ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Media Center>The Social Dilemma
bdj23 03:27 PM 11-05-2020
I don't see a thread on this Netflix documentary. We have a few schizoposters here so I'm suprised by that.

Has anyone watched it yet? Pretty interesting and disturbing insight into big tech spying and manipulation of the internet. It pretty much confirms my point of view on non anonymous social media platforms.

Discuss further.
[Reply]
Bewbies 03:37 PM 11-05-2020
Hard to argue there is good reason to be on social media.

I watched it last week this saw dude in the movie was on Rogan.

https://youtu.be/OaTKaHKCAFg
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 03:41 PM 11-05-2020
Only reason I am on twitter is the small niche genre of music I follow does most of its promotion and show announcements through Twitter.
[Reply]
KCUnited 03:58 PM 11-05-2020
Didn't get much traction back in Sept

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...4#post15190394

It was known but still jarring to watch. Explains a lot about peoples inability to have conversations with others they disagree with due to the echo chamber social media creates for people.

Of note, I always figured I'm fair game for whatever I type into a machine or search engine, but the other week I was having a conversation in my house about getting a ceiling fan in our bedroom. 30 mins later hopped online and was flooded with ceiling fan adds. No doubt due to an Alexa device. So now I know it goes beyond just what I type on a computer.
[Reply]
bdj23 03:58 PM 11-05-2020
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
Only reason I am on twitter is the small niche genre of music I follow does most of its promotion and show announcements through Twitter.
I've always found i can get what I need from Twitter without having an account.
[Reply]
Fish 04:21 PM 11-05-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:

It was known but still jarring to watch. Explains a lot about peoples inability to have conversations with others they disagree with due to the echo chamber social media creates for people.

Of note, I always figured I'm fair game for whatever I type into a machine or search engine, but the other week I was having a conversation in my house about getting a ceiling fan in our bedroom. 30 mins later hopped online and was flooded with ceiling fan adds. No doubt due to an Alexa device. So now I know it goes beyond just what I type on a computer.
I know a lot of people are convinced that Alexa/Google/Siri/etc. are eavesdropping on you. But generally it's due to the insanely complicated tracking methods and likes/location information. People have no idea the kind of data that Facebook gathers and models for demographic purposes and how it's all interconnected. Which people have willingly offered when agreeing to the EULA and such.

Here's a decent explanation: https://phys.org/news/2019-06-facebook-ads.html
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:32 PM 11-05-2020

Another spectacular reason for me not to get Alexa.
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:32 PM 11-05-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
I know a lot of people are convinced that Alexa/Google/Siri/etc. are eavesdropping on you. But generally it's due to the insanely complicated tracking methods and likes/location information. People have no idea the kind of data that Facebook gathers and models for demographic purposes and how it's all interconnected.

Here's a decent explanation: https://phys.org/news/2019-06-facebook-ads.html
Good info, and now that I recollect, Facebook was where I first saw the ads. What's odd though, is that it was a spur of the moment thought. Not something that I'd searched or liked or had previously thought of prior to mentioning it. I guess maybe my wife who was on the other end of the conversation could be linked. Either way the timing was impressive and I'll likely be buying a ceiling fan.

Maybe lewdog's fan thread here on CP?
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:33 PM 11-05-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Another spectacular reason for me not to get Alexa.
Actually thinking it was more of a Facebook thing than an Alexa thing after reading Fish's link.
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:36 PM 11-05-2020
I really only use Facebook for beer and music releases and to see how well chicks I've banged in the past have aged.
[Reply]
bdj23 05:58 PM 11-05-2020

Read your user agreements, I'm sure somehow somewhere you gave a microphone permission to listen to you.

Or at least allowed something to spy on you.
[Reply]
Fish 09:19 PM 11-05-2020
Very important suggestion: If you ever sign up for a new service, and they offer to allow you to use your Facebook account as an account for their service? For Fuck's sake, do not do that. What happens at that point is that you give Facebook ownership of all your information on that platform. Your EULA with Facebook gives them ownership of every single post/image/video/etc that you post on any of those interrelated accounts. Keep your accounts separate!
[Reply]
Sorry 11:59 AM 11-07-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Very important suggestion: If you ever sign up for a new service, and they offer to allow you to use your Facebook account as an account for their service? For ****'s sake, do not do that. What happens at that point is that you give Facebook ownership of all your information on that platform. Your EULA with Facebook gives them ownership of every single post/image/video/etc that you post on any of those interrelated accounts. Keep your accounts separate!
Facebook smartly plays on the convenience factor of not wanting to mess with multiple logins.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 12:04 PM 11-07-2020

Your cell phone is listening as well. I've had several advertisements show up after talking about items with only a phone in ear shot.
[Reply]
bdj23 03:34 PM 11-09-2020
Originally Posted by Sorry:
Facebook smartly plays on the convenience factor of not wanting to mess with multiple logins.
One of the most ingenious things Google ever did was their "Save this Password" feature. You have no idea how easily that made everyone rely on Chrome.

I've gotten to the point where I only use Google to pay my bills and this place, while I use Duckduckgo for everything else.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up