ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 17 of 791
« First < 71314151617 181920212767117517 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>2019 Free agency Thread
O.city 03:24 PM 02-05-2019
We don't really have one of these yet, so figured we could use this as a place to discuss potential free agent acquisitions and what we would like to look for them to bring in.

If any of you guys are interested, heres a good place to do some research.

https://overthecap.com/
[Reply]
mcaj22 12:53 PM 02-15-2019
sometimes I am amazed at what discounts or prove it deals Chiefs fans think they can get for players on other teams that are actually good players despite the teams success, bad coaching, scheme, down year, etc.

Its like everyones a buy low canidate for a contract or trade. Offer a 7th for Patrick Peterson he had a down year! Bobby Wagner is old give them a 6th! Gerald McCoy on a 1 year vet min he needs to prove he belongs in the league!
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 12:55 PM 02-15-2019

The #Lions have released S Glover Quin, the veteran who carried a nearly $8M cap number. They also cut WR Bruce Ellington and LB Nicholas Grigsby

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) February 15, 2019

[Reply]
Chief Roundup 12:55 PM 02-15-2019
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
I have outside hope we can get him on a one year prove it deal.
Dude has nothing to prove. Nothing bounce back from. He is getting a long term deal somewhere.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:56 PM 02-15-2019
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Dude has nothing to prove. Nothing bounce back from. He is getting a long term deal somewhere.
sometimes I think people hear a phrase, don't really understand what it means and then just spit it out at random.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:56 PM 02-15-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
It all comes down to this really-

IF we're keeping the big 3 (Berry, Houston, Ford) then we're rolling with the same guys as the #31 Red Carpet Defense next year albeit with another defense heavy draft class added. There will be no big changes made, no free agent signings of anyone you've ever heard of. IF we do that, then we'll find out exactly how much of the problem was coaching and scheme, so I guess there's that.

It may very well be that we are unable to cut Berry due to injury and get any cap relief. It seems very unlikely that we get anything resembling Pro Bowl play from him ever again.

Houston and Ford are DE's in this 4-3 under alignment. Together, they'll cost something like $37 million dollars in 2019. (roughly 20% of the entire cap.)

I think this untenable. I don't see how you can bring them all back and improve your defensive personnel at the same time.
I hope I'm wrong but I think this is exactly how it's going to play out.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 01:00 PM 02-15-2019
Originally Posted by Rausch:
We not only have a shot but already would have had him last year if it weren't for the compensation they wanted.

Hell, we could have Thomas, Berry, and Ford this year.

I hate to say it but it looks like Houston will be gone just because of the $$$...
We have a "shot" like most other teams. But he has said repeatedly that he wants to go to the Cowboys.
Veach mentioned last year that we had laid the ground work for that trade and had he not gotten injured it probably would have happened. IIRC Veach made it seem that we had no interest in trying to sign him to a new contract though.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:01 PM 02-15-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I hope I'm wrong but I think this is exactly how it's going to play out.
Veach just seems more aggressive than that.

what I'm afraid of is that we get :
nothing on Berry, status quo
cut Houston
tag and play Ford.

In my opinion, that's the wrong play. I'd rather see
cut Berry regardless
restructure Houston
tag and trade Ford.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 02-15-2019, 01:02 PM
This message has been deleted by Chief Roundup.
htismaqe 01:03 PM 02-15-2019
Veach just seems more aggressive than that.

what I'm afraid of is that we get :
nothing on Berry, status quo
cut Houston
tag and play Ford.

In my opinion, that's the wrong play. I'd rather see
cut Berry regardless
restructure Houston
tag and trade Ford.
That first scenario would be awful.
[Reply]
bowener 01:05 PM 02-15-2019
It all comes down to this really-

IF we're keeping the big 3 (Berry, Houston, Ford) then we're rolling with the same guys as the #31 Red Carpet Defense next year albeit with another defense heavy draft class added. There will be no big changes made, no free agent signings of anyone you've ever heard of. IF we do that, then we'll find out exactly how much of the problem was coaching and scheme, so I guess there's that.

It may very well be that we are unable to cut Berry due to injury and get any cap relief. It seems very unlikely that we get anything resembling Pro Bowl play from him ever again.

