ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 44 of 172
« First < 344041424344 454647485494144 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
Nickhead 12:24 AM 07-03-2018
detectorists, netflix

this is a really good, nice show with the driest humor there is. gareth of the office uk, is the writer and director.

i am on season two atm :-)
[Reply]
journeyscarab 12:23 PM 07-03-2018
Killing Eve on AMC.com or BBCAmerica.com is awesome!
[Reply]
cooper barrett 01:08 PM 07-03-2018
Originally Posted by Jerm:
Evil Genius - Just binged this all....this is the craziest ****ing thing I've ever watched. Making A Murderer level of nuts here...
I had forgotten the Pizza Bomber but I watched the series and thought it was really good. I highly recommend if you're into this kind of stuff.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 01:39 PM 07-03-2018
I had forgotten about Bosch until this post. I DL'ed the last 2 seasons to binge over the 4th. It is supposed to be a scorcher here so some afternoon/ early evening binging (*or bingeing?) will be in order.

Thanks for reminding me of this series!

Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Watched Season 4 of Bosch. I have to say again how much I like this show.

I'm not into police procedurals and I'm not a fan of Titus Welliver but this show is ****ing good. Both on the cop side and the Titus Welliver performance.

It really got to me

Spoiler!

The one thing that was kind of WTFish was

Spoiler!

[Reply]
cooper barrett 01:57 PM 07-03-2018
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
The quote by Costner (John Dutton) before loading onto the Helicopter was iconic! I won't spoil it.(”˙ʎnq p’ʎǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ sᴉ sᴉɥʇ 'plɹoʍ ǝɥʇ uᴉ ʎǝuoɯ ǝɥʇ llɐ pɐɥ ǝuoǝɯos ɟᴉ ʇɐɥʇ ƃuᴉʍouʞ sᴉ ǝƃɐɹǝʌǝ˥ " )

I also like the fact that Kelly Reilly is making herself seen in very provocative ways helps the show all the more.

NSFW!!#$%^&*^%$#
Kelly Reilly now seen in Yellowstone
NSFW#$%^&*&^%$#
[Reply]
cooper barrett 02:17 PM 07-03-2018
Series was great but needed a couple of more episodes.

Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Is anyone watching Patrick Melrose?

Simultaneously better and worse than I hoped/expected.

Worse, because even in the 5-hour format, there simply isn't time for all the signature prose from the source to play out.
Better, because it seems to be rounding into a truly innovative take on the usual tales of wealth and addiction and depravity. This is because BC plays him as someone legitimately traumatized and legitimately trying to better himself.

The [truly] depraved are juuuust a little more depraved, and the idiots juuuuuust a little more idiotic, and the journey juuuust a little more plausible, because, even though the intoxication scenes are dramatic, the milieu is played with restraint. The horror and tension of his childhood is palpable, although almost entirely unspoken or unremarked-upon.

[Reply]
cooper barrett 02:20 PM 07-03-2018
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
not being nit picky but you DO mean The Rain, right?
"The Rain" is a TV series about poison rain that was pretty good IMHO.
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:02 AM 07-09-2018
I'm only 3 episodes in, but HBO's Succession has been enjoyable. So far it seems well cast, written, and directed. It's about an dysfunctional, uber wealthy family who's patriarch is stepping away from the family business. It's not necessarily a binge watch for me as I find it better in 1 episode every couple day doses, which is kind of refreshing.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:05 AM 07-09-2018
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I'm only 3 episodes in, but HBO's Succession has been enjoyable. So far it seems well cast, written, and directed. It's about an dysfunctional, uber wealthy family who's patriarch is stepping away from the family business. It's not necessarily a binge watch for me as I find it better in 1 episode every couple day doses, which is kind of refreshing.
I've tried, and I can't put my finger on a specific complaint, but after each episode I've realized that I had no idea what had happened.

Not because it was confusing or tricky, but because my mind wandered to other things.

Some shows are just plain missing some ineffable thing that draws your attention. I want to like it, and I've semi-stuck with it thus far [partially because it's summer Sunday night], but it needs a hook soon.

Sharp Objects, OTOH, had my full attention.

[Reply]
KCUnited 06:29 AM 07-09-2018
I've tried, and I can't put my finger on a specific complaint, but after each episode I've realized that I had no idea what had happened.

Not because it was confusing or tricky, but because my mind wandered to other things.

Some shows are just plain missing some ineffable thing that draws your attention. I want to like it, and I've semi-stuck with it thus far [partially because it's summer Sunday night], but it needs a hook soon.
That's pretty close to my wife's take on it and why I debated mentioning it after only watching 3 episodes. I can see it dragging which is also why I'm good with one episode at at time.

