ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Go for it on 4th on EVERY possesion
jjjayb 03:04 PM 10-13-2019
Hear me out. Or defense consistently lets teams drive down the field chewing up clock. Sometimes we hold them once they get into the red zone, sometimes we let them score. It's not often we force them to punt. Either way, they chew up a bunch of clock and grind it down the field. We've consistently shown that we don't force many 3 and outs. Teams have no problem driving down the field on us.

Why not just go for it on 4th down every time? Give our offense more chances to keep the drive alive and try to score. The worst thing that happens is we give the other team great field possession. We've seen with this defense field position doesn't matter.
[Reply]
FringeNC 03:20 PM 10-13-2019
If the offense ever gets healthy, and the line can actually block, only in extremely rare situations should we punt. Andy will never play that way, but it would maximize our win chance. I see a lot more reason to be optimistic that the offense will return to form than I do the D becoming respectable. Just doesn't really appear to be any talent outside of Chris Jones.
[Reply]
jjjayb 05:56 PM 10-13-2019
Texans drives:

1st half

1st drive - fumble on the first play.
2nd drive - 12 plays 49 yards 4:33 off the clock for a field goal.
3rd drive - 10 plays 75 yards 4:13 off the clock for a field goal.
4th drive 12 plays 80 yards 5:36 off the clock for a touchdown.
5th drive 7 plays 15 yards interception
6th drive 1 play for 3 yards for a touchdown.

2nd half

10 plays 47 yards 4:05 off the clock for a missed field goal.
12 plays 103 yards 8:32 off the clock for a touchdown.
9 plays 42 yards 5:03 off the clock to end the game.

The only time we kept them on their end of the Field was their first drive when they fumbled. EVERY other possession they made it easily deep into our territory. We could not stop them from moving the ball at will.

Going for it on 4th down every time couldn't have possibly hurt the Chiefs. There was only upside there. I seriously would do this if I were Andy Reid. Hell, if they didn't change the kickoff rules to make onsides kicks harder, I'd say to onside kick it every time you scored too.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 05:58 PM 10-13-2019
Teams like us should have been doing this strategy years ago, but no NFL coach ever will.
[Reply]
Giant Octopodes 07:00 PM 10-13-2019
If I could post links I'd post the story of the High School football coach who never punts, with phenomenal success. Analytics say it's right to go for it on Most situations, I would link that too if I could. The TLDR version is that you should go for it on any situation where there's 4 yards or less to gain, and you're at your own 40 or further. Between 30 and 50 yards to go, it's correct to go for it basically regardless of the distance to gain. At the 40, even with 10 yards to go, it's better to go for it than to punt.

Teams play scared, and play not to get embarrassed more than they play to win when it comes to 4th down decisions. I wouldn't agree with going for it on Every 4th down, but it should be happening WAY more often than it currently is.
[Reply]
tate2133 09:29 PM 10-13-2019
Right now, the only thing punting is doing for us is limiting our offensive possesions (which puts us out of rhythm) and making the defense more tired with all the extended drives, which makes it harder to come up with a few stops we may need. It's against the grain, but it's the absolute correct strategy. This would also loosen up the opponent's defense as they wouldn't be as rested.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:39 PM 10-13-2019
Any time we’re even close to mid field it feels like we should
[Reply]
lcarus 10:26 PM 10-13-2019
I knew when we punted with 5:30 left it was over. I mean we were deep in our own territory and it was 4th and long so our options were limited. But i knew we wouldn't see the ball again.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:49 PM 10-13-2019
BUT YOU WILL LOSE TIME OF POSESSION /morons in my other thread.
[Reply]
scho63 10:55 PM 10-13-2019
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
Colquitt leg appears to be healed. 68 yarder my god
I've been real critical of the guy but that was a bomb that was wasted on our shit defense. :-)
[Reply]
Giant Octopodes 10:56 PM 10-13-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
BUT YOU WILL LOSE TIME OF POSESSION /morons in my other thread.
huh? How would that even remotely work out?