Houston and Ford are DE's in this 4-3 under alignment. Together, they'll cost something like $37 million dollars in 2019. (roughly 20% of the entire cap.)

I think this untenable. I don't see how you can bring them all back and improve your defensive personnel at the same time.
I think the new coaching staff can easily improve last year's defensive personnel.

Chiefs ranked 24th in points allowed at 26.3 a game. If Spags can get them to 24 points a game, which was 20th this season, the Chiefs are probably undefeated.

I don't think the players were the main problem with the defense. They were a problem, obviously, but Bob was fucking clueless all season. When players don't know what to line up in, as evidenced by the Chargers game at home, that is on the coaches and not the players. The inability to tackle is a coaching problem, same as the penalties. All of that comes from the top down. Andy should have been more hands-on with the defense when it came to fundamentals and penalties, and Bob damn sure should have been working on that every single week.

I don't follow the same belief of many here. I do not think the Chiefs are going to blow up their defense. I think we are going to see most of the players return, and 1 or 2 key free agents signed at most. I am assuming a safety will be brought on board, one that is smart and can help rookies learn the system. At least one starting corner for next year isn't even in the league yet.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:06 PM 02-15-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
That first scenario would be awful.
I agree.

I'd much rather clean house than that.

But I'd keep Houston IF we can get his cap number down a more reasonable number.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:07 PM 02-15-2019
Originally Posted by bowener:
When players don't know what to line up in, as evidenced by the Chargers game at home, that is on the coaches and not the players. The inability to tackle is a coaching problem, same as the penalties. All of that comes from the top down. Andy should have been more hands-on with the defense when it came to fundamentals and penalties, and Bob damn sure should have been working on that every single week.
If a veteran player doesn't know how to lineup correctly or tackle, that's definitely NOT coaching. These guys aren't in junior high. They're getting paid millions of dollars. It's their freaking job. You can blame Sutton all you want but it simply isn't true. Guys that are bad at their jobs are bad at their jobs, plain and simple.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 01:09 PM 02-15-2019
I hope they don't ignore the OL. Mahomes needs better. The OL sucked against good teams.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:14 PM 02-15-2019
Originally Posted by mcaj22:
sometimes I am amazed at what discounts or prove it deals Chiefs fans think they can get for players on other teams that are actually good players despite the teams success, bad coaching, scheme, down year, etc.

Its like everyones a buy low canidate for a contract or trade. Offer a 7th for Patrick Peterson he had a down year! Bobby Wagner is old give them a 6th! Gerald McCoy on a 1 year vet min he needs to prove he belongs in the league!
It's not any worse than thinking paying Houston 21 million is a good idea.
[Reply]
Halfcan 01:15 PM 02-15-2019
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
I hope they don't ignore the OL. Mahomes needs better. Fisher sucked against good teams.
FYP

Fisher was awful last year. How long do we keep this "Pro Bowl" bum?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:18 PM 02-15-2019
Originally Posted by bowener:
I think the new coaching staff can easily improve last year's defensive personnel.

Chiefs ranked 24th in points allowed at 26.3 a game. If Spags can get them to 24 points a game, which was 20th this season, the Chiefs are probably undefeated.

I don't think the players were the main problem with the defense. They were a problem, obviously, but Bob was ****ing clueless all season. When players don't know what to line up in, as evidenced by the Chargers game at home, that is on the coaches and not the players. The inability to tackle is a coaching problem, same as the penalties. All of that comes from the top down. Andy should have been more hands-on with the defense when it came to fundamentals and penalties, and Bob damn sure should have been working on that every single week.

I don't follow the same belief of many here. I do not think the Chiefs are going to blow up their defense. I think we are going to see most of the players return, and 1 or 2 key free agents signed at most. I am assuming a safety will be brought on board, one that is smart and can help rookies learn the system. At least one starting corner for next year isn't even in the league yet.
I don't disagree EXCEPT that I don't think you can do anything at all really in free agency if you roll with Berry, Ford and Houston's salaries when you need to extend Jones and Hill or you're ****ing yourself in the future. There will be no 'veteran safety'. And if Houston's your SAM then that is a woeful overpay.
[Reply]
Page 17 of 791
« First < 71314151617 181920212767117517 > Last »
Up