ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Media Center>StarTrek: "Undiscovered Country" - best Trek movie of all time?
Megatron96 12:26 AM 11-03-2020
Is it possible that "Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country" is the best Star Trek Original Series movie, and not "Star Trek: Wrath of Khan," as most people have always thought?

Seriously important stuff we're thinking about over here . . .
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:48 PM 11-04-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I'll take your word for it. FWIW, I did two seven month deployments in the Med and that was the only time I ever saw a shark or heard about anybody else seeing one, so I guess it's safe to call it a rare occurrence. It was a big deal among the crew; the only reason I saw it at all is because other people were talking about it. Most of the crew would have been in the right age group to have seen Jaws when they were kids.

All I know is I'd have opened up on the fucker with a .50 if they'd have let me. :-)
It's just a SWAG. Could've been a GW, but the odds are pretty dang small. And a Mako looks pretty much exactly like a GW, just doesn't get as big. Mako will still try to eat you though, given the right circumstances. It'll just do it at about 35 mph. Things can outrun a tuna.

Great White:

Shortfin Mako:

The Mako is 'leaner' and its teeth are shaped a little different, but from a distance above the water, they'd look a lot alike, as long as the mako was at least 10 feet long or so.

Was the shark fat? Like thicker than what would probably be proportional? If it was, then it was probably a GW, not a mako.
[Reply]
eDave 08:35 PM 11-04-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Seriously? You're gonna have to explain that at some point. It's obviously better than "Voyage Home," and "Final Frontier."
I'll give it another go but I just didn't care for it for some reason. And I love the whale one quite a bit. 1 is the best, for me. V-ger was the best antagonist. Just a cool concept.
[Reply]
Megatron96 08:44 PM 11-04-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
I'll give it another go but I just didn't care for it for some reason. And I love the whale one quite a bit. 1 is the best, for me. V-ger was the best antagonist. Just a cool concept.
Haha, you're weird, Dave.

Though I did like the V-ger idea, but the movie was too slow, and everyone in it was kind of stilted.

The whale one wasn't good. It was fun for about 20 minutes then it just got kind of silly.
[Reply]
Bowser 09:07 PM 11-04-2020
I feel like I need to stick up for Nemesis somewhat here, if only for the climax battle between the Enterprise, the Scimitar, and two next gen Romulan battleships. Yes, the dune buggy scene was cringe, yes the psi-rape was disturbing, but that final battle was worth it. And I thought young Tom Hardy did great as the villain.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:09 PM 11-04-2020
It's just a SWAG. Could've been a GW, but the odds are pretty dang small. And a Mako looks pretty much exactly like a GW, just doesn't get as big. Mako will still try to eat you though, given the right circumstances. It'll just do it at about 35 mph. Things can outrun a tuna.

The Mako is 'leaner' and its teeth are shaped a little different, but from a distance above the water, they'd look a lot alike, as long as the mako was at least 10 feet long or so.

Was the shark fat? Like thicker than what would probably be proportional? If it was, then it was probably a GW, not a mako.
Dude, this happened back in 1986. I just remember seeing a big ass shark. It was closer to the carrier we were unrepping than us, too, so I didn't have a great vantage point. I just remember big, gray, fins. That's pretty much it. :-)
[Reply]
alpha_omega 12:02 PM 11-06-2020
....Though I did like the V-ger idea, but the movie was too slow, and everyone in it was kind of stilted.......
Agreed.

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:38 PM 11-06-2020
Originally Posted by alpha_omega:
Agreed
I guess I'm one of the few that really liked Star Trek: The Motion Picture, especially the 40th Anniversary Edition, which featured some new scenes.

I liked it even better decades later after realizing that the world in which Voyager became V'ger was the homeworld of the Borg, obviously before they assimilated V'ger but the Borg nonetheless.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:39 PM 11-06-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I guess I'm one of the few that really liked Star Trek: The Motion Picture, especially the 40th Anniversary Edition, which featured some new scenes.

