ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Media Center>How fucked am I?
Buehler445 08:55 AM 01-20-2021
Computer was acting laggy when I plugged it into my docking station so I shut it down. When I restarted it This is what I’ve been looking at for 45 minutes.

How fucked am I?

[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:17 AM 01-20-2021
should be ok. Give it time.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:22 AM 01-20-2021
Well, that's about the time I call my computer guru buddy. Good luck.

Seems like 45 minutes is way too long. I personally would turn it off and try again, but I don't know if that's the best course of action.
[Reply]
Fish 09:29 AM 01-20-2021
It shouldn't take that long. But give it some more time. You really don't want to power it off during a Windows repair. Bad things can happen. But if it doesn't progress any, you might have to.

It may be a sign of hard drive failure or Windows system corruption. But it may just be a little hiccup that's not really indicative of anything. Hopefully the later.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:27 AM 01-20-2021
It could take anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours. It just depends on the computer, the size of the hard drive, and several other factors.

Like Fish said, wait as long as you can and try to let it finish.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:40 AM 01-20-2021
I had some shit to do so it’s set for close to 3 hours. When I get back I’ll take a look. Thanks for the advice.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 11:52 AM 01-20-2021
Windows is pushing out a large update
[Reply]
crayzkirk 12:17 PM 01-20-2021
My computer did that; the Automatic Repair. Never recovered. You can download and burn a copy of the latest version of Windows 10 and boot from it. It will give you options to check the drive, etc. I had a few adult beverages and ended up losing patience with the whole process; it had been running for 16 hours and I said enuf. Hopefully, you have everything backed up... If not and the drive has bad sectors, just start from scratch with a new drive, get an external drive enclosure and copy the data from it once you have Windows up and running again.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:45 PM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
My computer did that; the Automatic Repair. Never recovered. You can download and burn a copy of the latest version of Windows 10 and boot from it. It will give you options to check the drive, etc. I had a few adult beverages and ended up losing patience with the whole process; it had been running for 16 hours and I said enuf. Hopefully, you have everything backed up... If not and the drive has bad sectors, just start from scratch with a new drive, get an external drive enclosure and copy the data from it once you have Windows up and running again.
Yep.

I wouldn't even boot it again at that point as you risk increasing the errors on the hard drive, making data less recoverable.

Slap a new hard drive in it, reinstall Windows, and then put the old drive in an enclosure and pull your data off of it.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 12:51 PM 01-20-2021
do all of that and use it as a business expense for tax reasons
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:57 PM 01-20-2021
So I guess all is well that ends well?

It ran on that screen for 4 hours. I forced it to shut down and upon restart appears to be working properly.

Maybe I just delayed the fucking?

Who knows.

Thanks for the help guys.
[Reply]
notorious 01:00 PM 01-20-2021
Would still top off the antifreeze just to be sure.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:05 PM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:

It ran on that screen for 4 hours. I forced it to shut down and upon restart appears to be working properly.

Who knows.

I would try to run a full diagnostic, using a boot disk like crazykirk mentioned and at least back everything up. You don't want to lose any data.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 01:11 PM 01-20-2021

Who knows.

I've had similar things happen with the Lenovo laptop I have for work.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 01:15 PM 01-20-2021

Maybe I just delayed the ****ing?

Who knows.

Back your shit up now. Could be a sign of things to come.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up