ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 29
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Maryville teen allegedly raped by football player
Skyy God 10:13 AM 10-14-2013
And wasn't prosecuted (probably) because the rapist's family was politically connected. There's no excuse for at least statutory under the facts as presented. Also. dude should probably avoid saying rape-y things on social media if he's still within the statute of limitations.

Originally Posted by :
Here's a depressing story that will bring back memories of the Steubenville rape case. It begins with a 14-year-old drunk girl getting dumped on her porch by the high school football player who had just allegedly raped her, and it ends with her family being driven out of town by an unsupportive community.

A horrifying story out of Missouri: A mother was run out of a small town after her daughter blacked out at a party filled with older high school athletes and was left, with clear marks of rape, on the front lawn of her home in freezing weather.

The Kansas City Star details how the small town of Maryville turned against a newly-arrived family after 14-year-old Daisy Coleman reported that an older athlete had sex with her while another older male videotaped, after she was given an alcoholic drink at a party that left her barely able to stand. Her friend, a 13-year-old, was also made to have non-consensual sex.

After a thorough investigation by the local police however, clearly implicating 17-year-old Matthew Barnett in the sexual assault, charges were inexplicably dropped by the prosecuting attorney. Barnett, coincidentally, is the grandson of a prominent former Missouri state representative.

Star reporter Dugan Arnett writes,

Sexual assault cases can be difficult to build because of factors such as a lack of physical evidence or inconsistent statements by witnesses. But by the time his department had concluded its investigation, Sheriff Darren White felt confident the office had put together a case that would “absolutely” result in prosecutions.

“Within four hours, we had obtained a search warrant for the house and executed that,” White told The Star. “We had all of the suspects in custody and had audio/video confessions.

“I would defy the Kansas City, Missouri, Police Department to do what we did and get it wrapped up as nicely as we did in that amount of time.”

But no prosecutions ever came. The charges were dropped by the prosecuting attorney who didn't believe the evidence was strong enough. He dismissed any idea that political influence had anything to do with his decision.

In the meantime, the town had already begun to turn on the Coleman family. Threatening phone calls and online threats were directed at the family. Melinda Coleman had moved to the town with her four children after her husband, a physician, had died in a car accident. She was easily targeted by the community for being an outsider.
The parent of one of the teens at the Barnett house that night was the only one to comment briefly to The Star: “Our boys deserve an apology, and they haven’t gotten it yet.”

In a later interview, Rice [the prosecuting attorney] called it a case of “incorrigible teenagers” drinking alcohol and having sex. “They were doing what they wanted to do, and there weren’t any consequences. And it’s reprehensible. But is it criminal? No.”

Robert Sundell, who represented Barnett, echoed that sentiment: “Just because we don’t like the way teenagers act doesn’t necessarily make it a crime.”

After the charges were dropped, things just got worse for Melinda and Daisy Coleman. Daisy has struggled with depression and attempted suicide. Melinda had to move away from Maryville and back to the town she had lived in with her now-deceased husband. In April, the house in Maryville she still owned burned down under mysterious circumstances.

And Matthew Barnett, the young man accused by Coleman of raping her? He's attending the University of Central Missouri and apparently having a great time:

In a recent retweet, he expressed his views on women — and their desire for his sexual attentions — this way:

“If her name begins with A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z, she wants the D."
http://gawker.com/family-gets-driven...23656/@Tom_Ley
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 08:16 AM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Having never been to Maryville except driving through it I am interested in hearing about this divide and what the town is like.
Imagine a bunch or rural farm folk mixed with rowdy college partiers. Oil and water.

Maryville has a population of about 12K, but I'm not sure if the 5K in students is included in that, but you get the picture. A small town with new college kids coming and going every year that fill that area. It's not like a larger city where the college is just a small part of the community.
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:27 AM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Imagine a bunch or rural farm folk mixed with rowdy college partiers. Oil and water.

