ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Do you enjoy going to the movies?
Yes 27 71.05%
No 11 28.95%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Media Center>Do you enjoy going to the movies?
Mephistopheles Janx 01:12 PM 11-10-2020
I don't. I'm not certain I'll ever go back to one even after Covid.

The movie theater was a magical thing for me growing up. Mostly because we were poor as shit so it was a huge treat to get to go to the movies... even if it was the 2nd run movie theater for $1.00 a ticket. Getting popcorn was awesome and we would always get the combo that allowed for the free refill. Mom always had to go to the bathroom mid-movie so she would stop and grab us new popcorn on the way back in.

At this point, though, we have massive tv's with ridiculous quality in both picture and sound. We have purpose built/designated rooms made to maximize the immersion in whatever story we decide to take in at the time. We can make our own popcorn without having to pay $35 in concessions for a family of 4.

I don't care for 3D movies. I don't find IMAX to be worth the extra dough. Stuff like the seats rumbling during certain scenes of the movie is kind of cool and adds to the immersion but I can get similar effects if I have my sound and sub tuned in properly. It certainly isn't worth the trade off of dealing with people who are talking loudly, peeking at their phones, possible kid freakout.

I keep reading about how AMC and Regal are struggling and I understand they have employees that depend on them for a job but... TBH, with Disney owning like 1/3 of the movie going experience anymore I'm really disinclined to continue spending my money at theaters. Perhaps only for shit like Marvel or some such I would still go to a theater but I've got a huge 4K tv, good sound, and a dedicated space for movies/tv. If movie houses start, or in some cases continue, to release major "theater" releases direct via streaming (at a reasonable rate) I will definitely never go to a theater again.

And I wouldn't miss it.
[Reply]
Fish 04:26 PM 11-13-2020
I used to really enjoy going to the movies. As a kid, we'd get to go to the Drive In at Salina, KS a couple times a year. I always thought that was one of the best parts of summer back then. Used to still go quite often as an adult. Especially when theaters started doing the "Pick your seat" format with fewer seats and more room. I think the last movie I saw though was the shitty Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker. Meh. I'll probably stay away until the RONA crap is over...
[Reply]
Molitoth 04:30 PM 11-13-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
My answer is No.

I much prefer watching movies at home on the 75" 4K TV with surround in my family room, mainly because it's a more immersive way for me to get into the movie.

All too often, there are people on their cell phones, which is majorly distracting, along with people bustling in and out of the theater to get concessions or to use the restroom and so on. The worst are those that just can't keep their mouths shut during the movie or constantly kick the back of my seat with their foot.

Plus, as I've mentioned several times before, $18 dollars per ticket, $4 dollars for parking and outrageous concessions have soured me on the movie going experience because it's just absolutely ridiculous to pay $60 dollars before concessions to take my kids to see an animated film that will be out on Digital (or Disney+) within 12 weeks or less.
This. All of this.
[Reply]
eDave 04:36 PM 11-13-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Since COVID started, our local theater sells popcorn to go. Good stuff.
Cool. I've been doing it for years. Just tell the ticket dude what I'm doing then give him a Mexican Hello on the way out. Don't spill that shit though. Augh!
[Reply]
KurtCobain 09:51 AM 11-16-2020
Just went to the amc in independence a couple of weeks ago. Had a nice experience.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Up