ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Media Center>Netflix: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance
Sure-Oz 10:33 AM 05-30-2019
Wow. They really nailed this prequel series. Just watched the movie the other day.

https://youtu.be/zSV42j8lccg
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 12:03 PM 05-30-2019
That looks pretty amazing.

Was never a big fan of the original movie. Admired the artistry on display, but thought the movie was boring.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 12:56 PM 05-30-2019
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
That looks pretty amazing.

Was never a big fan of the original movie. Admired the artistry on display, but thought the movie was boring.
This looks like it will be much better and entertaining. I heard the original was nightmare fuel for kids but didn't see it till recently on Netflix. The movie was slow for sure.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 10:06 AM 08-30-2019
Haven’t watched, but noticed this dropped on Netflix.
[Reply]
listopencil 10:24 AM 08-30-2019
Tried to watch the first episode. Annoyed me right off the bat with an expositionary voice over. I hate those. I consider it to be a lazy storytelling device. And it felt like the thing went on for 15 minutes. When it finally got into the actual story, the dialogue was shit and the voice acting was bland. I managed to make it 45 minutes into the first episode and had to turn it off. Played like third rate Young Adult garbage. Probably a great show if you're a 5 to 8 year old kid.
[Reply]
keg in kc 11:19 AM 08-30-2019
Yeah, I saw a review last night that said it was YA so I decided to watch Carnival Row first.

Carnival Row has had mixed reviews, but I just finished the first ep and liked it.
[Reply]
Third Eye 11:41 PM 09-02-2019
3 episodes in and I love it. Played on my phone during the 1st episode, but the next two have drawn me in.
[Reply]
listopencil 01:51 AM 09-03-2019
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Yeah, I saw a review last night that said it was YA so I decided to watch Carnival Row first.

Carnival Row has had mixed reviews, but I just finished the first ep and liked it.
Same here.
[Reply]
Third Eye 02:33 PM 09-07-2019
This show was fucking awesome. If you haven’t watched it yet because you’re afraid it looks too kiddie, you need to get over that. This is good fantasy.
[Reply]
stumppy 03:29 PM 09-07-2019
Grandkids are loving it.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 05:06 PM 09-07-2019
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Tried to watch the first episode. Annoyed me right off the bat with an expositionary voice over. I hate those. I consider it to be a lazy storytelling device. And it felt like the thing went on for 15 minutes. When it finally got into the actual story, the dialogue was shit and the voice acting was bland. I managed to make it 45 minutes into the first episode and had to turn it off. Played like third rate Young Adult garbage. Probably a great show if you're a 5 to 8 year old kid.
I was a fan of the movie as a kid.

I haven't watched it yet, but I know what I"m getting.

It's the type of thing that SHOULD be enjoyable for all ages. As an adult you should walk in knowing it's made for kids. Jim Henson (and his company) isn't known for gritty noir thrillers or anything.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 05:07 PM 09-07-2019
Originally Posted by Sure-Oz:
This looks like it will be much better and entertaining. I heard the original was nightmare fuel for kids but didn't see it till recently on Netflix. The movie was slow for sure.
Nightmare fuel?

Shit man when I was a kid that and the Neverending story were my favorite movies.

About 8 years ago I tried to get a young kid (around 8 yrs old) to watch them. They had to stop. When artex drowned in the swamp of sadness (neverending story) this poor kid LOST HER SHIT. Uncontrollable sobbing.

Kid's movies were ****ing dark in the 80's. It never caused me to flinch. I didn't realize it until I got older and saw the kids movies for today. They're... softer. Less willing to confront children with reality.
[Reply]
listopencil 06:16 PM 09-07-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
I was a fan of the movie as a kid.

I haven't watched it yet, but I know what I"m getting.

It's the type of thing that SHOULD be enjoyable for all ages. As an adult you should walk in knowing it's made for kids. Jim Henson (and his company) isn't known for gritty noir thrillers or anything.

No, it's not the genre. It's just comparatively poorly done.
[Reply]
Third Eye 06:17 PM 09-07-2019
Originally Posted by listopencil:
No, it's not the genre. It's just comparatively poorly done.
It’s incredibly well done, and that’s hardly just my opinion.

Edit: okay, in hindsight this may be about the original movie and not the current series. The current series is incredibly well done. The original was creative, unique, and had a great score, but I wouldn’t argue that it was a cinematic achievement of any kind. I certainly was the right age and right type for it to be an instant classic with me though.
[Reply]
keg in kc 06:20 PM 09-07-2019
I loved it when i was a kid, but I can't remember the last time I watched it.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up