ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>**** "Expert" Mocks ****
duncan_idaho 10:10 AM 01-13-2021
I thought it might be good/fun to have a "pro" mock repository for draft nerd season.

So, I think Dane Brugler is pretty outstanding at the mock draft game. Probably the best guy available. If you have The Athletic, it's always worth reading.

Post good/interesting/funny ones you run across. I can update the OP with links and such as they come.

Dane Brugler | 1.13.21 The Athletic

Chiefs take Kadarius Toney, WR, Florida (1.32) and Dayo Odeyinbingo, DE, Vanderbilt (2.64).

Brentley Wiseman | 1.15.21 Draft Network

Chiefs take Wyatt Davis, OG, The Second State University of Ohio (1.32), Elijah Moore, WR, Ole Miss (2.64), and Walker Little, OT, Stanford(3.95).

Duncan’s Most Recent

Terrance Marshall Jr, WR, LSU (2.39), Teven Walker, OL, Oklahoma State (2.64), Dabo Odeyingbo, DE, Vanderbilt (3.73), Jabril Cox, LB, LSU (3.95), Jeremy Ruckert, TE, The Second State University of Ohio (4.128)Shaun Jolly, CB, Appy State (5.160), Josh Bell, OT, Marshall (7.222)

I’ll keep updating this as the draft nears. Love this current group but think all of these guys rise as the draft approaches.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:47 AM 01-14-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Watkins and Robinson are gone. Toney would be the instant #2 WR outside with Hardman inside and Hill on the other side.

And you're not replacing a guard. You assume that Toney can't win a starting job and then turn around and assume Davis can. Kind of a double standard, no?
I'm not sure that Robinson is gone. The Chiefs can pay him the same as this year and use their Exception so he doesn't count against the cap.

I think he's worth $2 million a year but unfortunately, they've needed him to play at a higher level than his actual ability because Watkins has so many games and when he's not missing games, he's been ineffective.

If EB gets a gig, then sure, I could see him follow him but if he's willing to come back for $2 million again, I think he's still on the roster.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:47 AM 01-14-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
I don't think Davis would have to beat out anyone, I think he'd straight up be plugged in there. I think they'll overmake the interior OL.

I woudln't be opposed to Toney or any WR I'm just not keen on it being a first rounder after we just burned a 2nd on Hardman.
Wyle is a RFA. LDT is under contract.

You really think they're just going to kick them to the 2nd string and get new guards in a year when the salary cap is tight?

They're going to need a new center if they don't resign Reiter and Schwartz may need to be replaced due to injury. I'm not sure why you'd expect them to do something at guard when they may already be changing at 2 out of the 5 positions.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:51 AM 01-14-2021
The Chiefs just need to hit on one late round offensive lineman, which is something they've done several times throughout Reid's tenure. The Patriots did it this year in Michael Onwenu and other teams have done it as well.

I'd rather see them go that route than waste a 2nd rounder on a guard or center when they should be spending those early picks on Skill guys like WR, LB, CB, S or DE, not in necessarily in that order.
[Reply]
Hoover 03:04 PM 01-14-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
The Chiefs just need to hit on one late round offensive lineman, which is something they've done several times throughout Reid's tenure. The Patriots did it this year in Michael Onwenu and other teams have done it as well.

I'd rather see them go that route than waste a 2nd rounder on a guard or center when they should be spending those early picks on Skill guys like WR, LB, CB, S or DE, not in necessarily in that order.
Yeah, but hitting on a guy like that means drafting them in the 5th, working with them for at least a year. That's been the model. Which is Allegretti IMO.

The problem with the offensive line is that we don't have Jack shit at center, and when that's the case your line sucks.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:32 PM 01-14-2021
We're gonna probably need a center. Somebody will pay Reiter more than he's worth given how good the offense is.

I wouldn't be opposed a C at the end of the 2nd or in the 3rd but I'd really prefer to focus on the high impact positions first.

I just don't think G is that huge of a need and I don't think the Chiefs do either.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:41 PM 01-14-2021
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Yeah, but hitting on a guy like that means drafting them in the 5th, working with them for at least a year. That's been the model. Which is Allegretti IMO.
Fulton was a 6th round selection that played in 16 games his rookie season due to what else? Injuries. He learned to play center, then left in free agency in which he snagged $7 million per from the Texans. He's pretty much been an Iron Man in his career, missing only 5 starts out of 112.

LDT was another 2014 6th rounder but didn't play his rookie season. He's started every game he's been healthy since 2015 and signed a huge extension a few years back.

Allegretti was a 7th rounder in 2019 that's stepped in and played well since taking over for Remmers, who was stepping in due to the injury to Osemele.

It took Fisher more than a full season to become acclimated at Left Tackle while Austin Reiter sat behind Mitch Morse until he was called upon to start in place of Morse, in which he claimed the starting Center position full time in 2019.

Considering the Chiefs have a pretty daunting cap situation in front of them in 2021, I doubt they'll be signing any offensive lineman to start in 2021, nor will they spend high draft picks on linemen when they need skill players at so many other positions, so they'll likely continue drafting guys late and signing cheap street Free Agents that can step in and provide average play if necessary.

