ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2269 of 3903
« First < 1269176921692219225922652266226722682269 227022712272227322792319236927693269 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 04:18 PM 05-28-2020
Originally Posted by sedated:
What sort of delusional world do you live (dumb question, I know) in where everyone was scared because of the f-ing projections? People were scared because of actual numbers that came from countries that got hit before the US. I don't recall a single MENTION of projections in a single conversation I was a part of. They had nothing to do with anything.

And yet that has become the battle cry of a certain set of people - if the projections are wrong (in any way), then its proof the government is lying to control the people.

Do you wear a tin foil hat and scream at the weather guy after they predict a storm and it doesn't happen?
Uhhh..this report right here.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/u...house.amp.html
[Reply]
jdubya 04:20 PM 05-28-2020
https://www.cato.org/blog/how-one-mo...eaths-covid-19

Duoh!
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:26 PM 05-28-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Uhhh..this report right here.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/u...house.amp.html
What? This is from your link on March 16, 2020:

Sweeping new federal recommendations announced on Monday for Americans to sharply limit their activities appeared to draw on a dire scientific report warning that, without action by the government and individuals to slow the spread of coronavirus and suppress new cases, 2.2 million people in the United States could die.

To curb the epidemic, there would need to be drastic restrictions on work, school and social gatherings for periods of time until a vaccine was available, which could take 18 months, according to the report, compiled by British researchers. They cautioned that such steps carried enormous costs that could also affect people’s health, but concluded they were “the only viable strategy at the current time.”

----------
Isn't that pretty much what happened to curb the infection and death rate?

Are you claiming that if our country didn't put these rules in place that the same exact number of people would have died and those actions were fruitless?
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 04:39 PM 05-28-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
What? This is from your link on March 16, 2020:

Sweeping new federal recommendations announced on Monday for Americans to sharply limit their activities appeared to draw on a dire scientific report warning that, without action by the government and individuals to slow the spread of coronavirus and suppress new cases, 2.2 million people in the United States could die.

To curb the epidemic, there would need to be drastic restrictions on work, school and social gatherings for periods of time until a vaccine was available, which could take 18 months, according to the report, compiled by British researchers. They cautioned that such steps carried enormous costs that could also affect people’s health, but concluded they were “the only viable strategy at the current time.”

----------
Isn't that pretty much what happened to curb the infection and death rate?

Are you claiming that if our country didn't put these rules in place that the same exact number of people would have died and those actions were fruitless?
He wanted to know what scary projection influenced everyone. That's why it was referenced in back to back post Read his first paragraph.
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 04:40 PM 05-28-2020
Saw a full QT roller grill today so that’s a good sign that things are starting to get back to normal around KC.
[Reply]
petegz28 04:42 PM 05-28-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
He wanted to know what scary projection influenced everyone. That's why it was referenced in back to back post Read his first paragraph.
The 2mil projected did put the panic in everyone initially. And we can't say the mitigation steps we took didn't have any effect. However, we also can't say for sure how effective they were simply because we couldn't run in parallels realities, right?

So naturally the SIP orders and what not get the benefit of the doubt. But to what extent we really have no way of knowing.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:54 PM 05-28-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
So naturally the SIP orders and what not get the benefit of the doubt. But to what extent we really have no way of knowing.
Of course we know that the mitigation and social distancing helped to suppress the spread. Otherwise, there would be hundreds of thousands, if not millions more cases across the country. I can't believe that's in question.

That said, are there still questions about the effectiveness of masks, gloves and the near sterilization of items brought into the home? Yes, especially given that the WHO and CDC have found that it's highly unlikely that someone can acquire the virus from a contaminated surface.
[Reply]
petegz28 04:56 PM 05-28-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Of course we know that the mitigation and social distancing helped to suppress the spread. Otherwise, there would be hundreds of thousands, if not millions more cases across the country. I can't believe that's in question.

That said, are there still questions about the effectiveness of masks, gloves and the near sterilization of items brought into the home? Yes, especially given that the WHO and CDC have found that it's highly unlikely that someone can acquire the virus from a contaminated surface.
Dane, I didn't say they didn't have an effect. I said to what extent we have no way of knowing.
[Reply]
Monticore 05:01 PM 05-28-2020
Dane, I didn't say they didn't have an effect. I said to what extent we have no way of knowing.
It was a lose lose situation for the government, they just decided the would rather listen to you complain about doing it for nothing rather than you complain about how we didn’t do enough.
[Reply]
petegz28 05:03 PM 05-28-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
It was a lose lose situation for the government, they just decided to listen to you complain about doing it for nothing rather than complain that we didn’t do enough.
Gee, you think?
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 05:03 PM 05-28-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
:-)

Every post nearly every day since March 29, 2020, in Non-Political Covid 19 thread except a brief flirtation with My Dreams thread. Obsess much?
So the last 7-8 weeks I’ve primarily posted about Covid. Yep that’s strange with all the other sports and much larger things going on and such. You going down with that Pete ship eh? I wish you the best.
[Reply]
petegz28 07:49 PM 05-28-2020
Daily deaths came in about 300 below yesterday :-)
[Reply]
sedated 05-28-2020, 07:57 PM
This message has been deleted by sedated.
Rain Man 08:02 PM 05-28-2020
Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED:
Saw a full QT roller grill today so that’s a good sign that things are starting to get back to normal around KC.
If the dogs are rolling, then the economy is rolling.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:21 PM 05-28-2020
103-year-old cracks open Bud Light to celebrate coronavirus recovery

https://www.foxnews.com/health/103-y...1nTgg88GWGIrdY
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 08:26 PM 05-28-2020
103-year-old cracks open Bud Light to celebrate coronavirus recovery

https://www.foxnews.com/health/103-y...1nTgg88GWGIrdY
Always love stories like this.
[Reply]
Page 2269 of 3903
« First < 1269176921692219225922652266226722682269 227022712272227322792319236927693269 > Last »
Up