ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 70 of 171
« First < 20606667686970 7172737480120170 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:44 AM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Rather than diving back into Umbrella Academy, or delving into darker fare like horror or thrillers, I finally started my with through NPH's 'Series of Unfortunate Events' Netflix series.

Only 5 eps in thus far, but pleasantly surprised in an unexpected way.

It's sinister and whimsical in the vein of Pushing Daisies [Sonnenfeld], like I expected. But the sense of humor is very dry and often disarmingly funny.

It's what you might call smart and winking humor, which could come off smug and tedious in the wrong hands. It plays with subverting the narrative and making callbacks and little snarky asides. I sense that a lot of this comes from the brliiance of the books it was based on, and if so I see why they were so popular. But it really delivers at moments. Surprised how often I find myself chuckling almost involuntarily.

EDIT: It was bugging me what the 'smart-dumb' humor reminded me of, and it just struck me. . . . It has a similar sense of humor to Raising Arizona crossed with The Princess Bride . . .

It's definitely reminiscent some of the better young adult books I recall from my childhood.

Just curious, if anyone has seen the whole thing and how it holds up long term. I don't want to overstay the welcome or wade into some of the material if the consensus is it is subpar.

I need to circle back to that. I picked it up once a couple years ago and just forgot about it.

I always like Pushing Daiseys and yeah - very similar feel. I also thought the movie took a little more crap than it deserved.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:30 AM 08-19-2020
Man, Ted Lasso has no business being as good as it is. I'm glad Dane mentioned it in another thread because it reminded me to watch the last episode. Sudeikis is absolutely killing it. The only downside is the release schedule (next one is 8/21).
[Reply]
kingrbt5 11:41 AM 08-20-2020
The Blacklist!
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:19 PM 08-22-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Man, Ted Lasso has no business being as good as it is. I'm glad Dane mentioned it in another thread because it reminded me to watch the last episode. Sudeikis is absolutely killing it. The only downside is the release schedule (next one is 8/21).
I specifically logged in here to see if anybody was talking about it.

My wife loves Sudeikis and convinced me to watch it with her. We watched the first 4 episodes and I actually thought it was...great.

In any other setting, his performance might have been too over-the-top to be watchable but his midwestern bumpkin schtick ended up being a perfect counterbalance the the surly seriousness and sneering selfishness of the other main characters. You got the feeling from the very beginning that he could be a heart amongst the heartless and it wasn't long at all before you started to see the path on which he could turn the team around.

Sure, the locker room dynamics are a bit cliched but I'm sure I'm not the only one that could actually see that being a real life struggle of any professional locker room, not just an English football club.

By the end of episode 4, I wasn't just invested in the main characters, I was rooting for them. And rooting for AFC Richmond.

I'm not ashamed to say it I guess. I love this show and can't wait for more.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:23 PM 08-22-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
And I have to say I think that it’s was Rob Lowe’s career defining role and he was sooooo freaking good.
Rob Lowe has always been criminally underrated in these types of roles. I absolutely agree that Parks and Rec was probably his best work.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:35 PM 08-22-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Rob Lowe has always been criminally underrated in these types of roles. I absolutely agree that Parks and Rec was probably his best work.
All time favorite Traeger moment

2nd place

[Reply]
keg in kc 05:12 PM 08-22-2020
In the mood for some more serious binging, so I watched the first season of Perry Mason. Grew up watching reruns of the original series with Raymond Burr in the titular role, so I was already familiar with the characters, but the names were about the only recognizable connection between the old and the new. The HBO series reminded me of Deadwood in the way that it removed the puritanical blinders and showed us an unfiltered 1930's LA. I loved it. Another great series from HBO and I can't wait to see season 2.

Also caught the pilot for Lovecraft Country, which is available on YouTube for free, and while I thought some of it was over the top, I liked it enough to watch next week.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:15 PM 08-22-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I haven't had a chance to start it yet but it's next on my list and I'm really looking forward to some humor after watching Ozark.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:19 PM 08-22-2020
Long before I binged Parks & Rec, I watched Rob Lowe's Fox series, The Grinder, which I thought was absolutely brilliant.

Now that I've seen Parks & Rec, it's a virtual tie because his performances in both series are just phenomenal.

Rob Lowe's acting has grown so much since the 80's and I'd really like to see him another comedic series.
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:22 PM 08-22-2020
Long before I binged Parks & Rec, I watched Rob Lowe's Fox series, The Grinder, which I thought was absolutely brilliant.

Now that I've seen Parks & Rec, it's a virtual tie because his performances in both series are just phenomenal.

Rob Lowe's acting has grown so much since the 80's and I'd really like to see him another comedic series.
Hilarious. I was thinking of The Grinder when I posted that but decided not to mention it by name because I figured people would think I was insane for liking it. LOL
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:30 PM 08-22-2020
Hilarious. I was thinking of The Grinder when I posted that but decided not to mention it by name because I figured people would think I was insane for liking it. LOL
I LOVED The Grinder because it was so absolutely ridiculous.

I still can't believe it was cancelled after one season.
[Reply]
htismaqe 06:30 PM 08-22-2020
I LOVED The Grinder because it was so absolutely ridiculous.

I still can't believe it was cancelled after one season.
My wife and I really enjoyed it. Sucks that it got freaking cancelled.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:18 PM 09-04-2020
I haven't seen this, so I can't vouch one way or another, but I've heard positive buzz, and it's put up free on yt. New HBO Sci-Fi series

[Reply]
Buehler445 10:53 PM 09-04-2020
I finally got around to the Sopranos. It was good. Definitely worth the time if you haven’t seen it.

The show definitely changed the game. Think Model T changed the game. But like the T it eventually got outrun. The newer great shows that get after it are a lot tighter. There were a lot of hours of film that really didn’t mean anything other than a look into the life of a gangster. Compare that with Perry Mason for instance where every detail in ever scene means something.

Gandolfini of course killed. Virtually everyone they got to be italian really did a great job of not making it hokey. Because there is a lot of hokey shit they do but pull it off because Italy. They do a real nice job showing the Contrast between the life Carmella lives and how that life is financed.

Of course some of the technology didn’t age well but whatever.

Last they did a great job with the food. There wasn’t a dish on there that I wouldn’t have loved to have.
[Reply]
sully1983 03:38 PM 09-05-2020
Love , Death & Robots is a trippy awesome show on Netflix. Would highly recommend it to stoners everywhere. The episodes are like just 10 to 15 minutes long and the animation is sick. So well done imo.
[Reply]
Page 70 of 171
« First < 20606667686970 7172737480120170 > Last »
Up