ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 11
« First < 7891011
Nzoner's Game Room>The Chop is Changing... Barely
Pointer19 07:00 PM 09-09-2020
I know there was a thread about face paint, headdresses, and Warpaint, but here’s an update on the Chop.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/sp...245608310.html

Originally Posted by :

Native Americans will bless the big ceremonial drum like always, and before the drumbeat starts an announcement will be made that incorporating the drum into the game-day experience is a “privilege” and that fans are invited to join as they beat the drum.

The cheerleaders will then do the same chop motion, but with a closed fist instead of open palm. You know, signaling the beating of the drum.

[Reply]
redfan 10:17 AM 01-27-2021
Did real Native Americans ever have a chant/battle cry that sounded like "the chop"? If so, I could see the point of cultural appropriation. I'm not enough of a historian to know. To me, it sounds like something somebody imagined what a war cry would sound like, with no historical connotation. I've never been a fan of the chop, only because it was an FSU thing and I felt the Chiefs should have something original. If a bunch of folks want to chant something some other folks made up, more power to them. I used to do it when I was a youngster, but I haven't in many, many years. Maybe I outgrew it, idk.
I'm not of Native American descent. None of my NA friends (3) have a problem with it (we've discussed it), but clearly some do. Change it to appease the minority? Are they even the minority? Is the word chief bad now? Big brain sports questions!
[Reply]
Page 11 of 11
« First < 7891011
Up