ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Do you enjoy going to the movies?
Yes 27 71.05%
No 11 28.95%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Media Center>Do you enjoy going to the movies?
Mephistopheles Janx 01:12 PM 11-10-2020
I don't. I'm not certain I'll ever go back to one even after Covid.

The movie theater was a magical thing for me growing up. Mostly because we were poor as shit so it was a huge treat to get to go to the movies... even if it was the 2nd run movie theater for $1.00 a ticket. Getting popcorn was awesome and we would always get the combo that allowed for the free refill. Mom always had to go to the bathroom mid-movie so she would stop and grab us new popcorn on the way back in.

At this point, though, we have massive tv's with ridiculous quality in both picture and sound. We have purpose built/designated rooms made to maximize the immersion in whatever story we decide to take in at the time. We can make our own popcorn without having to pay $35 in concessions for a family of 4.

I don't care for 3D movies. I don't find IMAX to be worth the extra dough. Stuff like the seats rumbling during certain scenes of the movie is kind of cool and adds to the immersion but I can get similar effects if I have my sound and sub tuned in properly. It certainly isn't worth the trade off of dealing with people who are talking loudly, peeking at their phones, possible kid freakout.

I keep reading about how AMC and Regal are struggling and I understand they have employees that depend on them for a job but... TBH, with Disney owning like 1/3 of the movie going experience anymore I'm really disinclined to continue spending my money at theaters. Perhaps only for shit like Marvel or some such I would still go to a theater but I've got a huge 4K tv, good sound, and a dedicated space for movies/tv. If movie houses start, or in some cases continue, to release major "theater" releases direct via streaming (at a reasonable rate) I will definitely never go to a theater again.

And I wouldn't miss it.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 04:42 PM 11-10-2020
I always get nachos and popcorn at the movies.
[Reply]
Frazod 04:47 PM 11-10-2020
I remember when I'd go to the movies two or three times a month; perhaps more if there were a lot of good releases or films that rated more than one viewing. Those days are long gone; now I might go to two or three movies a year, and it has to be something really special at this point, like 1917 or the last Blade Runner. Sure, I've got a big ass TV in the den with a nice soundbar and subwoofer, but sometimes there is just no substitute for a huge screen in a dark room with theater quality surround sound.

I go to a local theater that serves real food and alcohol, so for the most part I don't have to worry about hordes of unruly brats who refuse to shut up and/or dick around on their phones the entire time. That's the good part. The bad part is now seeing a movie with the wife can cost about $70.

I sure hope that theater survives this Covid horseshit. Sadly, I fear all theaters may be going the way of the 8-track.

So I guess my answer is yes, but not nearly as much as I used to.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:10 PM 11-10-2020
I voted yes, with the caveat.

For a couple of dozen years now, I haven’t been to that many movies at the theater. My excuse is simple: I don’t feel like there’s that many movies that have come out that have been good enough for me to go see, generally speaking.

However, there’s certain movies almost every year that I feel merit the theater experience. Movies such as Top Gun, Star Wars, Saving Private Ryan, etc. Those big blockbuster panoramic type movies. Which is why I fully intend to go see Top Gun II in the theaters when it finally comes out.

There’s just something electric about the crowd when everyone is fully immersed in the movie that isn’t replaceable at home. I can still remember watching Star Wars when I was a kid and how the entire room exploded with cheers when the death star exploded. It’s experiences like that that keep me going back to the theater year after year.
[Reply]
Pants 05:15 PM 11-10-2020
One of my favorite things to do. I love the huge screen, I love the theater setting, I love the sound.

I do not buy anything there, though. Unless it's a Fork and Screen and I'm getting actual food and alcoholic beverages. That's pretty rare, though.
[Reply]
Spott 05:18 PM 11-10-2020
I didn’t go for a long time, but I started going regularly a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I saw a movie about the second week of March and the theater shut down a couple of days later. Seeing Endgame twice on opening weekend last year was a great experience.
[Reply]
backinblack 06:15 PM 11-10-2020
I think it was seeing "Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates" at a Cinemark where I finally realized "yknow, not every movie needs to be released in theaters any more". It's not a completely terrible movie, but it's one that is completely acceptable to watch on FXX.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:04 PM 11-10-2020
Originally Posted by backinblack:
I think it was seeing "Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates" at a Cinemark where I finally realized "yknow, not every movie needs to be released in theaters any more". It's not a completely terrible movie, but it's one that is completely acceptable to watch on FXX.
And those are the types of films starting to die off at the multiplexes.

