ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 66 of 171
« First < 16566263646566 6768697076116166 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
Jenson71 09:16 PM 06-15-2020
I have the final episode of the Netflix docus-series Lenox Hill left. The snippets of brain surgeries are very cool. I loved The Last Dance, and this has some similar themes of large personalities leading a team to success in their profession. And as exciting as TLD could get, Lenox Hill has these raw intimate looks at families in their most stressful, excruciating moments. Each episode has multiple scenes that are draining.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:02 AM 06-23-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Newest on Perry Mason - so ready for this

Who’s watched it? I enjoyed it. Rhys was really REALLY good.

There was more humor in it than I thought there would be. I’m definitely stealing “sitting there as a monument to useless.” :-)

One nit to pick

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:35 AM 06-23-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Who’s watched it? I enjoyed it. Rhys was really REALLY good.

There was more humor in it than I thought there would be.
I thought it was off to a great start, immersive in the milieu without being demonstrative or ostentatious. More of a lived-in world than a period being 'recreated.'

As for the humor, I legit laughed when Lupe, . . . ummm, . . . athletically negotiated Perry off the bed.

Rhys' face while assessing the . . . . evidence, in the morgue, sold the entire premise.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:17 AM 06-23-2020
I thought it was off to a great start, immersive in the milieu without being demonstrative or ostentatious. More of a lived-in world than a period being 'recreated.'

As for the humor, I legit laughed when Lupe, . . . ummm, . . . athletically negotiated Perry off the bed.

Rhys' face while assessing the . . . . evidence, in the morgue, sold the entire premise.
Agreed on all counts.

First couple sentences is a more articulate way of saying what I saw LOL.

I laughed at the Lupe bit too. The parts after too - bit about the tequila and sleeping in her bed. I'm not really sure how she fits into the story, but they spent too much time on her for it just to be ambiance.

Morgue scene was tough.

Spoiler!

Good bit of filmmaking there.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:52 AM 06-23-2020
Agreed on all counts.
Another thing I neglected to mention, because it was specific to my personal experience, but I just got through binging Bosch in quarantine.

So it was just a couple months ago I spent a whole season with Angel Flight [in modern day] as a central character.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 08:34 PM 07-05-2020
Just started watching “I’ll Be Gone in the Dark” on HBO.

Scary shit.
[Reply]
kcpasco 10:38 AM 07-06-2020
Bring Hannibal back. How did I not discover this gem until recently. Season 2 finale was some of the best television I’ve ever watched.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:04 PM 07-06-2020
I laughed at the Lupe bit too.
[Harumph]

Ahh, drink some god damned water, would ya?!!?!
[Reply]
keg in kc 04:28 PM 07-08-2020
Netflix picked up The Last Kingdom for a fifth season!
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:22 PM 07-08-2020
I think of the comedy shows presently out there putting out new stuff, the best going are

You're the Worst
Bojack
Rick and Morty

[depending on how strong Always Sunny and Nathan for You come back in their new seasons]
It took me forever, but I'm finally at a crossroads on Bojack. Watched the first season way back when [^^look above^^, post from nearly 3 years ago], and worked through 2-5 during quarantine. Now I'm halfway through 6 and I'm torn. When I finish them, there's no more. But until I finish them I don't know how it ends.

Such a show, if anyone hasn't seen it, I can't imagine whom I wouldn't recommend it to. The animation lets it be jam-packed with references and jokes. The binge nature of Netflix lets it be both very serialized and still divert into one-off explorations. It's hopeful and despondent and humorous and dramatic and twisted and universal all at the same time.

For those unfamiliar, it's an animated show about a horse-person who starred in a 90s sitcom who is now nearing his 50s and dealing with everything the 'Hollywoo' [sic] lifestyle entails, the hedonism, the new-agey-ness, the substance abuse, the superficiality of friendships, the egoism, etc.

The first season is different tonally from the rest, but even though it's entertaining in it's own right, it's subtly setting up the narratives and stakes for everything to come.

This makes it, on a meta-level, very un-sitcom. The problems aren't solved by the end of an episode. Errors and faux pas are not forgotten or forgiven. Chickens [sometimes literally] come home to roost.

Check it out, you won't regret it.

[Reply]
BigBeauford 05:35 PM 07-08-2020
It took me forever, but I'm finally at a crossroads on Bojack. Watched the first season way back when [^^look above^^, post from nearly 3 years ago], and worked through 2-5 during quarantine. Now I'm halfway through 6 and I'm torn. When I finish them, there's no more. But until I finish them I don't know how it ends.

Such a show, if anyone hasn't seen it, I can't imagine whom I wouldn't recommend it to. The animation lets it be jam-packed with references and jokes. The binge nature of Netflix lets it be both very serialized and still divert into one-off explorations. It's hopeful and despondent and humorous and dramatic and twisted and universal all at the same time.

For those unfamiliar, it's an animated show about a horse-person who starred in a 90s sitcom who is now nearing his 50s and dealing with everything the 'Hollywoo' [sic] lifestyle entails, the hedonism, the new-agey-ness, the substance abuse, the superficiality of friendships, the egoism, etc.

The first season is different tonally from the rest, but even though it's entertaining in it's own right, it's subtly setting up the narratives and stakes for everything to come.

Make makes it, on a meta-level, very un-sitcom. The problems aren't solved by the end of an episode. Errors and faux pas are not forgotten or forgiven. Chickens [sometimes literally] come home to roost.

Check it out, you won't regret it.

I loving this show, but I am struggling a bit with season 4. Feels like a drop in quality and a bit of an uptick in the wokeness. Also, the
Spoiler!
plotline blows. I hope 5 and 6 pick it back up.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 10:20 PM 07-08-2020
Just binge watched all three seasons of Dark on netflix this week. Some mind-bending stuff. Great show
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:23 PM 07-08-2020
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
Spoiler!
plotline blows.
Keep watching. . . . :-)
[Reply]
BigBeauford 09:05 PM 07-09-2020
Keep watching. . . . :-)
Holy shit, from the
Spoiler!
it's been god tier TV. What an amazing show.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:35 AM 07-10-2020
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
Holy shit, from the
Spoiler!
it's been god tier TV. What an amazing show.
That feeling when;

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Page 66 of 171
« First < 16566263646566 6768697076116166 > Last »
Up