The bottom line is that outside of a serious need at tackle, Reid likes to develop late rounders as opposed to taking some guy high in the draft and hope he's ready to start Day 1 because he doesn't want to pass on Game Changing players.
[Reply]
Hoover 04:27 PM 01-14-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Fulton was a 6th round selection that played in 16 games his rookie season due to what else? Injuries. He learned to play center, then left in free agency in which he snagged $7 million per from the Texans. He's pretty much been an Iron Man in his career, missing only 5 starts out of 112.

LDT was another 2014 6th rounder but didn't play his rookie season. He's started every game he's been healthy since 2015 and signed a huge extension a few years back.

Allegretti was a 7th rounder in 2019 that's stepped in and played well since taking over for Remmers, who was stepping in due to the injury to Osemele.

It took Fisher more than a full season to become acclimated at Left Tackle while Austin Reiter sat behind Mitch Morse until he was called upon to start in place of Morse, in which he claimed the starting Center position full time in 2019.

Considering the Chiefs have a pretty daunting cap situation in front of them in 2021, I doubt they'll be signing any offensive lineman to start in 2021, nor will they spend high draft picks on linemen when they need skill players at so many other positions, so they'll likely continue drafting guys late and signing cheap street Free Agents that can step in and provide average play if necessary.

The bottom line is that outside of a serious need at tackle, Reid likes to develop late rounders as opposed to taking some guy high in the draft and hope he's ready to start Day 1 because he doesn't want to pass on Game Changing players.
I agree with all of that, but we need a Center, so either Williams is the man after a year of seasoning, or we are going to use a high pick on one. I think its too big of need. I actually feel pretty good about G.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:28 PM 01-14-2021
Originally Posted by Hoover:
I agree with all of that, but we need a Center, so either Williams is the man after a year of seasoning, or we are going to use a high pick on one. I think its too big of need. I actually feel pretty good about G.
I completely disagree that the Chiefs need to reach for a Center but we'll see what happens in just a few short months.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 04:56 PM 01-14-2021
Where they take a C/IOL might come down to how good they feel about Darryl Williams.

If they don’t spend a day 1-2 pick on one, it’s possibly a sign they think Williams is ready to give them something solid.

Just a lot of variables. If they think Schwartz will be back and healthy, that changes the OL complexion a lot. If they trust Niang and LDT to be upgrades from 2020 options, that also shakes it up.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:13 PM 01-14-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Where they take a C/IOL might come down to how good they feel about Darryl Williams.

If they don’t spend a day 1-2 pick on one, it’s possibly a sign they think Williams is ready to give them something solid.

Just a lot of variables. If they think Schwartz will be back and healthy, that changes the OL complexion a lot. If they trust Niang and LDT to be upgrades from 2020 options, that also shakes it up.
Plus, there will be more available options next year since the 13 Tackles and 6 guards, including LDT and Niang, that opted out this season will be playing in 2021.

If there had been an additional 19 guys to choose from this season, maybe the Chiefs wouldn't have needed to get down to their 4th option at LG, RG and RT to complete the season.

It's still amazing to me that they were essentially 14-1 with one "pre-season" game while beating the Buc, Saints, Bills and Ravens - all 2020 playoff teams - in their home stadiums, along with the Dolphins and Patriots on the road.

If the Chiefs win the Super Bowl, there will be no doubt that this is the Andy Reid's greatest coaching job of his entire career, bar none.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:44 AM 01-15-2021
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles...t-weissman-4.0

Chiefs
Wyatt Davis
IOL, Ohio State

The Chiefs need to get more physical up front along the offensive line. Wyatt Davis has the athletic ability, size, and strength to be a difference-making guard from day one, and ensures that Patrick Mahomes has all of the time in the world to continue to make magic. This would be one of my favorite picks in the first round.

Chiefs
Elijah Moore
WR, Ole Miss

Chiefs
Walker Little
OT, Stanford
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:29 AM 01-15-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles...t-weissman-4.0

Chiefs
Wyatt Davis
IOL, Ohio State

The Chiefs need to get more physical up front along the offensive line. Wyatt Davis has the athletic ability, size, and strength to be a difference-making guard from day one, and ensures that Patrick Mahomes has all of the time in the world to continue to make magic. This would be one of my favorite picks in the first round.

Chiefs
Elijah Moore
WR, Ole Miss

Chiefs
Walker Little
OT, Stanford

OP updated.

Dane and Mecca are going to send him hate mail.

I think we’ll see a lot of mocks take that route. I don’t think it’s close to what KC will do.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 02:18 PM 01-15-2021
My stance is DGAF protect the Mahomes investment, if it means drafting an IOL or RB with high draft capital so be it.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:37 PM 01-15-2021
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
My stance is DGAF protect the Mahomes investment, if it means drafting an IOL or RB with high draft capital so be it.
Not in the first. Especially not this year.
[Reply]
Bowser 02:58 PM 01-15-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Not in the first. Especially not this year.
Is there a center worth taking a shot on at the end of the first round? That's the only position on o-line I would consider grabbing if the value is right.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up