Comedies, romantic comedies and small adult drama films.
[Reply]
Frazod 07:28 PM 11-10-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
I voted yes, with the caveat.

For a couple of dozen years now, I haven’t been to that many movies at the theater. My excuse is simple: I don’t feel like there’s that many movies that have come out that have been good enough for me to go see, generally speaking.

However, there’s certain movies almost every year that I feel merit the theater experience. Movies such as Top Gun, Star Wars, Saving Private Ryan, etc. Those big blockbuster panoramic type movies. Which is why I fully intend to go see Top Gun II in the theaters when it finally comes out.

There’s just something electric about the crowd when everyone is fully immersed in the movie that isn’t replaceable at home. I can still remember watching Star Wars when I was a kid and how the entire room exploded with cheers when the death star exploded. It’s experiences like that that keep me going back to the theater year after year.
For me, that was in Return of the Jedi, when Vader chucked the Emperor down the shaft. I saw it opening night (June 19, 1983 - for some reason even the date stuck with me) in a packed theater. Loudest cheer I've ever heard in a movie theater.

I saw Star Wars many times as a kid, but only after it had been out for a couple of weeks. Even back then, as an 11-year-old, I was put off by excessive hype, and nothing was ever hyped so much as Star Wars. I figured it would be just another stupid space movie, which most of them were prior to then. I practically had to be dragged to the theater to see it by one of my friends. Obviously I was blown away from the opening scene, but we saw it at a weekday matinee in a mostly empty theater. That was far more of a personal experience than a group experience.
[Reply]
Pablo 07:45 PM 11-10-2020
I think the last movie I saw in an IMAX setting was Bladerunner 2049 and that was just fine. But I don't need the IMAX or the theatre for most movies. Just the once every couple of years visual/sound masterpieces.
[Reply]
|Zach| 07:48 PM 11-10-2020
I enjoy going to the movies but echo what some say about not always being interested in movies that come out especially being someone that does not really care about any of the comic book universe movies.

But I like going during off times when there are not a lot of people and grabbing some popcorn. Alamo is right down the street from me and does a solid job.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:05 PM 11-10-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
And those are the types of films starting to die off at the multiplexes.

Comedies, romantic comedies and small adult drama films.
A couple of those I recall strong movie theater memories from.

One was a rousing success - There's Something About Mary opening day was just an amazing display of communal reaction. Rolling in the aisles was nearly literally achieved, particularly the scene with the drugged-up dog and when it leapt out the window. Oh, and the beans/franks scene, you could barely hear the dialogue from all the laughter. 'We got a bleeder!!'

One was probably nearly ignored, . . . Safe Passage, Susan Sarandon and Sam Shephard. Little drama about family when a son is killed in an auto accident. Went, saw it. Didn't think much of it, then after the movie ended, there was a older-middle-aged couple who weren't leaving the theater, and I saw that they were hugging each other in tears. Never got the story, of course. But I got enough. . . .
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 10:55 PM 11-10-2020
Yes, but it won’t be the end of the world if theaters disappear. Going to a matinee was always my favorite go to activity when I had a day off in the middle of the week while most are working. It’s still a good escape and stress reliever.
[Reply]
EPodolak 11:14 PM 11-10-2020
There's a little theater down my street I go to pretty often. It was built in the 1920s, nostalgic period design, classic vibe. Mostly show small films and docs there, with a few exceptions. One of my favorite places in the world. Saw a movie there this week, a Chuck Berry documentary. I was the only one watching.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 02:34 AM 11-11-2020
Originally Posted by EPodolak:
There's a little theater down my street I go to pretty often. It was built in the 1920s, nostalgic period design, classic vibe. Mostly show small films and docs there, with a few exceptions. One of my favorite places in the world. Saw a movie there this week, a Chuck Berry documentary. I was the only one watching.
That sounds like an awesome afternoon!
[Reply]
kcxiv 03:59 AM 11-11-2020
Well, my buddy was a manager at one back in my early 20's. After it was closed, all of the bro's would pack in there watch movies and drink and smoke all night. It was pretty fun. I would just be posted up with my beers laying down in the walk way watching movies! Outside of that meh.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up