I liked it even better decades later after realizing that the world in which Voyager became V'ger was the homeworld of the Borg, obviously before they assimilated V'ger but the Borg nonetheless.
I actually watched it again recently. While I still appreciate the special effects, which were fantastic for the late 70s, it still fails for boredom, bad acting, and the complete lack of a compelling villain. Vast stretches of the movie remind me of the interminable scene from 2001 where Bowman was in the pod. Hey look, long helicopter shots of barren landscapes with the colors skewed! Isn't that cool? Woohoo.

It's better than V and Insurrection. The scene where Scotty gives Kirk the tour of the ship is great. That's about all I can say about it.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:19 PM 11-06-2020
I actually watched it again recently. While I still appreciate the special effects, which were fantastic for the late 70s, it still fails for boredom, bad acting, and the complete lack of a compelling villain. Vast stretches of the movie remind me of the interminable scene from 2001 where Bowman was in the pod. Hey look, long helicopter shots of barren landscapes with the colors skewed! Isn't that cool? Woohoo
Yeah, for years on end, I felt the same exact way.

I watched the Special Edition on one of the streaming channels in the past few years and came to appreciate the movie for what it was for the time. But with the inclusion of what would become the Borg made the movie much better overall for me. Plus, there's that "Nostalgia Factor" at play because I really liked the movie from the first time I saw it in 1979 at the Glenwood.

I only soured on it later, especially after The Wrath of Khan.

It's better than V and Insurrection. The scene where Scotty gives Kirk the tour of the ship is great. That's about all I can say about it.
I saw V on opening night at the Glenwood Theater. I had a hard time figuring out where the story was headed and once we got to the 3rd act, I was just bored out of my mind. My girlfriend at the time, who also loved Trek, fell asleep in the theater. I've heard Shatner say that budget cuts during filming really affected the story and story arc overall, so I don't think we're in the minority.

What's funny is that I used to chat with Shatner in the early 90's because he frequented a bar that was called Residuals, which was less than a 1 minute walk from my apartment at the time and I never once thought to chat about Trek with him. They had Karaoke Sundays and Shatner was a blast because he'd get up and do is "Beatnik" thing, which was hilariously entertaining.

I know he's gotten a bad rap over the years from his other Star Trek actors but I've run into him too many times to count and he was always kind, witty, humorous and generous with his time. I sat next to him and his family at Jerry's Famous Deli on Ventura one Sunday morning and he treated everyone with great respect. He's certainly not one of that pampered divas that treats people like garbage.

Insurrection was just unwatchable. I've tried to watch it over the years but I just find F. Murray Abraham's performance to be almost comical in its presentation.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:38 PM 11-06-2020
Great story about Shatner. I've really gotten sick of all the other actors bagging on him for shit that he did decades ago, especially Takei. Is there anything that guy isn't butthurt about? The way he whines about everything reminds me of what you once said about Henley; how nobody who has enjoyed so much success has any right to be so miserable.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 06:56 PM 11-10-2020
....after realizing that the world in which Voyager became V'ger was the homeworld of the Borg, obviously before they assimilated V'ger but the Borg nonetheless.
Wait, what?!?!?!
Apparently I need to surrender my Star Trek card.

Makes sense now.
[Reply]
eDave 07:23 PM 11-10-2020
Yea I missed the V-ger Borg connection. That's tits.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:30 PM 11-10-2020
Wait, what?!?!?!

Makes sense now.
Originally Posted by eDave:
Yea I missed the V-ger Borg connection. That's tits.

It makes Star Trek: The Motion Picture so much better, right?
[Reply]
Bowser 09:07 PM 11-10-2020
It makes Star Trek: The Motion Picture so much better, right?
Makes me wonder what REALLY happened to Decker
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:13 PM 11-10-2020
Wait, what?!?!?!

Makes sense now.
Yea. I never knew that either?

I do remember the Decker character being the son of Commodore Decker from the ‘Doomsday Machine’ episode of the original series.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Up