ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 12
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Media Center>Anyone build anything lately
Perineum Ripper 02:21 PM 09-05-2020
Since the world has been going to shit, thought I would see if anyone has built anything recently.

With the upcoming release of the 3000 GPUs, I might have to build one. Wife is also about to start a new business, and we will need a bigger better computer anyway.
[Reply]
vailpass 06:33 PM 11-10-2020
Originally Posted by mdstu:
What kind of delivery dates do they guarantee?

Asking because it is so hard to find the new 3000 series Nvidia cards.
That’s one of the reasons I ordered today, to be sure and get one in time. They say it will ship by 11/12 (see email below).

Our experts are currently forging your build in the fires of NZXT. Sit tight, for soon you will have a companion worthy of your greatness.

We hope your new NZXT BLD PC brings you joy during these troubling times. Your health and safety are important to us. Here’s what we’ve done to ensure your new PC was built in a safe and clean environment:

Our build stations are sanitized between every shift.
We provide our builders with masks, hand sanitizer, and gloves.
We adjusted our workstations to allow our builders to be 6 feet away from each other at all times.

Estimated Ship Date: 11/12/20

[Reply]
hometeam 06:35 PM 11-10-2020
I built a new desk.

I made the plans, ordered all the hardware, assembled, and wired everything. If you look closely, you can see there are almost no wires running around under the desk. This is the first time I have done this and WOW its nice not to have a mess. Just used those wire under desk wiring organizers on amazon to hide it all. Wife bought the lumber, I helped her cut it up but she made the tops and stained and clear coated everything. It's a s
simple setup that we can build on, 13 foot by 8 foot, just a nice solid sturdy desk. Eventually will replace part of the legs with storage, talking about putting an elevated rear section on, and best of all, have a bunch of RGB that's ready to be wired this weekend.

left PC (mine)
3900x+3090

middle PC (wife)
7700k+1080ti

right PC (kids)
3600x+1660ti

Dog (I bought her but somehow she became my wifes)
Poppy+Steelseries Arctis 7 wireless
[Reply]
mdstu 07:49 PM 11-10-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
That’s one of the reasons I ordered today, to be sure and get one in time. They say it will ship by 11/12 (see email below).

Our experts are currently forging your build in the fires of NZXT. Sit tight, for soon you will have a companion worthy of your greatness.

We hope your new NZXT BLD PC brings you joy during these troubling times. Your health and safety are important to us. Here’s what we’ve done to ensure your new PC was built in a safe and clean environment:

Our build stations are sanitized between every shift.
We provide our builders with masks, hand sanitizer, and gloves.
We adjusted our workstations to allow our builders to be 6 feet away from each other at all times.

Estimated Ship Date: 11/12/20
Interesting. I got pretty excited to get the 3080 when all the release hype began. Now I'm like fuck it, I'll wait for the AMD 6000 series release. See which one becomes readily available first.

Congrats on snagging a great gift for what I'm guessing is a great kid. Hope you get the reaction you're hoping for.
[Reply]
mdstu 07:55 PM 11-10-2020
Originally Posted by hometeam:

What's the old saying?

A family that games together, stays together.
[Reply]
vailpass 08:14 PM 11-10-2020
Originally Posted by mdstu:
Interesting. I got pretty excited to get the 3080 when all the release hype began. Now I'm like **** it, I'll wait for the AMD 6000 series release. See which one becomes readily available first.

Congrats on snagging a great gift for what I'm guessing is a great kid. Hope you get the reaction you're hoping for.
Same way here, it’s such a rat race this year I just didn’t feel like messing with it.

That’s a nice thing to say. Thank you.
[Reply]
vailpass 08:17 PM 11-10-2020
I built a new desk.

I made the plans, ordered all the hardware, assembled, and wired everything. If you look closely, you can see there are almost no wires running around under the desk. This is the first time I have done this and WOW its nice not to have a mess. Just used those wire under desk wiring organizers on amazon to hide it all. Wife bought the lumber, I helped her cut it up but she made the tops and stained and clear coated everything. It's a s
simple setup that we can build on, 13 foot by 8 foot, just a nice solid sturdy desk. Eventually will replace part of the legs with storage, talking about putting an elevated rear section on, and best of all, have a bunch of RGB that's ready to be wired this weekend.

