ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Media Center>Printer advice
007 02:03 AM 08-21-2019
I'm looking into replacing my old Brother all in one wifi printer. The thing doesn't print when any one of the four colors run out of ink. To be honest, I only need monochrome as printing in color is a waste of time for what we use it for.

While I liked the printer at first, I found the drivers to be a tremendous strain on any PC I installed it on. Caused slow boot up times. The android app sucks as well.

What printers have you found that have reasonable ink prices and just plain work. I'd still like an all in one for scanning and copying and love being connect via a phone app and isn't a Brother.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:41 PM 08-21-2019
Fuck printers.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:43 PM 08-21-2019
I got an HP laser one from staples a few years ago. I decided to spend some money on it and try to keep myself off the bottom end stuff.

It’s fine.

But goddamn printers are invariably harder than they should be.
[Reply]
Fish 01:58 PM 08-21-2019
I have to deal with lots of different printers. They're all a pain in the ass. There's really not any single model or even a single manufacturer I'd recommend as being much more dependable than others. HP used to be my first recommendation, but their quality has went downhill quite a bit over the last decade.

How much do you print? If you can get over the initial price point, I'd recommend looking at some of the cheaper laserjet printers instead of an inkjet. Inkjet printers are pretty much disposable pieces of shit these days.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 10:10 AM 08-22-2019
Printers these days are shit. The quality really has gone downhill. I've had three that won't feed the paper for shit. Ink cartridges are expensive, and run out extremely quickly. Fish is right, look into laserjets, but be careful there too, because a lot of them are shit, too.

HP used to be good. Now they are shit.

I hope someone has a good answer for you in this thread, because I'd love to hear that someone is making good printers.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:32 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
How much do you print? If you can get over the initial price point, I'd recommend looking at some of the cheaper laserjet printers instead of an inkjet. Inkjet printers are pretty much disposable pieces of shit these days.
Yeah, that's the biggest thing in my opinion. People print so rarely these days that inkjet cartridges tend to dry out well before they're empty. Lasers are a lot better at that.

I've always had decent luck with Brother lasers for basic home use. It's been years since I bought one (mine's lasted 5+ years now), but here's a black-and-white version, and here's a color version just to give you the idea.
[Reply]
eDave 10:49 AM 08-22-2019
FedEx/Kinko's. But I rarely print much.
[Reply]
lcarus 02:08 PM 08-22-2019
I use a Sawgrass Virtuoso SG400 sublimation printer at my work and it's pretty good. But that's a $500-$600 sublimation printer so it doesn't really apply to this.
[Reply]
Sorry 03:59 PM 08-22-2019
get a LASER monochrome printer that takes the toner Brother TN730 *standard yield ~1300 pages or TN760 high yield ~3000 pages. Prob find a printer around 130-180 price range that will have decent speeds w/ auto feeder/copy/scan/fax/wireless
[Reply]
Sorry 04:01 PM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Yeah, that's the biggest thing in my opinion. People print so rarely these days that inkjet cartridges tend to dry out well before they're empty. Lasers are a lot better at that.

I've always had decent luck with Brother lasers for basic home use. It's been years since I bought one (mine's lasted 5+ years now), but here's a black-and-white version, and here's a color version just to give you the idea.
it's because of the pores on the ink carts either get blocked up from lack of use or the ink *liquid* hardens over time and doesn't function properly. A laser printer uses powder like substances and is also applied differently when printing.
[Reply]
ModSocks 04:22 PM 08-22-2019
I use two printers in the office, a Brother HL-2280DW Laserjet. Works great. Never ever had a problem with it and ive been using for at least 2+ years now. Maybe 3+, not sure.

Then i also have Cannon G4210.

I would highly recommend the cannon as well if you plan on printing in color. It uses re-fillable ink tanks that last substantially longer than ink cartridges. I've had it for over a year now and have not yet needed to refill the ink tanks. I use it to print our flyers, instructions etc here at the shop. Could not be happier with it.

When buying a printer, understand that printers themselves are cheap and relatively disposable. It's the ink that makes all the $$$.

With the Cannon, you get a true long lasting color printer, and when you need to refill the ink, the ink bottles are a helluva lot cheaper than cartridges.

I mean, if you plan on going color you simply have to buy an Ink-Tank type printer. They're soooo much better that buying any other color-ink printer is just flat dumb.

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-PIXMA-G...gateway&sr=8-2
[Reply]
Sorry 05:51 PM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I use two printers in the office, a Brother HL-2280DW Laserjet. Works great. Never ever had a problem with it and ive been using for at least 2+ years now. Maybe 3+, not sure.

I would highly recommend the cannon as well if you plan on printing in color. It uses re-fillable ink tanks that last substantially longer than ink cartridges. I've had it for over a year now and have not yet needed to refill the ink tanks. I use it to print our flyers, instructions etc here at the shop. Could not be happier with it.

When buying a printer, understand that printers themselves are cheap and relatively disposable. It's the ink that makes all the $$$.

With the Cannon, you get a true long lasting color printer, and when you need to refill the ink, the ink bottles are a helluva lot cheaper than cartridges.

I mean, if you plan on going color you simply have to buy an Ink-Tank type printer. They're soooo much better that buying any other color-ink printer is just flat dumb.

Epson also has that refillable bottles which is a great deal.
[Reply]
007 10:35 PM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by Detoxing:

My biggest issues with these printers is the fact I don't print in color. But when the color dries out I have to replace it just to continue printing in black. Its pure crap.
[Reply]
scho63 03:28 AM 08-23-2019
Originally Posted by 007:
I'm looking into replacing my old Brother all in one wifi printer. The thing doesn't print when any one of the four colors run out of ink. To be honest, I only need monochrome as printing in color is a waste of time for what we use it for.

While I liked the printer at first, I found the drivers to be a tremendous strain on any PC I installed it on. Caused slow boot up times. The android app sucks as well.

What printers have you found that have reasonable ink prices and just plain work. I'd still like an all in one for scanning and copying and love being connect via a phone app and isn't a Brother.
You forget to mention the MOST IMPORTANT items in your request: How often do you print and is it mostly B/W or color? Also what items are you printing, high quality or random things?

Those two answers will then give you the best solution. :-)
[Reply]
007 03:52 AM 08-23-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:
You forget to mention the MOST IMPORTANT items in your request: How often do you print and is it mostly B/W or color? Also what items are you printing, high quality or random things?

Those two answers will then give you the best solution. :-)
My first sentence answers your first question. I only need Black and white.

As far as the rest, we only use it for scanning documents and printing out my kids homework assignments. Standard quality.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up