ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 106 of 237
« First < 65696102103104105106 107108109110116156206 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***** Official 2016/2017 Kansas Basketball Repository Thread *****
saphojunkie 12:22 PM 04-07-2016
Now with 800% more crapshoot!

Roster:

Spoiler!

SCHEDULE

Spoiler!

Notable dates:

Late Night in the Phog
Oct 1 6:30 PM
Allen Fieldhouse
Students enter at 4:30PM, general public at 5:00 PM

Champions Classic:
Nov 15, 2016 - Madison Square Garden. KU vs. Duke

CBE Hall of Fame Classic:
semis & finals at Sprint Center in KC.
Nov 21 - 22 (early games date & time ).

Armed Forces Classic
Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickham, Hawai`i: Nov. 11 (ESPN)
Indiana vs. Kansas
Arizona vs. Michigan State

BIG 12/SEC CHALLENGE
Kansas vs. Kentucky
Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY
Jan 28, 2017

Let's go get Lucky 13. And a damn National Championship.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 07:24 PM 02-03-2017
I've missed rust and his level of stupidity! Welcome back bud.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 09:44 PM 02-03-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
It's a tough row to hoe since the team is so goddamned thin, especially down low.
It is. Self basically only has five players total he can actually trust this year and they play almost the entirety of every game. Hard to expect much intensity defensively when you don't have any subs. Of course, that's another reason to implement a zone more (as he did in the UK game).

Originally Posted by :
I think KU can get a few minutes of rotation with Lightfoot and Lucas in there together where you can allow Lightfoot to be a pain in the ass in the full court like they did with Kevin Young. I don't know if Lightfoot is that heady of a player, but he seems to be able to make those opponent-frustrating hustle plays that Young used to pull in the half court. Maybe it is just 5 minutes of token pressure with one trap, but if you can get a possession out of it and not give up any transition points, it can turn out to be a big deal. And unfortunately, that's why Lightfoot and Lucas have to be in there together, someone has to be able to adequately defend the post in transition if the press is broken.
Don't know whether Lightfoot can handle rotation minutes at this level right now, but you might as well give it a shot. They've got literally nobody else and Lucas will get in foul trouble more often than not on the road.

Originally Posted by :
Self is obviously schematically better than I am, but I wouldn't mind seeing some of those things come out in some games in case we need them in the tournament. I normally sit right with you and beat the effort drum, but as thin as this team is, it may not be in the cards. You'd like to see the effort early, and against crappy teams, run up a big lead, and sit the vital guys for 10 minutes a game, but it never seems to happen.
Problem is there are no crappy teams in the B12. Nearly every game this team will play until the end of the season projects to be within 10 points or so, even the home ones (which is very rare)

Originally Posted by :
RE: winning it all. This might be a different year for us. It is often discussed in here that it takes good guard play in March to win in April, and Self relies too much on post production to win. Well, we can put that to the test. Obviously, guards can still lay eggs *cough*COLLINS*cough*, but this team is set up more to win like the teams that drive the guard conversation. Vick's shot has fallen off, but pretty much you have to defend this team for 50 feet. Plus we are getting production from several different guys. You'd like to see a little more from Svi and Vick, but you've got 3 starters that can get in the lane consistently, Mason is our guy that gets a bucket when you have to have one. I'm not sure you can lean on Lucas if the shots aren't falling, but this team is the anti-Self team that guys in here complain about needing guard play to win.
It's certainly unlike any Self team I've ever seen. Still think they are much too easy to score on, though, and it's hard to see that changing all that much without a real rim protector and without any bench at all.
[Reply]
BWillie 09:59 PM 02-03-2017
All I know is KU is going to absolutely murder Iowa State tomorrow. I've been telling people all year that ISU is not as good as everyone thought they would be this year (Top 20). They do try to defend now, though. So there's that.
[Reply]
KCTitus 11:52 PM 02-03-2017
Originally Posted by RustShack:
Classic Kansas.
This much is true...winning in Ames is pretty much back to normal. Sorry that you missed out on your SB win. I look forward to seeing your team lifting the NCAA championship trophy in April, because we know this is the year.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 12:31 AM 02-04-2017
Rusty!!!! Welcome back buddy.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 12:32 AM 02-04-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
:-)

Boo?
You didn't Boo long enough. It's booooooooooo, oooooo,oooooo!
[Reply]
excessive 08:10 AM 02-04-2017
KC Star doubling down on rumor and speculation, suggesting KU, HCBS, and police involved in cover up.