Very nice.
[Reply]
Pants 09:16 PM 11-10-2020
Thanks man, you shared some really useful stuff here. Would you prefer a 27” monitor over a 32” for gaming?
I've never played on a 32" but I imagine it's probably really freaking nice.

I for sure wouldn't go below 27", though.

When I said 27" was the sweet spot, I meant in terms of bang for the buck.

Since you spoil the ever living shit outta your kids, I'm sure Vailpass Jr. is getting a 32" ultrawide. :-)

EDIT: I meant that last part as a huge positive, obviously. Sometimes tone is easy to misconstrue on the webz.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:11 PM 11-10-2020
HFS, hometeam.

That's insane.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 10:46 PM 11-10-2020
Honestly if I didn't have a gsync monitor I'd be all over the new amd cards
[Reply]
vailpass 12:55 PM 11-11-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
I've never played on a 32" but I imagine it's probably really freaking nice.

I for sure wouldn't go below 27", though.

When I said 27" was the sweet spot, I meant in terms of bang for the buck.

Since you spoil the ever living shit outta your kids, I'm sure Vailpass Jr. is getting a 32" ultrawide. :-)

EDIT: I meant that last part as a huge positive, obviously. Sometimes tone is easy to misconstrue on the webz.
:-)
[Reply]
Fish 11:26 PM 11-12-2020
So, I wanted to mention the CPU cooler I got recently. Recommended from a few places online when looking at reviews, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm blown away by the performance compared to the price point. It's not the quietist fan available, but for temp/$ it's the best I've found. It's got 4 copper pipe tubes directly in contact with the CPU, that goes to a huge radiator and powerful fan. Fits both LGA and AM4. Comes with LED in various colors if you want.

I'm running an Intel 9600K 3.7Ghz CPU currently OC'd at 4.8Ghz and still cannot get temps over 65 degrees C under a 30min stress test. Tempted to push this to 5Ghz, but I'm really not sure I need to.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725SBNVV/

Additional tip: I have used ARCTIC MX-4 Thermal Compound for CPU paste on many of my most recent builds, and that too has performed really well. Don't go cheap on the CPU thermal paste.
[Reply]
Fish 01:06 AM 11-13-2020
Just for giggles, I pushed it up to 5Ghz and did another stress test. Actually pretty stable and still running load stress temps ~60 degrees and idle temps ~32 degrees. LOL. ❤ Intel.

[Reply]
htismaqe 07:09 AM 11-13-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
So, I wanted to mention the CPU cooler I got recently. Recommended from a few places online when looking at reviews, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm blown away by the performance compared to the price point. It's not the quietist fan available, but for temp/$ it's the best I've found. It's got 4 copper pipe tubes directly in contact with the CPU, that goes to a huge radiator and powerful fan. Fits both LGA and AM4. Comes with LED in various colors if you want.

I'm running an Intel 9600K 3.7Ghz CPU currently OC'd at 4.8Ghz and still cannot get temps over 65 degrees C under a 30min stress test. Tempted to push this to 5Ghz, but I'm really not sure I need to.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725SBNVV/

Additional tip: I have used ARCTIC MX-4 Thermal Compound for CPU paste on many of my most recent builds, and that too has performed really well. Don't go cheap on the CPU thermal paste.
I've always had good luck with these types of designs. I once made the MSI CO HoF with an AMD chipset with something kind of like this.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 09:03 AM 11-13-2020
I built a new desk.

left PC (mine)
3900x+3090

middle PC (wife)
7700k+1080ti

right PC (kids)
3600x+1660ti

Dog (I bought her but somehow she became my wifes)
Poppy+Steelseries Arctis 7 wireless
Very nice.

I see what you did there.
[Reply]
Pants 09:17 AM 11-13-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Just for giggles, I pushed it up to 5Ghz and did another stress test. Actually pretty stable and still running load stress temps ~60 degrees and idle temps ~32 degrees. LOL. ❤ Intel.

I have an AIO water cooler for the CPU and I don't think it's worth the money as far the performance go. It looks cleaner as a build and is a little quieter, but I don't think I would go that route again.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 12
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Up