ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Media Center>Is anyone watching "Away" with Hillary Swank?
Megatron96 09:34 PM 11-04-2020
Just started watching this. In fact, I just finished the first episode. Okay, most of it. Gonna watch the rest on my lay-over tonight.

So far it seems pretty good. Just wondered if anyone else has seen it and what the consensus might be.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:35 PM 11-04-2020
Watched the season.

She bothers me but it was pretty well done.
[Reply]
Megatron96 09:43 PM 11-04-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Watched the season.

Oh good. No "how about if everyone suddenly turns gay because water shortage," or "oh look, we traveled back in time," nonsense? Just a trip to Mars and mostly the usual sci-fi difficulties? I don't think I can deal with another show that goes completely off the res because "drama."

Should I ask why she bothers you? Or is it just the character?
[Reply]
Bowser 10:01 PM 11-04-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Watched the season.

Agreed
[Reply]
Frazod 10:21 PM 11-04-2020
First I've heard of it. As for Swank, she can be great or awful. Her performance in Black Dahlia was Sofia Coppola bad.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:01 PM 11-04-2020
It can be slow in parts, but it has a way of pulling you in.
[Reply]
eDave 11:50 PM 11-04-2020
Couldn't get past 2 or 3 episodes.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:57 AM 11-05-2020
There was a thread awhile back about it. Didn’t seem to gain much traction. So I haven’t given the show a shot.
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:09 PM 11-05-2020
So I watched thru ep3. Weird that I got the "gay" and water shortage" things right. I pulled those two things from two other shows I tried to watch last year. Maybe that's just where current sci-fi shows are going, I guess.

Anyway, overall I like the show. I have issues with how they portrayed these astronauts (they're too emotional overall, and dang they're a weepy bunch). Also they skip back and forth time-wise a lot, but it's the first season so they have to find a way to develop characters somehow.

1.5 thumbs up for now.
[Reply]
unlurking 02:35 PM 11-05-2020
I've heard it was basically a soap opera with space scenery disguising it as sci-fi, so I haven't bothered.
[Reply]
unlurking 02:37 PM 11-05-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:

I have issues with how they portrayed these astronauts (they're too emotional overall, and dang they're a weepy bunch). ...

Hate that kind of program. One reason I hate S3 of STD and pretty much all CW shows after the first season.
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:21 PM 11-06-2020
Okay, so now I've watched a couple more episodes and yeah, it's a soap opera. Lots of emotional nonsense no real astronaut would ever show during a mission. Every character breaks down into tears several times. And the level of bickering is ridiculous. It's like the writers never spent a minute researching how real pilots/astronauts behave. Probably the most realistic portrayal is the guy that plays Hillary's husband. And maybe the cosmonaut, right up to the moment he decides to get all weepy as well.

The story isn't bad though, and who knows the series might be salvageable in subsequent seasons.

Not sure I'll watch any more of this at this point.
[Reply]
TRR 05:05 PM 11-06-2020
Netflix has officially cancelled season 2 of Away. Don’t waste your time.
[Reply]
Frazod 05:10 PM 11-06-2020
Sounded like a hard pass anyway.
[Reply]
keg in kc 06:17 PM 11-06-2020
I tried watching it, but through two episodes it was much more soap opera than science fiction.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up