EDITORIALS
FEBRUARY 3, 2017 4:38 PM
Editorial: Revelations raise questions about KU, Self

Rich Sugg rsugg@kcstar.com
By The Kansas City Star editorial board

When Jayhawks basketball coach Bill Self euphemistically described a two-week stretch that has been marred by police investigations and troubling revelations about Kansas players as a “unique last short period of time,” KU fans hoped this period truly would be unique and short. And the last time, for that matter.

But unfortunately, it doesn’t look like any of those words really apply to recent disclosures involving the school’s basketball program.

Until we know more, it’s hard to understand why being caught with a bong or some other drug paraphernalia gets you suspended, but an investigation that concludes you likely hit and kicked a woman in an instance of domestic violence yields no public suspension.

Nor did a police investigation into almost $3,000 in damage to the same female student’s car appear to have occasioned any action by Self or KU other than hushing up the fact that two players are people of interest in that probe.

To recap recent disturbing events: On Monday, The Star reported that a KU investigation had found that sophomore Lagerald Vick likely hit a female student on the arm repeatedly and kicked her in the face in 2015. Investigators recommended two years of school probation.

But did that ever happen?

Schools love to hide their problems behind privacy laws, and KU isn’t saying.

Self offered only this prepared statement: “I have been told that I cannot comment on a university investigation, or whether one is or is not taking place or has ever taken place, OK? And due to previous practices by the university and by the athletic department, I would not be giving any details of such investigation. So what was reported was reported. I haven’t been made aware of anything. So that’s where that is, and that’s the last time and the only thing that I will say concerning that, because I (have) basically been told that’s all that can be said.”

It’s hard to believe that Self really had not “been made aware of anything.” But if that’s the case, maybe he should check in with Jim Marchiony, the KU spokesman who as The Star reported on Thursday, said school officials did know that Vick and star freshman Josh Jackson were involved in the investigation into the December report of vandalism, which occurred outside a Lawrence bar.

We do know that sophomore Carlton Bragg has been charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and that there’s an ongoing investigation of an alleged rape in McCarthy Hall, where the team lives, along with other students.

But what we most need to know is whether violence against women is taken seriously, no matter how the team is doing or how much the Jayhawks need every player.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/ed...#storylink=cpy
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 09:11 AM 02-04-2017
Wow that's a fairly blatant accusatory piece.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 09:38 AM 02-04-2017
Originally Posted by fahrenheit:
Wow that's a fairly blatant accusatory piece.
What pisses me off is the way the Star is ignoring the word "likely" and basically reporting the assault as if it absolutely happened. The Title IX investigation states it "likely" happened, which means there isn't any actual proof, but only circumstantial evidence. Obviously, Title IX has a different burden of proof than the LPD. Because if it happened on campus, the LPD had to be informed, and if there was proof it occurred then Vick would have been charged. I say that the LPD had to be informed because my daughter goes to NWMST and any incident of assault or violence involving a female student has to be reported to the Maryville police department. That may also be the case for male students, but I can't say for sure.

Bragg was charged, and therefore he was suspended. Vick was not charged, and therefore wasn't suspended. Seems cut and dried to me.

But having said all that, Vick has to go. I wouldn't be surprised if he "decides" to transfer after the season.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
sedated 10:20 AM 02-04-2017
Topeka Capital Journal pretty much blows up the Star's vandalism article:

http://cjonline.com/sports/hawkzone/...ndalism-report
[Reply]
BWillie 11:04 AM 02-04-2017
Originally Posted by excessive:
KC Star doubling down on rumor and speculation, suggesting KU, HCBS, and police involved in cover up.

