ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Media Center>RAM Latency: C15 vs. C16 fir Intel chip. Do you think it matters in gaming?
vailpass 04:46 PM 01-03-2021
After doing some research on the inter webs my understanding at the moment is there will not be an appreciable difference in gaming performance between RAM with a latency of C15 and C16, especially since I’m using Intel as listed below.

Do any of you confirm or deny this? Do you have any likes/dislikes/preferences regarding RAM?

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 CAS 16
i7 10700
RTX 3080 if they ever start selling them again
[Reply]
TambaBerry 08:02 AM 01-20-2021
I could only get it to 2666 stable, I run memtest for a few hours and it comes up with errors. I've tried upping the voltage slightly and using the increased speed but it does the same thing. I'm not too worried about it though games seem to play just fine.
[Reply]
hometeam 08:09 AM 01-20-2021
so you have an XMP profile on correct? Your not just ramping up the speed and leaving the timings unchanged are you?
[Reply]
TambaBerry 08:26 AM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by hometeam:
so you have an XMP profile on correct? Your not just ramping up the speed and leaving the timings unchanged are you?
It has been a while but I found a video about how to OC ram and followed it step by step doing the things they suggested to do to try to get it stable. Right now I have the xmp profile on yes
[Reply]
hometeam 09:15 AM 01-21-2021
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
It has been a while but I found a video about how to OC ram and followed it step by step doing the things they suggested to do to try to get it stable. Right now I have the xmp profile on yes

so if you turn on the XMP profile, but dont touch anything else, is it stable?

If your not using a samsung b-die chip, then overclocking speedwise is going to be tough. Truly, the advertised speed is about all you are going to get out of most chips, and if you CAN get more out of them, they are marketed as such and are going to pay about double for a higher quality silicon kit. As I said before, ram speed is not as important to performance as timings, and harder to get stable. Thats not to mention other factors like power supply quality, motherboard you are using, and the quality of the CPU you are using.

The way silicon works, no part is ever 'exactly' the same, so dont fret if you cant get some super big OC or something on your ram, especially when performance wise its not going to net you a ton of gains outside of benchmarks.

good luck!
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:34 AM 01-21-2021
so if you turn on the XMP profile, but dont touch anything else, is it stable?

If your not using a samsung b-die chip, then overclocking speedwise is going to be tough. Truly, the advertised speed is about all you are going to get out of most chips, and if you CAN get more out of them, they are marketed as such and are going to pay about double for a higher quality silicon kit. As I said before, ram speed is not as important to performance as timings, and harder to get stable. Thats not to mention other factors like power supply quality, motherboard you are using, and the quality of the CPU you are using.

The way silicon works, no part is ever 'exactly' the same, so dont fret if you cant get some super big OC or something on your ram, especially when performance wise its not going to net you a ton of gains outside of benchmarks.

good luck!
this
[Reply]
vailpass 02:54 PM 01-21-2021

[Reply]
hometeam 12:14 AM 01-25-2021
So to go with this thread, I have some similar experience from today.

5900x came in the mail, already had my x570 tomahawk and a brand new 4x8 kit of skill trident neo 3600 cl18. This is samsung b-die, nice ram.

Put the 5900x/x570 board and the new memory into my current rig (3090FE, seasonic 850w gold , x72 kraken etc)

I COULDNT EVEN GET IT TO BE STABLE AT THE FREAKIN XMP 3600 cl18!

Thats how touchy this crap is, I can only get it stable at 3450hz, so dont take it personally, even with all top of the line shit, memory doesnt want to run fast without a bunch of massaging
[Reply]
vailpass 05:15 PM 01-25-2021
So to go with this thread, I have some similar experience from today.

5900x came in the mail, already had my x570 tomahawk and a brand new 4x8 kit of skill trident neo 3600 cl18. This is samsung b-die, nice ram.

Put the 5900x/x570 board and the new memory into my current rig (3090FE, seasonic 850w gold , x72 kraken etc)

I COULDNT EVEN GET IT TO BE STABLE AT THE FREAKIN XMP 3600 cl18!

Thats how touchy this crap is, I can only get it stable at 3450hz, so dont take it personally, even with all top of the line shit, memory doesnt want to run fast without a bunch of massaging
What are the symptoms that indicate unstable ram? How do you know it’s unstable?
[Reply]
hometeam 11:00 PM 01-28-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
What are the symptoms that indicate unstable ram? How do you know it’s unstable?
So.. unstable ram does.. weird shit. Just think of it as doing tons of weird glitchy stuff.

Random screen flashes. Random weird 'hiccups' in the entire PC, games or programs crashing with all numbers of errors, usually within seconds. Random BSODs especially when trying to do things like launch games or chrome or other ram intensive apps. And typically its kind of going to do all of this stuff, so its in easy set of symptoms to pick out.
[Reply]
vailpass 04:19 PM 01-29-2021
So.. unstable ram does.. weird shit. Just think of it as doing tons of weird glitchy stuff.

Random screen flashes. Random weird 'hiccups' in the entire PC, games or programs crashing with all numbers of errors, usually within seconds. Random BSODs especially when trying to do things like launch games or chrome or other ram intensive apps. And typically its kind of going to do all of this stuff, so its in easy set of symptoms to pick out.
:-) Thanks, I did not know that.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up