ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1224 of 3903
« First < 22472411241174121412201221122212231224 122512261227122812341274132417242224 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Fat Elvis 10:47 AM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
That was taken into account in the original model. I know they now claim more people are following social distancing than expected but I can't see how that's accounts for a 20X difference compared to the model. Especially since MO did not order a shelter in place until 2 days ago and been consistently railed for doing the least in terms of social distancing as a state.
Originally Posted by Donger:
They presumed 50% would comply, not 90%
I don't think Marcellus understands how modeling works, nor how small changes in the beginning of a time period can lead to *huge* overall changes to final outcome numbers; think of it as compound interest.

Four weeks ago, if you had told me that the numbers the government were basing their projections on were predicated on a 50% compliance rate, I would of told you that it was a pie-in-the-sky projection. I thought we would be lucky to get 25% compliance. But 90% compliance? Never in my wildest dreams did I think that was possible because, quite honestly, I thought there were more morons like Marcellus, Pete, and KCChiefsfan88 running around.

I think one thing that really, really spooked (and by spooked, in a good way) people were the images coming out of Italy before the shit really hit the fan in the US. Those images were simply shocking and looked like a real life nightmare. People did not want *that* so it made it much easier to convince them to follow safe distancing protocols. Because people followed those protocols much, much better than anticipated, our overall infection and death rates were much, much lower than early model projections.

So yes, the math actually does add up.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:47 AM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
You're looking right at the goddamned thing.
He's being intentionally obtuse...it's kind of obvious.
[Reply]
Marcellus 10:48 AM 04-08-2020
Look dude, I was reading the old trend just like I am reading the new trend, I know what it said when I read it.

There was a link somewhere in this thread you can see the full data on the old trend unless they have taken it down, not a screen shot. I don't know the exact date of the original one that was posted.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:48 AM 04-08-2020
Already over a thousand deaths. I hate this bug.
I mean,

Fuck China right?
[Reply]
stumppy 10:49 AM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
They don't count. You guys are practically Nebraska anyway.
Yea, we're way out here where the hoot owls fuck the chickens.:-)
[Reply]
dlphg9 10:50 AM 04-08-2020
He obviously has no clue what is going on.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 10:50 AM 04-08-2020
pretty funny.
[Reply]
Donger 10:50 AM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
I mean,

**** China right?
Considering that this is the second time they've unleashed a plague on the planet, yes, they really need to alter their behavior.
[Reply]
Marcellus 10:52 AM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis:
I don't think Marcellus understands how modeling works, nor how small changes in the beginning of a time period can lead to *huge* overall changes to final outcome numbers; think of it as compound interest.

Four weeks ago, if you had told me that the numbers the government were basing their projections on were predicated on a 50% compliance rate, I would of told you that it was a pie-in-the-sky projection. I thought we would be lucky to get 25% compliance. But 90% compliance? Never in my wildest dreams did I think that was possible because, quite honestly, I thought there were more morons like Marcellus, Pete, and KCChiefsfan88 running around.

I think one thing that really, really spooked (and by spooked, in a good way) people were the images coming out of Italy before the shit really hit the fan in the US. Those images were simply shocking and looked like a real life nightmare. People did not want *that* so it made it much easier to convince them to follow safe distancing protocols. Because people followed those protocols much, much better than anticipated, our overall infection and death rates were much, much lower than early model projections.

So yes, the math actually does add up.
Pretty comical, obviously I am wrong, not the models that have been way wrong the whole time. Makes sense.

I understand the math, I understand it's not linear, I also can tell when something is way fucked up.

I am not saying we shouldn't be social distancing, I am not saying it doesn't work, I am not mad the numbers are better, I am simply pointing out how far off this stuff is and there is no real logic that explains it other than they were way wrong. Yea the social distancing compliance would explain some of it but come on man.

No idea why people are so obsessed with defending these models.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:52 AM 04-08-2020
Live with Marcellus...

[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:53 AM 04-08-2020
Considering that this is the second time they've unleashed a plague on the planet, yes, they really need to alter their behavior.
I dont think they care, I think its time the world makes them care
[Reply]
Demonpenz 10:53 AM 04-08-2020
YOUR
LOOKING
RIGHT
AT
THE
GOD
DAMN
THING
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:53 AM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
New study shows the R0 may be 6.5

That’s insane
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Ok. So I’ve been rolling wheels pretty hard and haven’t paid any attention to, well, much of anything.

These numbers.... goddamn.

Originally Posted by DaFace:
I'm pretty convinced that you just don't really understand math.
Just a heads up, there aren’t a ton of people on the planet that understand math to the extent that you understand math. I don’t know what the hell this argument entails. I just skipped to the last page, but I know that you could apply that statement to me and a bunch of otherwise intelligent people on this outfit if you’re the baseline.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:54 AM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Ok. So I’ve been rolling wheels pretty hard and haven’t paid any attention to, well, much of anything.

These numbers.... goddamn.

Just a heads up, there aren’t a ton of people on the planet that understand math to the extent that you understand math. I don’t know what the hell this argument entails. I just skipped to the last page, but I know that you could apply that statement to me and a bunch of otherwise intelligent people on this outfit if you’re the baseline.
This because Florida has handled it very poorly..
[Reply]
Donger 10:56 AM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
I dont think they care, I think its time the world makes them care
There was a report that the Chinese government was going to try to ban the sale and consumption of bushmeat. Then again, they said the same thing after SARS v1.0
[Reply]
Page 1224 of 3903
« First < 22472411241174121412201221122212231224 122512261227122812341274132417242224 > Last »
Up