ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Media Center>The Social Dilemma
bdj23 03:27 PM 11-05-2020
I don't see a thread on this Netflix documentary. We have a few schizoposters here so I'm suprised by that.

Has anyone watched it yet? Pretty interesting and disturbing insight into big tech spying and manipulation of the internet. It pretty much confirms my point of view on non anonymous social media platforms.

Discuss further.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:19 PM 11-09-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Very important suggestion: If you ever sign up for a new service, and they offer to allow you to use your Facebook account as an account for their service? For Fuck's sake, do not do that. What happens at that point is that you give Facebook ownership of all your information on that platform. Your EULA with Facebook gives them ownership of every single post/image/video/etc that you post on any of those interrelated accounts. Keep your accounts separate!
Jesus. Facebook is the devil.

Thank god my idiot family got on there and ruined it for me.
[Reply]
Fish 07:54 PM 11-09-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Jesus. Facebook is the devil.

Thank god my idiot family got on there and ruined it for me.
Yeah. It's both fascinating and scary to realize just how well they could straight up form a demographic profile of a person and know exactly where they live/shop/play/visit/etc. They know what music/TV/media you like. What food you like and when/where you typically eat. What technology you use and exactly how/when you use it. They know who your family as, and track all that data as it anonymously correlates to you. They legally own every pic/video/etc. you have. Not just have access to. They have the legal right to use that data however they choose. They have the right to share that info with others, as long as it doesn't specifically offer certain data. As in, they build a demographic profile of your entire family and friends(kind of technically anonymous) and use that for custom personalized ads/offers/etc.

Could it be used for nefarious means? Fuck yeah. But people have voluntarily offered up this access. Do I believe they're using it for anything more that profit? No. I honestly don't, and there's never been any actual proof of that. But holy fuck if they wanted too... And I don't think people actually realize the depth of that. If you're smart about what you share and what you give access to, it can be used exactly as you want it to. That's the thing about Facebook. It's really as customizable as you want it to be. But it takes effort and you have to know how to personalize and mostly block the shit you don't want.
[Reply]
Fish 12:33 AM 11-10-2020
And then there's Google... :-)

Signing in to a new device from r/google

[Reply]
Fish 12:59 AM 11-10-2020
Another couple suggestions...

If you have used a password for an extended amount of time, you should check it against known account data theft databases. Even if you've never been told your data has been stolen. This database retains known stolen passwords that could be routinely used by hacking methods. It doesn't connect the password to any account or data or anything. It just checks to see if that password is one that would routinely be used in brute force hacking or has otherwise been marked as stolen potential:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords

Make use of the built-in Facebook Privacy Checkup:

https://www.facebook.com/help/443357099140264

Another recommendation is to view your Facebook profile as a complete stranger would see it:

On a computer, navigate to your profile. Along the menu tab in your profile, you should see a button that looks like an eye. Between "Edit Profile" and "Search." If you click that, it will show you your profile as the public would see it. This is a good way to see exactly what you're publicly displaying to complete strangers.
[Reply]
sd4chiefs 10:28 AM 11-10-2020
I watched it last night. :-) Social media is making everyone go insane except me because I only get my information from web sites that I agree with.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:32 AM 11-10-2020
I watched it, it's good to a point then they suggest the fix is basically think tanks headed by the people who created the problem they're talking about, seems a bit odd in that regard.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up