ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Media Center>anyone have or tried the roku netflix player?
KC Jones 08:08 PM 12-23-2008
http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/index.php

If you have netflix unlimited service and broadband you can use it to stream movies/shows real time. Supposedly they are adding the ability to stream from other sources (speculation is comedy central, msnbc, hulu, yuotube, and others)

I'm considering it as an alternative to television service. I can still get the major networks over the air and use this for most other things. I don't particularly watch television anyway. I have no problem waiting for DVD releases of decent shows years after they air. I figure it'd save a ton over the basic offers from cable or satellite providers and I get to see more stuff that I like.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:07 PM 11-15-2020
Originally Posted by alpha_omega:
That makes sense.
Roku casts a pretty big net, wonder why it took them so long.?
Ad revenue negotiations with Apple
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:42 PM 11-15-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Ad revenue negotiations with Apple
Same reason there's still no HBO Max or Peacock apps on Roku yet.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:47 PM 11-15-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Same reason there's still no HBO Max or Peacock apps on Roku yet.
Peacock has been available for like 3 weeks but HBO Max is still refusing terms.

They only have 36 million total subs yet they want to compete with Disney+ and Netlix while fueding with Roku and Amazon.

There have been less than 8 million activations for HBO MAX.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:40 AM 11-16-2020
As of tomorrow, HBO MAX will be available on Amazon Fire products.

No word yet on Roku.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:08 PM 11-16-2020
Peacock has been available for like 3 weeks but HBO Max is still refusing terms.

They only have 36 million total subs yet they want to compete with Disney+ and Netlix while fueding with Roku and Amazon.

There have been less than 8 million activations for HBO MAX.
I wasn't aware Roku and NBC Universal had struck an agreement. Thanks!
[Reply]
HayWire 12:48 PM 11-16-2020
I wasn't aware Roku and NBC Universal had struck an agreement. Thanks!
We've been watching the Peacock channel since it came out and even the free version is great.

I'm down to paying for nothing except Netflix
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:01 PM 11-16-2020
Originally Posted by HayWire:
We've been watching the Peacock channel since it came out and even the free version is great.

I'm down to paying for nothing except Netflix
I really wanted it to watch back episodes of Chicago PD. Of course, they're not available.
[Reply]
HayWire 01:08 PM 11-16-2020
I really wanted it to watch back episodes of Chicago PD. Of course, they're not available.
You obviously get a lot more with the premium version but I was quite surprised about how much content is free.

Between my Roku and casting from my laptop I'm not sure how much longer I'll even keep Netflix
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:27 PM 11-16-2020
Originally Posted by HayWire:
Between my Roku and casting from my laptop I'm not sure how much longer I'll even keep Netflix
That's the plan.

Warner Brothers, CBS/Paramount and Universal are regaining control of most of the content that's been licensed out to Hulu, Amazon and Netflix over the course of the next 5-10 years, with the intention of rivaling Netflix in terms of subs.

Disney+ is the closest with 73 million subscribers, which while impressive, pales to the Netflix sub base of 173 million. HBO has 36 million subs, as does Hulu. It's expected that Paramount Plus, which has a planned launch in 1Q21, will have a large sub base because CBS All Access combined with Showtime already has around 17 million subscribers.

The bottom line is that Netflix needs to continually churn out high-level content and even then, they will eventually lose tens of millions of subscribers.
[Reply]
HayWire 01:33 PM 11-16-2020
That's the plan.

Warner Brothers, CBS/Paramount and Universal are regaining control of most of the content that's been licensed out to Hulu, Amazon and Netflix over the course of the next 5-10 years, with the intention of rivaling Netflix in terms of subs.

Disney+ is the closest with 73 million subscribers, which while impressive, pales to the Netflix sub base of 173 million. HBO has 36 million subs, as does Hulu. It's expected that Paramount Plus, which has a planned launch in 1Q21, will have a large sub base because CBS All Access combined with Showtime already has around 17 million subscribers.

The bottom line is that Netflix needs to continually churn out high-level content and even then, they will eventually lose tens of millions of subscribers.
We've kept it so far because of convenience and familiarity. We've had it for about 6 years so we've been hesitant so far but I'm now thinking just keep it through the winter and cancel when we're not watching as much in the spring
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:54 PM 11-16-2020
That's the plan.

Yep.

Netflix built their business on being a one-stop shop. With the producers getting into the distribution game, Netflix has been forced to become a producer.

There's just no way for them to sustain things the way they are. Those days are long gone.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:34 PM 11-16-2020
Yep.

Netflix built their business on being a one-stop shop. With the producers getting into the distribution game, Netflix has been forced to become a producer.

There's just no way for them to sustain things the way they are. Those days are long gone.
Sony is the lone holdout and I expect that to continue for at least the next half a decade, if not much longer, because they do not have the infrastructure or autonomy as the other companies.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up