I just highly enjoy each individual character in the family and the dynamic they've created. Replace the wealth with modest means, and successful businessman with state champion high school coach and there's some parallels to my own family that tickle me. Me being the most in line with Roman helps. There are times I'm belly laughing at the non-obvious funny parts and catch my wife just staring at me like wft are you laughing so hard at? That's definitely my draw to it.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 06:40 AM 07-09-2018
Starz' Counterpart with JK Simmons is badass BTW
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:51 AM 07-09-2018
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Starz' Counterpart with JK Simmons is badass BTW
Quite good, but you have to catch it streaming. It's between seasons at the moment.

For those unfamiliar, it's a mix of sci-fi and cold war politics.

Something in the past [mid60s, IIRC] caused a space-time rift with two worlds, nearly identical. Think Fringe.

One side fared much worse than the other in the rift, in some ways. In other ways, the hardship they went through spurred them to greater technological innovation.

There's a single 'portal' between worlds that is a heavily guarded secret where high-level diplomacy occurs by the echelons of each respective government. After strict protocols, some people go back and forth between worlds for negotiations and other 'important' matters.

Everyone has [or had] a doppelganger, but most people [particularly on the less affect side] are oblivious to the fact that this even occurred.

The story picks up in the midst of an attempt at a labyrinthine coup to cross worlds by force from the disadvantaged side by activists to wreak havoc in retaliation for the events the disadvantaged side blames them for.

The main character is a relative innocent and oblivious, meek and mild man on one side, whose doppelganger is a high ranking operative thoroughly enmeshed in the intrigue between worlds from his side. And the narrative is about the growing terrorist plot and getting the less knowledgeable doppleganger up to speed on the nature of the situation so both 'iterations' can work to figure out what's going on.

I think that is satisfactory without giving too much crucial information away.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 07:00 AM 07-09-2018
Quite good, but you have to catch it streaming. It's between seasons at the moment.

For those unfamiliar, it's a mix of sci-fi and cold war politics.

Something in the past [ late 80's] caused a space-time rift with two worlds, nearly identical. Think Fringe.

One side fared much worse than the other in the rift, in some ways. In other ways, the hardship they went through spurred them to greater technological innovation.

There's a single 'portal' between worlds that is a heavily guarded secret where high-level diplomacy occurs by the echelons of each respective government. After strict protocols, some people go back and forth between worlds for negotiations and other 'important' matters.

Everyone has [or had] a doppelganger, but most people [particularly on the less affect side] are oblivious to the fact that this even occurred.

The story picks up in the midst of an attempt at a labyrinthine coup to cross worlds by force from the disadvantaged side by activists to wreak havoc in retaliation for the events the disadvantaged side blames them for.

The main character is a relative innocent and oblivious, meek and mild man on one side, whose doppelganger is a high ranking operative thoroughly enmeshed in the intrigue between worlds from his side. And the narrative is about the growing terrorist plot and getting the less knowledgeable doppleganger up to speed on the nature of the situation so both 'iterations' can work to figure out what's going on.

I think that is satisfactory without giving too much crucial information away.
FYP
[Reply]
keg in kc 04:19 PM 07-10-2018
Killjoys starts up again on syfy in a couple of weeks, with season 4. It's ending after season 5 so they'll be pretty set with the narrative going forward, no worries about it ending early (fingers crossed). It started as a pretty light show but has gotten really good and serious over time. It was originally partnered with Dark Matter (that one's done now) but I always liked Killjoys more. It stars Hannah John-Kamen (recently Ghost in Ant Man and the Wasp), Luke Macfarlane and Aaron Ashmore as a trio of space-faring bounty hunters called, ostensibly, 'Killjoys'...

[Reply]
Baby Lee 03:27 AM 07-12-2018
I don't think I've mentioned Detroiters, but it's a genial goofy show on CC with Tim Robinson of SNL and Sam Richardson of Veep doing stories based on their growing up in Detroit.

It's usually just run-of-the-mill chuckleworthy basic cable, but the most recent episode was a masterclass in humor. I hope it's an indication of the two hitting their groove, because they're talented guys. Almost every bit, big and small, hit exactly as intended.

Keep an eye out on your TV for the Farmer Zack episode of Detroiters, or watch it streaming here.

http://www.cc.com/episodes/waw175/de...eason-2-ep-203
[Reply]
Page 44 of 172
« First < 344041424344 454647485494144 > Last »
Up