ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Media Center>anyone have or tried the roku netflix player?
KC Jones 08:08 PM 12-23-2008
http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/index.php

If you have netflix unlimited service and broadband you can use it to stream movies/shows real time. Supposedly they are adding the ability to stream from other sources (speculation is comedy central, msnbc, hulu, yuotube, and others)

I'm considering it as an alternative to television service. I can still get the major networks over the air and use this for most other things. I don't particularly watch television anyway. I have no problem waiting for DVD releases of decent shows years after they air. I figure it'd save a ton over the basic offers from cable or satellite providers and I get to see more stuff that I like.
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 08:31 PM 12-23-2008
PS3/XBox360 can do all of that, plus you can play games on them. :-)
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 09:48 PM 12-23-2008
just bought one for my parents for christmas today.
[Reply]
KCChiefsMan 07:53 PM 12-24-2008
man, I watched a couple of movies and a TV series on netflix's watch instantly and Sunflower billed me an extra $100 for bandwidth. That's the only thing I could think of that would cause that. I play Warhammer online a little bit, but damn I didn't think I was streaming/playing games that freaking much. So I upgraded to the Gold account and the internet is only a tiny bit faster, but I guess I'll see where I'm at
[Reply]
aturnis 08:59 PM 12-24-2008
Originally Posted by KCChiefsMan:
man, I watched a couple of movies and a TV series on netflix's watch instantly and Sunflower billed me an extra $100 for bandwidth. That's the only thing I could think of that would cause that. I play Warhammer online a little bit, but damn I didn't think I was streaming/playing games that freaking much. So I upgraded to the Gold account and the internet is only a tiny bit faster, but I guess I'll see where I'm at
Sunflower?
[Reply]
KCChiefsMan 10:36 PM 12-24-2008
Originally Posted by aturnis:
Sunflower?
yup, Lawrence's only cable option. Besides Walmart, it's the worst company of all time.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 11:24 PM 12-24-2008
Originally Posted by KCChiefsMan:
not a chance....and HD movie is only a few gigs....unless you watched 100 of them, your ISP wouldn't even notice.
[Reply]
KCChiefsMan 01:47 AM 12-25-2008
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats.:
not a chance....and HD movie is only a few gigs....unless you watched 100 of them, your ISP wouldn't even notice.
oh, I was talking about streaming them. I was billed over $100 for bandwidth last month and that's the only thing I can think of, unless someone is stealing my cable or something. I probably watched 3 or 4 movies off of my xbox and almost all of Dead Like Me season 1
[Reply]
alpha_omega 10:23 AM 11-15-2020
Ok, so i know this thread is really old, but there weren't any others that seemed appropriate and i didn't want to start a Roku thread so here you go.....

Long awaited...and finally!

Roku OS 9.4 is rolling out now with AirPlay 2 and HomeKit support

Roku’s next platform update has arrived. Version 9.4 is rolling out to “select 4K Roku devices,” the company explained in a press release, including the Roku Ultra player, Roku Streambar, Roku Smart Soundbar, Roku Streaming Stick+ and Roku Premiere. (Gosh, the company makes a lot of hardware these days…) The software update should then hit compatible TVs “in the coming days,” according to Roku. Version 9.4 introduces a live TV channel guide that covers free-to-stream offerings and, if you have an antenna connected, over-the-air broadcast channels. It also provides more control for people with multi-channel speaker setups.

The biggest changes, though, are for people who own an iPhone, iPad or Mac. Roku OS 9.4 plays nice with Apple’s AirPlay 2 standard, giving you another way to find and view your favourite content in the living room. The update includes HomeKit support, too, so that you can bark commands via the Home app or Siri. Finally, my colleague Richard Lawler reports that the update fixes a frustrating audio sync issue he had when using a 4K Roku TV in conjunction with a soundbar and external player, such as an Apple TV or Xbox One. I’m sure that will make him very happy as he unwraps his Series X today (not that I’m jealous or anything…)

https://www.engadget.com/roku-9-4-up...140014738.html
[Reply]
vailpass 01:13 PM 11-15-2020
I can already cast from my iPad to Roku, though I usually just throw it straight to the tv. So what else does this update do for Apple devices?
[Reply]
alpha_omega 03:54 PM 11-15-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
I can already cast from my iPad to Roku, though I usually just throw it straight to the tv. So what else does this update do for Apple devices?
Damn, I could never get it to work. Works like a charm now.
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:57 PM 11-15-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Prior to Airplay support, you could only cast apps that supported it. Now you can cast pretty much everything.
[Reply]
vailpass 06:31 PM 11-15-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Prior to Airplay support, you could only cast apps that supported it. Now you can cast pretty much everything.
Thanks. Guess I don’t cast enough to have run into one that doesn’t.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:45 PM 11-15-2020
Thanks for the tip. Worked great on my Roku. Was able to cast HBO Max.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 09:53 PM 11-15-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
That makes sense.
Roku casts a pretty big net, wonder why it took them so long.?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up