ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 40
1 234511 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The logic of drafting OT in the 1st.
Direckshun 01:23 PM 01-21-2021
What we know about this team is that it typically likes to fill its roster out as much as possible in free agency and then spend its highest picks on potential replacements for job openings a year down the road, and that includes Veach.

I doubt I even need to run down the list but:

2020: CEH --> Williams
2019: Hardman --> Hill/Watkins
2018: Speaks --> Ford/Houston
2017: Mahomes --> Smith

Fisher will be on the last year of his contract, and most of us suspect Schwartz retiring.

The Chiefs obviously like Niang but going OT 1st gives them the options:It just seems like the kind of move that gives them the flexibility in future decisions that they like to have.

I'd rather they go DE, even if it means trading up for one. But based on what we know, OT could ostensibly solve up to two different OL spots in 2021 and gives them all kinds of options in 2022 based on how 2021 goes.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:49 PM 01-21-2021
I’m not totally against it, but I’d prefer EDGE or WR.

Niang, if he’s healthy, should be Schwartz’s replacement, and Fisher will likely get an extension.

Re-sign Remmers and let him and Niang compete for RT.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 01:51 PM 01-21-2021
All about who is available to me.

If they pass on Jaelan Phillips, Toney, or Marshall to take Teven Jenkins or Alijah Vera-Tucker, I won’t be pissed, but I’d be disappointed.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 02:10 PM 01-21-2021
As I don't think you want to go into a year with a rookie left tackle being forced to protect Mahomes, I agree it's ideal to draft a tackle a year early if/when a LT is needed. That being said, I think an extension this off-season for Fisher should be a priority IF they do in fact intend to keep him long term. The issue is the compensation. Fisher simply is not worth the $20 million or so a year top left tackles are getting. If they can get him for maybe 4 years, $60 million or so I think that would be wise to go ahead and extend him to avoid the uncertainty with him entering free agency after 2021. However, if that doesn't happen then I think you're forced to take a tackle in the first 2 rounds to prepare for the possibility of someone else manning the position starting in 2022.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:21 PM 01-21-2021
Fisher isn't going anywhere. They're not going to take an OT in the 1st.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:52 PM 01-21-2021
The Chiefs aren't taking an offensive lineman in the 1st round.

This isn't 1960 or 1970 or 1980 or 1990 or 2000 or even 2010.

This is a different Chiefs team that's built on skill players and a QB, not on the offensive line, which can be fleeting at best.

How well did the Cowboys do after loading up their offensive line with 1st round picks while starting a 4th round QB?

Or how about those Browns?
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 06:21 PM 01-21-2021
I'd go up and grab a guy like Slater if he dropped far enough.
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:01 PM 01-21-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I’m not totally against it, but I’d prefer EDGE or WR.

Niang, if he’s healthy, should be Schwartz’s replacement, and Fisher will likely get an extension.

Re-sign Remmers and let him and Niang compete for RT.
Admittedly, I don't really pay a lot of attention to mock drafts anymore, not for a long time. But I happened to read a mock draft preview recently that predicted the Chiefs would probably either take an EDGE or a WR in the 1st, and maybe a OL in the 2nd/3rd.

Now, it was just one article, and I don't even remember who wrote it, so probably that guy knew as much about who KC might draft as I do.

But based on Andy's recent history, I'd be shocked if he took a OL in the 1st.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:51 PM 01-21-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

This is a different Chiefs team that's built on skill players and a QB, not on the offensive line, which can be fleeting at best.

How well did the Cowboys do after loading up their offensive line with 1st round picks while starting a 4th round QB?

I dont have a problem with it if that lineman is the BPA at that draft position.

Eric Fisher wasnt an exciting pick, but he was the right pick.
[Reply]
staylor26 08:20 PM 01-21-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
I'd go up and grab a guy like Slater if he dropped far enough.
Highly unlikely.

There’s a lot of buzz that many teams actually have Slater as OT1 over Sewell.

He’s going top 15 at least, maybe top 10.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01-21-2021, 10:28 PM
This message has been deleted by Direckshun.
Direckshun 10:28 PM 01-21-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

Eric Fisher.

I know that was under Dorsey, but it’s still the Andy Reid era.
[Reply]
kccrow 10:30 PM 01-21-2021
I have ER as the top need, followed closely by WR, and then OL (specifically RT and Center)

Now, I like Phillips, Rousseau, Oweh, Jones, and Weaver as fits on the edge. I'm not overly excited about Paye or Basham early. I'm not so sure I'd spend a 1 on Oweh. I think the kids from Miami are gone. That leaves looking the ones from Pitt, and that DL was very talented. So, who is a beneficiary and who is the difference maker? I've been a fan of Weaver but I'm unsure about round 1 with him as well. I like him more than his teammate Jones as a guy that generates his own wins.

At WR, I have Chase, Smith, Waddle, Marshall, Toney, and Stevenson as guys I like early. I think the first three go pretty early. I think we'd have a to move up a handful of slots to get Marshall. I could be a buyer on either of the other 2 but...

That kind of leaves the what you bring up at OT and I'm a big fan of keeping Mahomes breathing. I don't trust Niang enough after an opt out rookie year to lock him in. I've said all along that if Jalen Mayfield is sitting there, I'd have a really hard time passing him up. I maintain that stance. I feel like Mayfield is that Schwartz/Conklin quality of RT that you don't find many of. This is a guy that went toe-to-toe with Chase Young and pretty well shut him down. He's the only OT I'd consider round 1. So would I take Mayfield over Jones, Weaver, Toney, and Stevenson? The answer for me is a resounding yes. I have alot more faith a really good receiver is there at the end of 2 or 3 than I do a RT of Mayfield's quality. You also have the opportunity to fix two spots with one pick by kicking Niang to guard.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:34 PM 01-21-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Eric Fisher.

I know that was under Dorsey, but it’s still the Andy Reid era.
The Chiefs are not taking a guard or center in the 1st round.

Good grief.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:37 PM 01-21-2021
It's gonna be awesome to watch them use premium currency on offensive linemen only to have Patrick out there running around and people still blaming it on the offensive line.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:21 PM 01-21-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
It's gonna be awesome to watch them use premium currency on offensive linemen only to have Patrick out there running around and people still blaming it on the offensive line.
And that’s exactly what will happen because people seem to think that great lines can keep a mobile QB upright while holding their blocks for 7 or more seconds.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 40
1 234511 > Last »
Up