If you are on 4th down, and go for it, at least some percentage of the time you'll make it. That percentage of the time, you will have a longer drive than you otherwise would have had, and increase your time of possession.

If you are on 4th down, and fail to convert, as far as time of possession it's exactly the same as if you punted or went for a field goal. No matter what, the other team has the ball immediately thereafter.

Moreover, since the other team in those circumstances starts with a better field position, they are more likely to have a shorter drive, and thus even if it's a negative event from a net points perspective, it's actually if anything likely an improvement in time of possession over punting.

So really, no matter what, Time of Possession benefits, or at worst is not harmed by, going for it on 4th down. Maybe, just a suggestion here, you should not call others morons, or at least, if you are going to do so, you shouldn't do so while making a wildly incorrect statement that reflects poorly on your logic and reasoning abilities.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:01 PM 10-13-2019
Originally Posted by Giant Octopodes:
huh? How would that even remotely work out?

If you are on 4th down, and go for it, at least some percentage of the time you'll make it. That percentage of the time, you will have a longer drive than you otherwise would have had, and increase your time of possession.

If you are on 4th down, and fail to convert, as far as time of possession it's exactly the same as if you punted or went for a field goal. No matter what, the other team has the ball immediately thereafter.

Moreover, since the other team in those circumstances starts with a better field position, they are more likely to have a shorter drive, and thus even if it's a negative event from a net points perspective, it's actually if anything likely an improvement in time of possession over punting.

So really, no matter what, Time of Possession benefits, or at worst is not harmed by, going for it on 4th down. Maybe, just a suggestion here, you should not call others morons, or at least, if you are going to do so, you shouldn't do so while making a wildly incorrect statement that reflects poorly on your logic and reasoning abilities.
I don’t know how to make it more obvious I was being sarcastic.

You dense fuck.

Further, I couldn’t care less what it would do to TOP. I would only be interested in how it would affect stops and scores. Because TOP doesn’t cause wins. For the love of God.
[Reply]
Giant Octopodes 11:16 PM 10-13-2019

You dense ****.

Further, I couldn’t care less what it would do to TOP. I would only be interested in how it would affect stops and scores. Because TOP doesn’t cause wins. For the love of God.
Typically, when trying to impart an emotion into text, the best way to do so is with the use of emojis. Because, as you have clearly failed to realize, you aren't recording your voice or body language, and text is a terrible vehicle for sarcasm, so instead you just come across as a moron :-). You stupid, illiterate, clueless **** :-) . If you want to incorrectly argue TOP and make yourself look worse in the process, do so in your own thread. If you don't care what this would do to TOP, maybe don't bring it up? If you care what it would do to stops and scores, maybe actually argue that instead of just drooling over your keyboard?
[Reply]
13and3 01:04 PM 10-14-2019
Seems like every team we play is in 4 down mode. How can you compete when we are only usually using 3 downs on offense? Every team we play is in maximum points score mode and possession mode. This has been going on since the chargers didn't want to give the ball back at arrowhead last year and rather than tying the game they went for the all or nothing proposition of the go ahead 2 point conversion. All of our losses have come from teams sustaining drives on 4th down conversions and not just 4th quarter drives they are doing it all game. We have to match that willingness. We can't stop most teams offense for 4 downs but most teams defense can't stop our offense for 4 downs either
[Reply]
Chieftain 01:08 PM 10-14-2019
Great idea. Agree 100%.
[Reply]
lcarus 01:30 PM 10-14-2019

You dense fuck.

TOP is just a symptom of the historically bad run defense. Of course teams are going to try to bleed the clock when the game is close and we have Patrick Mahomes waiting to get the ball on the sidelines. Our defense just needs to get stops. You're correct. They continually cannot get stops and teams just bleed that clock and we have games like the Texans where we have 3 possessions in the 2nd half.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up