ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Media Center>StarTrek: "Undiscovered Country" - best Trek movie of all time?
Megatron96 12:26 AM 11-03-2020
Is it possible that "Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country" is the best Star Trek Original Series movie, and not "Star Trek: Wrath of Khan," as most people have always thought?

Seriously important stuff we're thinking about over here . . .
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 09:25 PM 11-10-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
It makes Star Trek: The Motion Picture so much better, right?
Well damn, I had not heard of the V-Ger/Borg connection either.

Now I am gonna have to get out my ST:TMP Blu-ray and give it a spin this week.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:51 PM 11-10-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Yea. I never knew that either?

I do remember the Decker character being the son of Commodore Decker from the ‘Doomsday Machine’ episode of the original series.
Yeah, they never mentioned that in the movie, but it was in the novelization. One of the many potentially cool items they could have done so much with.

Another interesting bit: Saavik was half Vulcan, half Romulan. Kirstie Alley played the part with more emotion that a normal Vulcan. Unfortunately when Robin Curtis took over for her in III and IV she basically played Saavik like a pure Vulcan. Of course it should be noted that Nimoy directed both of those.

As I mentioned earlier, this had the potential to be a great story arc but was sadly completely dropped. Saavik is truly emotional, falls in love with Kirk's son David, and after he is killed is completely consumed by a desire for vengeance that causes her to support the Federation/Klingon war conspirators. Instead we got Robin the Robot in III and IV and Valeris in VI. But imagine how powerful the sick bay scene in VI could have been had it been Kirstie Alley's Saavik losing her shit, screaming at Kirk about how she loved David and watched him die at the hands of Klingons and that's why she turned on them. Goddamn that would have been fantastic.

Nimoy and Roddenberry really fucked us on that one. :-)
[Reply]
Jamie 11-10-2020, 10:00 PM
This message has been deleted by Jamie.
htismaqe 10:09 PM 11-10-2020
I'm a big fan of Nemesis myself.
[Reply]
keg in kc 10:13 PM 11-10-2020
Half Vulcan and Half Romulan wouldn't really be a meaningful thing in that sense, although I suppose that part of the mythos hadn't been developed yet when Wrath of Khan was written. Because as it turns out, Romulans are just Vulcans who left Vulcan. It's a philosophical or cultural difference, rather than a biological one.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:23 PM 11-10-2020
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Half Vulcan and Half Romulan wouldn't really be a meaningful thing in that sense, although I suppose that part of the mythos hadn't been developed yet when Wrath of Khan was written. Because as it turns out, Romulans are just Vulcans who left Vulcan. It's a philosophical or cultural difference, rather than a biological one.
That's oversimplifying it a bit, I think. Romulans are descended from Vulcans who left Vulcan centuries ago. There were subtle differences in appearance between the races. The main idea is that Saavik wouldn't be able to suppress her emotions as easily as a full-blooded Vulcan, and likely experienced the same types of prejudices that Spock endured as a child. There were several scenes in II where she looked like she wanted to slap Kirk upside the head.

But yeah, we're debating the finer points of the lineage of a movie character from 1982 based on years worth of additional information that came later. There's probably not a wrong viewpoint here. :-)
[Reply]
keg in kc 10:29 PM 11-10-2020
Yeah, but what else are two old guys with too much accumulated useless knowledge going to argue about on the internet after they should both be asleep...
[Reply]
Frazod 10:32 PM 11-10-2020
Yeah, but what else are two old guys with too much accumulated useless knowledge going to argue about on the internet after they should both be asleep...
Exactly. :-)
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:38 PM 11-11-2020
This is pretty much how this thread got started.:-)
[Reply]
notorious 08:21 PM 11-11-2020
"The Chase" from TNG was criminally underplayed.

Humans, Cardassians, Romulans, and Klingons find out they all came from the same DNA.

They could have took the concept and made it into an epic movie to end the TNG timeline. Instead it was wasted and forgotten.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:52 PM 11-11-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
"The Chase" from TNG was criminally underplayed.

Humans, Cardassians, Romulans, and Klingons find out they all came from the same DNA.

They could have took the concept and made it into an epic movie to end the TNG timeline. Instead it was wasted and forgotten.
It was a good episode, but my take on it was just them trying to explain how species from different planets all over the galaxy shared enough similar biologic traits to mate and product offspring.
[Reply]
Molitoth 04:40 PM 11-13-2020
I was never a Star Trek kid. (Always Star Wars!!!)

Until a few years ago... when I watched Star Trek The Original Motion Picture.
I absolutely loved it... and went through the entire movie series.

Then, I went back and watched the original Series just to get a respect for Shatner (What a badass he was back then).

I then got into (The Next Generation) because I remembered hating it as a kid... but this time around, damn good show!

Then I did Star Trek Discovery which was entertaining through Season 1 and got too stupid in season 2 so I quit.

I've yet to touch Deep Space Nine or Nemesis.

I just went back and re-watched Star Trek (2009) and Into Darkness and loved them even the second time through. What a great casting they did on those films. Benedict as Kahn, Pine as Kirk, Bones, Sulu... Loved them all.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:31 PM 11-13-2020
Originally Posted by Molitoth:

Then, I went back and watched the original Series just to get a respect for Shatner (What a badass he was back then).

I then got into (The Next Generation) because I remembered hating it as a kid... but this time around, damn good show!

Then I did Star Trek Discovery which was entertaining through Season 1 and got too stupid in season 2 so I quit.

I just went back and re-watched Star Trek (2009) and Into Darkness and loved them even the second time through. What a great casting they did on those films. Benedict as Kahn, Pine as Kirk, Bones, Sulu... Loved them all.
Wow. This must be the most assbackwards way of becoming a Star Trek fan I've ever heard. :-)

DS9 is probably overall the best Star Trek series. The first three seasons are a bit mundane, but starting in Season 4 Worf joins the cast as a regular and after that it soars. It is far and away the darkest and most violent series, and despite Captain Kirk being my hero since childhood, I have to admit that Sisko is the best overall captain.
[Reply]
notorious 06:39 PM 11-13-2020
DS9 is the best overall series. Quark and Garrack are fantastic.

"In the Pale Moonlight" has the single best scene between two characters in the series.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:52 PM 11-13-2020
Originally Posted by Molitoth:

Wow, no love for Voyager or Star Trek Enterprise?
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:23 PM 11-13-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
DS9 is the best overall series. Quark and Garrack are fantastic.

"In the Pale Moonlight" has the single best scene between two characters in the series.
I was always a fan of Odo. Great 'sherriff' character.

And Jadzia Dax. Mmmmm. Yummy.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Up