EDITORIALS
FEBRUARY 3, 2017 4:38 PM
Editorial: Revelations raise questions about KU, Self

Rich Sugg rsugg@kcstar.com
By The Kansas City Star editorial board

When Jayhawks basketball coach Bill Self euphemistically described a two-week stretch that has been marred by police investigations and troubling revelations about Kansas players as a “unique last short period of time,” KU fans hoped this period truly would be unique and short. And the last time, for that matter.

But unfortunately, it doesn’t look like any of those words really apply to recent disclosures involving the school’s basketball program.

Until we know more, it’s hard to understand why being caught with a bong or some other drug paraphernalia gets you suspended, but an investigation that concludes you likely hit and kicked a woman in an instance of domestic violence yields no public suspension.

Nor did a police investigation into almost $3,000 in damage to the same female student’s car appear to have occasioned any action by Self or KU other than hushing up the fact that two players are people of interest in that probe.

To recap recent disturbing events: On Monday, The Star reported that a KU investigation had found that sophomore Lagerald Vick likely hit a female student on the arm repeatedly and kicked her in the face in 2015. Investigators recommended two years of school probation.

But did that ever happen?

Schools love to hide their problems behind privacy laws, and KU isn’t saying.

Self offered only this prepared statement: “I have been told that I cannot comment on a university investigation, or whether one is or is not taking place or has ever taken place, OK? And due to previous practices by the university and by the athletic department, I would not be giving any details of such investigation. So what was reported was reported. I haven’t been made aware of anything. So that’s where that is, and that’s the last time and the only thing that I will say concerning that, because I (have) basically been told that’s all that can be said.”

It’s hard to believe that Self really had not “been made aware of anything.” But if that’s the case, maybe he should check in with Jim Marchiony, the KU spokesman who as The Star reported on Thursday, said school officials did know that Vick and star freshman Josh Jackson were involved in the investigation into the December report of vandalism, which occurred outside a Lawrence bar.

We do know that sophomore Carlton Bragg has been charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and that there’s an ongoing investigation of an alleged rape in McCarthy Hall, where the team lives, along with other students.

But what we most need to know is whether violence against women is taken seriously, no matter how the team is doing or how much the Jayhawks need every player.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/ed...#storylink=cpy
Jesus christ. What is wrong w/ the Star? Unreal. Key differences. Bragg was charged AND even accepted a diversion. So clearly there is no dispute and he was disciplined. Bragg was ARRESTED in the Soofi assault case. He was then suspended even for something he didn't do shown by irrefutable evidence.

Vick wasn't arrested, charged with anything. It is a Title 9 investigation that focuses on privacy. Those investigations are not a preponderance of evidence or reasonable doubt. Basically if they think he might have done it, that's all it takes. Those investigations are not done by trained authorities or in a court of law. Really, I don't even understand the point of them in the 1st place. EVERY large school has Title 9 and they really do a disservice to the victims based on what I've read. Every single accusation of a crime should go through the police but that is another issue in itself.

Even worse, Vick and Jackson were apparently advised to be persons of interest to the Star by an anonymous male who is not affiliated with the police department. The Lawrence PD even denies they are person's of interest. KC Star runs the story anyway. This really is something.
[Reply]
O.city 01:47 PM 02-04-2017
So, whats going on with Bragg now? Any idea how long this suspension will last?
[Reply]
Pants 01:51 PM 02-04-2017
Originally Posted by O.city:
So, whats going on with Bragg now? Any idea how long this suspension will last?
He's on diversion for having a bong. I'm sure Self will start playing him soon. It will be the usual "Carlton has shown that he's learned from this experience and so and so forth..."

The Star has done an awful job with all of this. Yellow journalism from a respected paper. :-)
[Reply]
PHOG 01:54 PM 02-04-2017
14 pt. half-time lead vs. ISU :-)
[Reply]
BWillie 01:59 PM 02-04-2017
I told you we would blow these clowns out. At one point the rebounding disparity was 17 to 1, KU.
[Reply]
Page 106 of 237
« First < 65696102103104105106 107108109110116156206 > Last »
Up