ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2327 of 3903
« First < 1327182722272277231723232324232523262327 232823292330233123372377242728273327 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 01:18 PM 06-12-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Why do you always have to play some contrarian dumb shit? A vaccine would "possibly" get us back to normal faster? Things won't go back to normal until a vast majority of people aren't scared and a lot of people aren't going to lose their fear just because there are some ways to treat COVID19. A large number of people say they aren't going back to their previous lifestyle until there is a vaccine.
They might be waiting a long while......might not either.
[Reply]
Monticore 01:19 PM 06-12-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Possibly. But then so could other effective treatments for that matter.
Preventing this virus makes more sense than finding a cure/treatment.
[Reply]
petegz28 01:28 PM 06-12-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Preventing this virus makes more sense than finding a cure/treatment.
I don't disagree at all. That really wasn't anything I was arguing either.
[Reply]
Donger 01:34 PM 06-12-2020
I fail to see why anyone has any reason to think we'll never have a vaccine for SARS-CoV-2. The experts seem to have reason to think with high confidence that we will, and relatively soon.
[Reply]
petegz28 02:50 PM 06-12-2020
So what's so special about September that all the projections are showing a rise in everything?
[Reply]
lewdog 03:20 PM 06-12-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
So what's so special about September that all the projections are showing a rise in everything?
Schools
[Reply]
eDave 04:19 PM 06-12-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Schools
Protests aside, wait until we start going outside again. Starting in September.
[Reply]
petegz28 04:22 PM 06-12-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Schools
Even after the studies that said closing the schools had minimal impact?
[Reply]
jdubya 04:38 PM 06-12-2020
A friend of mine just told me his brother, his brothers wife and their young daughter all tested positive. The husband and daughter had the "sniffles" for 3 days and it was gone. The wife was sick for a week with what felt like a "really bad cold" but was fine after a week. The wife got it from a nursing home she worked at so had the higher viral load exposure......but still got off relatively light.
[Reply]
Donger 04:45 PM 06-12-2020
Oregon Gov. Kate Brown announced Friday that the state is putting a seven-day pause on further county reopenings statewide due to a spike in new Covid-19 cases.

"This is essentially a statewide yellow light," Brown said during a news conference.

She said that the state was aware there could be a spike in cases as restrictions were lifted. "Unfortunately, we are now seeing that happen in several parts of the state in both rural and urban Oregon," Brown said.
[Reply]
Donger 04:45 PM 06-12-2020
Utah Gov. Gary Herbert has paused the lifting of restrictions following spikes in Covid-19 cases over the past two weeks.

The governor said during a news conference Thursday that the increase in cases is “giving them pause.”

The state will remain in the "yellow" phase of reopening with the exception of one county, Brooke Scheffler, public information officer for Herbert, told CNN in a text Friday.

She also confirmed that Salt Lake City will remain in the "orange" phase, which is below yellow.
[Reply]
Donger 04:48 PM 06-12-2020
An influential model cited by the White House issued the dire prediction, saying the US death toll could reach 169,890 by October 1, with a possible range of about 133,000 to 290,000 deaths.

Daily deaths are expected to decrease through June and July, then remain relatively stable through August before rising sharply in September, the model forecasts.

“If the US is unable to check the growth in September, we could be facing worsening trends in October, November and the following months if the pandemic, as we expect, follows pneumonia seasonality,” said Dr. Christopher Murray, director of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington School of Medicine.

Many states have loosened restrictions that began in March to stop the spread of the virus. But with no vaccine, more people congregating in public places and recent protests for racial justice in major cities, one health expert predicted that the nation’s coronavirus death toll will nearly double by September.

“I think right now, most Americans are not ready to lock back down, and I completely understand that. … I understand people are willing to live alongside this virus. It means that between 800 and 1,000 Americans are going to die every single day,” Dr. Ashish Jha, director of the Harvard Global Health Institute, told CNN.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 06:40 PM 06-12-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
and just as many would refuse to get the vaccine even if there was one
Hopefully we a get a vaccine and find out.

I would think that schools that currently require certain vaccines would similarly require covid.

I wonder if the Feds would consider a vaccination as a prerequisite to being allowed to fly.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:47 PM 06-12-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
Hopefully we a get a vaccine and find out.

I would think that schools that currently require certain vaccines would similarly require covid.

I wonder if the Feds would consider a vaccination as a prerequisite to being allowed to fly.
I think it's going to be a couple years before it is "required". I can't blame parents for not forcing their kid to take something that has been around for a couple weeks when as a kid they are not a high risk anyhow.
[Reply]
TLO 07:11 PM 06-12-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
An influential model cited by the White House issued the dire prediction, saying the US death toll could reach 169,890 by October 1, with a possible range of about 133,000 to 290,000 deaths.

Daily deaths are expected to decrease through June and July, then remain relatively stable through August before rising sharply in September, the model forecasts.

“If the US is unable to check the growth in September, we could be facing worsening trends in October, November and the following months if the pandemic, as we expect, follows pneumonia seasonality,” said Dr. Christopher Murray, director of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington School of Medicine.

Many states have loosened restrictions that began in March to stop the spread of the virus. But with no vaccine, more people congregating in public places and recent protests for racial justice in major cities, one health expert predicted that the nation’s coronavirus death toll will nearly double by September.

“I think right now, most Americans are not ready to lock back down, and I completely understand that. … I understand people are willing to live alongside this virus. It means that between 800 and 1,000 Americans are going to die every single day,” Dr. Ashish Jha, director of the Harvard Global Health Institute, told CNN.
The IHME model may very well be right, but to this point its track record hasn't been all that impressive.
[Reply]
Page 2327 of 3903
« First < 1327182722272277231723232324232523262327 232823292330233123372377242728273327 > Last »
Up