Maryville has a population of about 12K, but I'm not sure if the 5K in students is included in that, but you get the picture. A small town with new college kids coming and going every year that fill that area. It's not like a larger city where the college is just a small part of the community.
I graduated from CMSU and kind of assumed Warrensburg and Maryville were fairly similar. Of course Warrensburg is not really that rural though.
[Reply]
hometeam 08:36 AM 10-16-2013
In HS we played Maryville every year and they always acted like it was some big thing and Maryville was this 3A football powerhouse. It does not surprise me that they covered up/bent rules/laws for football players.

California, MO was the same way growing up. Corrupt prosecutor, police, Sherriff, all skewed in the favor of a few certain prominent families. It is just part of life in these small towns. Does not make it right but again, not surprised in the slightest.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 08:48 AM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by hometeam:
In HS we played Maryville every year and they always acted like it was some big thing and Maryville was this 3A football powerhouse. It does not surprise me that they covered up/bent rules/laws for football players.

California, MO was the same way growing up. Corrupt prosecutor, police, Sherriff, all skewed in the favor of a few certain prominent families. It is just part of life in these small towns. Does not make it right but again, not surprised in the slightest.
I wouldn't be surprised either, but this kids was a backup D-Lineman and the rape was after football season his senior year.
[Reply]
ragedogg69 05:43 PM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:

This gonna be good.
http://gawker.com/maryville-sheriff-...obs-1446545439

[Reply]
displacedinMN 06:06 PM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by :
Originally Posted by eDave View Post
When I went to school there, there was a significant divide between the NWMSU students and the rest of the community. We didn't want anything to do with them really.

Anyone here know Kimble?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper16 View Post
Yup. Same when I was there.
Me too. There was an uneasiness about the students from the townies. Most of the money from students was spent at bars, fast food, cheap housing and Wal-Mart.

There was a time that some businesses would not take checks from out of town/state. So students had to get local checking accounts. Then they finally got an ATM in town.
ONE. in 1990.

To me-the town would not be what it was if not for NW.

I have nothing bad to say about my time at NW and Maryville. It was the right place for me at that time. I wish I could get back there more. Its a shame that this series of events has to happen.
[Reply]
Cephalic Trauma 07:01 PM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by ragedogg69:

:-)
[Reply]
Cephalic Trauma 07:18 PM 10-16-2013
http://www.nodawaycountymo.com/

Website down :-)
[Reply]
Iowanian 08:50 PM 10-16-2013
I made friends with a couple of townies who were also students, and then made several friends with friends of theirs. Those guys were pretty tight as a group and still are. I don't see them very often but when I do they're still good people.

A lot of good people there.
[Reply]
Valiant 09:45 PM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by kepp:
It sounds like it was the witnesses that invoked the 5th, not Coleman. So, basically, they were trying to turn the suspects against each other I guess? Maybe I'm interpreting that wrong.
I am guess the rich kids big money lawyer was going to dismantle the girls and they were afraid the girls would have to relive it.

But thankfully Mo. Lt. Gov. is forcing Kosters bitch ass. As long as the truth comes out is all people ask. And the kids are guilty, it may not be for standard statutory rape, but the girls did not have capacity to make that decision fell them.
[Reply]
Valiant 09:46 PM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:

This was Highschool of the small town.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 03:24 AM 10-17-2013

:-)

I bet they try to arrest people that show up to protest.
[Reply]
Skyy God 05:53 AM 10-17-2013

The Sherriff has no idea what sort of hornet's nest he just stuck his dick in. Don't they have google up there?
[Reply]
stonedstooge 06:58 AM 10-17-2013
Having grown up in Maryville in the 60's and 70's, my guess is that this has another important factor playing into it aside from "prominent" family names.
[Reply]
unlurking 07:26 AM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by stonedstooge:
Having grown up in Maryville in the 60's and 70's, my guess is that this has another important factor playing into it aside from "prominent" family names.
Not having grown up in Maryville, would you care to elaborate?
[Reply]
Page 10 of 29
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Up