ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 7
1 2345 > Last »
Media Center>StarTrek: "Undiscovered Country" - best Trek movie of all time?
Megatron96 12:26 AM 11-03-2020
Is it possible that "Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country" is the best Star Trek Original Series movie, and not "Star Trek: Wrath of Khan," as most people have always thought?

Seriously important stuff we're thinking about over here . . .
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:57 AM 11-03-2020
Directed by the same guy, Nick Meyer.

He knows his shit. And Shakespeare.

And he wrote the screenplay for Star Trek IV.

Basically, Nick is a genius.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 02:09 AM 11-03-2020
I like both Star Trek II and Star Trek VI, but I would have to give the edge to Wrath of Khan...too many classic moments.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:32 AM 11-03-2020
Star Trek II. VI is really good, as is First Contact, but II is pretty much untouchable. Best villain, great special effects that still hold up today, and it also saved the franchise; another outing like the first movie would pretty much been the end of it, at least for a long time. Imagine a world where there was no Next Generation or Deep Space Nine, and instead we went straight into the Jar Jar Abrams reboot. *shudder*
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:52 AM 11-03-2020
Khan beats it, but Undiscovered Country is still very, very good.

Christopher Plummer created a pretty good villain too.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:11 AM 11-03-2020
What would have been the best part of Undiscovered County sadly never happened. Meyer wanted the Valeris character to be Saavik, but Roddenberry shot it down. That would have made her betrayal of Kirk and Spock far more poignant.
[Reply]
Drexl Spivey 01:24 PM 11-03-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
What would have been the best part of Undiscovered County sadly never happened. Meyer wanted the Valeris character to be Saavik, but Roddenberry shot it down. That would have made her betrayal of Kirk and Spock far more poignant.
Interesting......never heard that before. II is my favorite but VI is definitely my #2. I loved the space battle at the end of VI and always preferred the Klingons as bad guys!
[Reply]
Jamie 01:29 PM 11-03-2020
1. II - The Wrath of Khan
2. VI - The Undiscovered Country
3. IV - The Voyage Home
4. Beyond
5. First Contact
6. Star Trek (2009)
7. III - The Search for Spock
8. I - TMP
----shit line----
9. Insurrection
10. Generations
11. Nemesis
12. Into Darkness
13. V - The Final Frontier
[Reply]
alpha_omega 02:02 PM 11-03-2020
I have to admit i haven't even seen all of those, but the whale one was definitely the worst one i have seen.

That being said, i haven't seen one better than II.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:09 PM 11-03-2020
Originally Posted by alpha_omega:
I have to admit i haven't even seen all of those, but the whale one was definitely the worst one i have seen.

That being said, i haven't seen one better than II.
I'm not a big fan of IV either. I mean, it's a fun, well-made movie, but to me it's not really Star Trek; it's more like Star Trek vacations in San Francisco.

Star Trek needs a good villain. A mindless alien probe trying to talk to whales just doesn't cut it.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 02:27 PM 11-03-2020
I'm not a big fan of IV either. I mean, it's a fun, well-made movie, but to me it's not really Star Trek; it's more like Star Trek vacations in San Francisco.

Star Trek needs a good villain. A mindless alien probe trying to talk to whales just doesn't cut it.
Well double dumbass on you!
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:45 PM 11-03-2020
The Wrath of Khan was an amazing film and what was even more amazing was doing a Q&A with Nicholas Meyer after the first screening of the film back in 1982. The VFX weren't finished and there were a few scenes that needed to be re-shot but it was a really incredible experience.

My second favorite is First Contact. That movie took Trek lore to 11 and was a super fun movie to boot. Great casting all around, especially Zefram Cochrane.

I probably enjoyed IV and VI about the same although they're completely different in terms of tone.

The rest are "okay" although Generations is completely unwatchable for me, as are the other two TNG movies. The way they killed off Kirk was ridiculous and in no way, shape or form, honored the character, IMO.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:58 PM 11-03-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
The Wrath of Khan was an amazing film and what was even more amazing was doing a Q&A with Nicholas Meyer after the first screening of the film back in 1982. The VFX weren't finished and there were a few scenes that needed to be re-shot but it was a really incredible experience.

My second favorite is First Contact. That movie took Trek lore to 11 and was a super fun movie to boot. Great casting all around, especially Zefram Cochrane.

I probably enjoyed IV and VI about the same although they're completely different in terms of tone.

The rest are "okay" although Generations is completely unwatchable for me, as are the other two TNG movies. The way they killed off Kirk was ridiculous and in no way, shape or form, honored the character, IMO.
I like Generations more than most, I guess. While I also didn't care for the way Kirk went out, and there were some ridiculous plot holes, it had a strong villain in Malcolm McDowall, and the Enterprise getting blasted to shit and then crashing was well done. I rank it above I and V. It's about on the same level with Nemesis, which is also overall kind of lame but has some good parts.

The one I hate the most is Insurrection. It was like a bad NG episode made into a movie. I remember being very unhappy as I left the theater.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:04 PM 11-03-2020
I like Generations more than most, I guess. While I also didn't care for the way Kirk went out, and there were some ridiculous plot holes, it had a strong villain in Malcolm McDowall, and the Enterprise getting blasted to shit and then crashing was well done. I rank it above I and V. It's about on the same level with Nemesis, which is also overall kind of lame but has some good parts.

The one I hate the most is Insurrection. It was like a bad NG episode made into a movie. I remember being very unhappy as I left the theater.
McDowall is always great in everything but man, the way they treated Kirk was unconscionable to me.

As much as I hated the way Disney treated Luke Skywalker, I think the treatment of James T. Kirk was far worse.

My adrenaline is pumping right now, just thinking about it! :-)
[Reply]
Frazod 03:20 PM 11-03-2020
You won't like First Contact nearly as much as you once did if you watch this:

Plinkett makes some excellent points, too.

Watch at your risk. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 7
1 2345 > Last »
Up