ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 21
« First < 61213141516 17181920 > Last »
Hall of Classics>Ben Carson: Egyptian pyramids were used to store grain, not Pharaohs' tombs
Dave Lane 12:28 PM 11-05-2015

Egypt’s pyramids were built by the biblical Joseph to store grain and were not, as archaeologists believe, tombs for pharaohs, Republican presidential hopeful Ben Carson has said.

The retired neurosurgeon, who is seeking his party’s nomination for the White House, made these remarks in a 1998 address at Andrews University, a Michigan school associated with the Seventh-day Adventist Church, to which he belongs, in a video posted on Buzzfeed on Wednesday.

The church is a conservative evangelical Christian one.

“My own personal theory is that Joseph built the pyramids to store grain,” Carson – who last week overtook Republican rival Donald Trump for the first time in a national poll – told graduates in his address.

“Now all the archeologists think that they were made for the pharaohs’ graves. But, you know, it would have to be something awfully big if you stop and think about it.

“And I don’t think it’d just disappear over the course of time to store that much grain.”

Asked on Wednesday if he still held these views, Carson told CBS News: “It’s still my belief, yes.”

Speaking to MSNBC’s Morning Joe on Thursday, rival Republican Trump said: “He’s informed me about the pyramids. I think I’ll have to put that in my repertoire about Ben. That was a strange deal.”

In his 1998 address, Carson said: “And when you look at the way that the pyramids are made, with many chambers that are hermetically sealed, they’d have to be that way for various reasons.

“And various of scientists have said, ‘Well, you know there were alien beings that came down and they have special knowledge and that’s how, you know, it doesn’t require an alien being when God is with you’.”

In the old testament book of Genesis, Joseph, one of the 12 sons of Jacob, was said to have “stored up grain in great abundance like the sand of the sea, until he stopped measuring it, for it was beyond measure”.

After seven years of plenty, the story in Genesis says, Egypt suffered seven years of famine, during which Joseph was able to feed the people with the grain he had stored.

Carson has spoken often about his faith, saying recently of his critics: “They say, ‘Carson, you know, how can you be a surgeon, a neurosurgeon, and believe that God created the Earth, and not believe in evolution, which is the basis of all knowledge and all science?’ …

“But I do believe God created us, and I did just fine … And in fact, the more you know about God, and the deeper your relationship with God, I think the more intricate becomes your knowledge of the way things work, including the human body.”

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...pharoahs-tombs
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:31 PM 11-06-2015
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
holy shit

that must have been amazing

I'm jelly
another time I'm on a hillside and we are planting and we hit something and little cubes of rocks with paint came up with the dirt. They stopped and called the antiquities department. I left the next week. Never heard what it was they found.
[Reply]
srvy 07:33 PM 11-06-2015
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
how many horse cocks have your tulips been on?
This is actually pretty good and I will steal this from you one day when the right moment arises.
[Reply]
Dave Lane 08:54 PM 11-06-2015
Originally Posted by srvy:
Dave Lane your an astronomer correct?

Have you ever observed Polaris to actually calculate an azimuth on the ground? Sun Shot? Just curious I know this is a forgotten art now as GPS has pretty much eliminated the need. I would think calculating an astronomic azimuth would be astronomy 101.
I do that before every shot I take that involves tracking which is most of them. Including annual precession calculations for the year.

It doesn't help with my hieroglyphs much, to be honest. So I'm not sure how that is germane to the conversation.
[Reply]
baitism 09:02 PM 11-06-2015
Racists. Am I doing this right?
[Reply]
Dave Lane 09:15 PM 11-06-2015
Originally Posted by baitism:
Racists. Am I doing this right?
We are way past that we are up to earth shaped potatoes at this point
[Reply]
cosmo20002 09:20 PM 11-06-2015
When I want to know what a tulip would look like in a certain vase maybe I would call you.

I know you have no idea what that is but you will google and try to act as though you do.

And yes it is an gravity map of the earth that is used every day to to accurately position points on the surface of the earth. The earth and gravitational effects on its surface makes it look like a Potato. The Geoid is a imaginary line per say drawn around this surface to negate the peeks and valleys of that surface and to use complex mathematical calculations so we can use satellites (GPS) to map and navigate the surface. This is in layman's terms as I am not trained in Geodesy just a land surveyor who applies this in real life.
WTF:-)
[Reply]
cosmo20002 09:30 PM 11-06-2015
srvy says...

[Reply]
cosmo20002 09:37 PM 11-06-2015
And yes it is an gravity map of the earth that is used every day to to accurately position points on the surface of the earth. The earth and gravitational effects on its surface makes it look like a Potato. The Geoid is a imaginary line per say drawn around this surface to negate the peeks and valleys of that surface and to use complex mathematical calculations so we can use satellites (GPS) to map and navigate the surface. This is in layman's terms as I am not trained in Geodesy just a land surveyor who applies this in real life.

[Reply]
srvy 11:49 PM 11-06-2015
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
How often should I water a daffodil?
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 12:02 AM 11-07-2015
I really don't like Carson. I am glad he's finally getting called out for stupid shit he says.

But jfc... If the media out even ten percent of their time on benghazi and whitewater as they did on learning if Carson got a scholarship or if mitt Romney paid his taxes.... The ridiculous one sidedness of the media has to stop.
[Reply]
eDave 12:10 AM 11-07-2015
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
I really don't like Carson. I am glad he's finally getting called out for stupid shit he says.

But jfc... If the media out even ten percent of their time on benghazi and whitewater as they did on learning if Carson got a scholarship or if mitt Romney paid his taxes.... The ridiculous one sidedness of the media has to stop.
I don't know how you can say it's one sided. There are just as many conservative news outlets as liberal. Heck, Fox is #1.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 12:17 AM 11-07-2015

Just a couple weeks ago Benghazi was on for about 12 straight hours.
You can't be serious with your ridiculous assertion.
[Reply]
Taco John 12:57 AM 11-07-2015
Originally Posted by eDave:
I don't know how you can say it's one sided. There are just as many conservative news outlets as liberal. Heck, Fox is #1.
:-)
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 03:07 AM 11-07-2015
This is actually pretty good and I will steal this from you one day when the right moment arises.
Thank you. It's about time someone recognized the geniousness of my comments.

I take back all the bad things I have posted about you and yours on the various websites with which I am involved.
[Reply]
Dave Lane 03:12 AM 11-07-2015

Yeah that's the weird thing, there's like these ongoing multi-year investigations into Carson and his statements. 13 investigations over 4 years just to see if there really was grain in the pryamids, 6 years $74 million on investigations and threatened impeachment over his Westpoint lie. All that while Hillary get a couple day news cycle and its on to the next thing.

I sure wish the GOP would do some checking.
[Reply]
Page 16 of 21
« First < 61213141516 17181920 > Last »
Up