pejorative - we're all self-interested the overwhelming majority of the time). But I do think some of them may end up getting this wrong. Just because you're girlfriends grandpa died of it, that doesn't mean you're better off not going to the facility every day, working in closed group settings and being constantly tested than you would be by simply staying away from the office and doing...whatever. And not being tested.

Unless they're simply gonna lock themselves in the house for 6 months (and some of them may), I'm not sure there's the overarching benefit that they expect. I guess we'll see when the season starts.
[Reply]
loochy 09:08 AM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by Dante84:
Those professional athletes have family members.

Also, his job has provided an option for him to sit out, so he doesn't need to quit.
That right there is it. The employer said it was ok, so it's ok.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:08 AM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
"Redshirting" and not opting out means he still would have been part of the Chiefs organization this year, rehabbing his hip, going through practices, etc.

"Redshirting" and opting out means he will be completely cut off from the Chiefs/NFL until at least April 2021... he won't be allowed at the team facility, won't be allowed to be part of any team conditioning/rehab program, etc.

Apparently you are too dense to see that difference.
He’s been rehabbing his hip since November. You don’t think he has rehab info to do on his own from professionals?

Do you also think the Chiefs would just send him home without talking to him about it or confirming he has a plan for rehab? You really think they are that stupid?

You can do PT virtually now and I find it incredibly stupid to think that he will just sit on his ass and do nothing for the rest of the year.

If anything this is one player that opting out won’t affect. He needs time to let his hip heal.
[Reply]
Iowanian 09:09 AM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
Does the equipment guy have a deal that was given to him by his employer to sit out and still get some pay? Don't be mad at the guys taking the option...be mad at the guys that gave them the options (if that's how you feel).

Would I sit at home for $300k or whatever it is? Damn straight I would. I'd make money, relax, heal, and stay healthy. It will probably do wonders for these guys' health, corona or no corona.

I'm not angry about it. I just think a rookie taking this option is a puff and it shows what they are or aren't made of....

Any of these guys taking this option because they are sooooo concerned for their health had better not be seen at parties, theme parks, concerts, or beaches of 3rd world countries.
[Reply]
Mecca 09:11 AM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

He will be flying blind a LOT more having opted out than he would've playing. Yes, he'll be a little more exposed (probably), but he'll also know a lot sooner and with a lot more certainty if he does contract it.

It's a personal choice so I won't begrudge any of them either way. But I do think there's an argument to be made that the knowledge and constant testing they'll have, not to mention the structured activity on a daily basis w/ steady contact tracing, could serve to make them SAFER by playing vs. not.

I think it's shitty to call them selfish (though it's also shitty to use selfish strictly as a pejorative - we're all self-interested the overwhelming majority of the time). But I do think some of them may end up getting this wrong. Just because you're girlfriends grandpa died of it, that doesn't mean you're better off not going to the facility every day, working in closed group settings and being constantly tested than you would be by simply staying away from the office and doing...whatever. And not being tested.

Unless they're simply gonna lock themselves in the house for 6 months (and some of them may), I'm not sure there's the overarching benefit that they expect. I guess we'll see when the season starts.
I think it may also come down to say the debacles of the Marlins and Cardinals where players on the team make terrible decisions. There's more guys on a football team, what if he doesn't trust the other players to take it seriously? If that's how you feel putting yourself around that many other guys is super risky.
[Reply]
Dante84 09:11 AM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Is he planning to completely lock himself down into a quarantine for the duration of the pandemic to avoid the risk of infecting his family?

No going out to restaurants?

No traveling/going on airplanes?

No going to gyms?

No getting a haircut?

Unless he plans to go on a complete self-lockdown, the risk of spreading the virus to his family is still present by going about his daily life outside of football.

And at least in a football setting, he'd have access to daily testing and top of the line virus prevention/mitigation protocols.
Since neither of us know the answer, we're left to make an educated guess.

If he weighed his mother's health against making millions of dollars and another ring, and chose to opt out.... then I think it's fair to say he's also probably not taking trips to Vegas to hit NOBU. I bet he's opting out of those activities, too.

The reason he'd have all that access to daily testing is because his exposure risk is super high. If he tests positive, then that would mean that he either A) exposed his mom if he's regularly seeing her for at least a week before his positive test, or B) he's not spending time with his mom, who is dying of cancer.
[Reply]
O.city 09:12 AM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

Thats my thoughts atleast. If you're gonna be tested every day or every other day whatever they're doing, you're gonna know. I'm sure they have stipulations in there to isolate them if they test positive as well.

I dunno, I get it from both sides. My line of work puts me at risk every day for all kinds of shit. It's unnerving for sure. But someones gotta do it I guess, and bills gotta get paid.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 09:13 AM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
He’s been rehabbing his hip since November. You don’t think he has rehab info to do on his own from professionals?

Do you also think the Chiefs would just send him home without talking to him about it or confirming he has a plan for rehab? You really think they are that stupid?

You can do PT virtually now and I find it incredibly stupid to think that he will just sit on his ass and do nothing for the rest of the year.

If anything this is one player that opting out won’t affect. He needs time to let his hip heal.
He was previously rehabbing "since November" at TCU... in an organized team environment.

Under the current opt-out rules, he is not allowed at the Chiefs facility in any capacity until at least April 2021.

You are laughably naive/stupid if you think a "virtual PT" can replicate the same in-person treatments he would be getting in an official team setting (not to mention the coaching, being at practices on a daily basis, in the offensive line meetings, etc.)

And if goes to a private gym or PT facility... the risk of getting exposed to the virus and spreading it to his family is somehow less at these places than it would be in an NFL setting?

I am pretty sure a private gym/PT facility doesn't have access to the same NFL testing/mitigation protocols.
[Reply]
O.city 09:14 AM 08-06-2020
I think it may also come down to say the debacles of the Marlins and Cardinals where players on the team make terrible decisions. There's more guys on a football team, what if he doesn't trust the other players to take it seriously? If that's how you feel putting yourself around that many other guys is super risky.
But again, those guys are going to be continually tested and know what they do or don't have to pass on to others.

If your around the general public at all, you basically don't know whos' got what.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:15 AM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
bring them in for a look

Funny but still.... fuck! :-)
[Reply]
RunKC 09:16 AM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
I'm not risking Mahomes on a season where we're down 2 OL before the first snap.

Cancel diz sheeit.
Niang wasn’t able to do anything at the combine bc he was still recovering from hip labrum surgery. Gyms closed in March and are still mostly not open. No OTA’s or strength conditioning bc he is likely having to take it easy recovering in rehab.

Niang was never playing this year guys. No way he was able to do real strength training with that injury. It would have been a liability getting him on the field. We already saw that shit with Fisher do why deal with that again?

This was always a long term developmental draft pick. Signing Remmers should have told you that.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:16 AM 08-06-2020
Yeah - there's a calculus for all of them. Maybe this is a trust issue for many.

But for those same people - boy it'd be pretty damn hypocritical for them to go out to a club during the football season. Or a birthday party or whatever.

It's just interesting to me to see where people draw the lines on when/how they're willing to accept risk and how often that line involves work vs. play...

I have no doubt that some will absolutely sequester themselves - but MANY won't. And by losing the security blanket of the structure and testing, they may be putting themselves at greater risk. I think a few of them may not be being as honest with themselves as prudence would dictate here.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 22
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up