ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 223
« First < 41011121314 151617182464114 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>What are you Smoking/Grilling/BBQ'ing this weekend?
BigRedChief 03:48 PM 07-03-2015
What are you up to this weekend?

I finally gave up on my smoker and decided to get a new smoker. I went with a bigger model but less tech. Yes, its a cheater electric smoker. My 3rd one. I need more space to cook, I don't need help getting my smoke and temp right. :-)

I've also never used injection for flavor except for pork butt or other big cuts of meat. I decided to give it a try. I developed my own injection. Basically like the other recipes you have out on the internet but I'm putting the rub in the injection and using sirracchi.

Full results not in yet but my son and I think its the best sausage we have ever had.

No sauce. Marinated the meat overnight. Injected the meat. Slow cooked the ribs and chicken. Baste it with a combo of butter and apple juice. Using a combination of Apple, Mesquite, Cherry and Hickory wood.
Attached: 11539678_10205518593098849_7496287094654554585_n.jpg (58.7 KB) 11204917_10205518655060398_84193330748835473_n.jpg (107.7 KB) 11403311_10205518654740390_5737794009802538289_n.jpg (92.7 KB) 11060263_10205518594938895_5571454432064515726_n.jpg (86.7 KB) 
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:33 PM 07-11-2016
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Electric smokers are shit

Amateur hour for sure.
LOL, I have seven grills and smokers, I'm fine with electric.. I drive a car too, it's better than a bike...
[Reply]
srvy 08:34 PM 07-11-2016
I hope the 55 gal drum barrel is just made to look like one only and is a heavy gauge steel though its porcelain paint heat takes a toll. I notice they sell replacement drums so I wonder. Anyone who has been around a farm or construction site or have made barrel smokers know the bottoms burn out quickly. Its pretty easy to maintain heat over 300 on a WSM if you want to and ribs on a meat hook I would be scared they would drop into the coals unless your drying them out at to high a temp. If this is a beefier drum I would be interested but if its a jazzed up regular 55 gallon drum no thanks.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 08:57 PM 07-11-2016
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Ever used a PBC? I love mine.

I've read up on them & my fear would be the meat falling off the ribs into the charcoal. I love fall off the bone ribs but can you have that with the PBC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
BryanBusby 09:17 PM 07-11-2016
You really don't want your meat falling off the bone, because that means you overcooked them.

Shouldn't be an issue.
[Reply]
LoneWolf 09:23 PM 07-11-2016
Originally Posted by srvy:
I hope the 55 gal drum barrel is just made to look like one only and is a heavy gauge steel though its porcelain paint heat takes a toll. I notice they sell replacement drums so I wonder. Anyone who has been around a farm or construction site or have made barrel smokers know the bottoms burn out quickly. Its pretty easy to maintain heat over 300 on a WSM if you want to and ribs on a meat hook I would be scared they would drop into the coals unless your drying them out at to high a temp. If this is a beefier drum I would be interested but if its a jazzed up regular 55 gallon drum no thanks.
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
I've read up on them & my fear would be the meat falling off the ribs into the charcoal. I love fall off the bone ribs but can you have that with the PBC?
You would normally pull the ribs off of the hook, wrap them in foil, and place them on the grate to finish the cook. Having them fall of the hooks shouldn't be an issue.

Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
You really don't want your meat falling off the bone, because that means you overcooked them.

Shouldn't be an issue.
Also, this.
[Reply]
In58men 09:00 AM 07-12-2016
Wouldn't the juices from the meat dripping on the coals fluctuate the temperature?

[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 09:07 AM 07-12-2016
Originally Posted by Inmem58:
Wouldn't the juices from the meat dripping on the coals fluctuate the temperature?

Nope. That's how it's supposed to work when using charcoal only. The drips light and cause smoke. But no, temp stays very steady.
[Reply]
In58men 09:46 AM 07-12-2016
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Nope. That's how it's supposed to work when using charcoal only. The drips light and cause smoke. But no, temp stays very steady.
Right on, wasn't too sure how that worked out for you. Have you smoked a pork belly? I was thinking about picking up a pork belly and curing it. It would be my first time. Any advice?

Also, do you have to have pink salt? Is that a must need ingredient?
[Reply]
tooge 09:57 AM 07-12-2016
Not trying to be controversial here, but do you really want lots of essentially grease causing your smoke? I don't think so. I wouldn't want the fire to be caused by dripping fat. On a grill it's a different animal, because the steaks are just flamed "kissed", but when smoking for several hours, I would rather have wood smoke than liquified fat smoke.
[Reply]
tooge 10:02 AM 07-12-2016
From Grillbeast.com

Lesson 5: Cook Over Indirect Heat

When you're doing a short, fast cook, drippings falling onto the embers below can add extra flavor to items like steak, chicken pieces, and seafood. However, direct cooking is not something you want to do for long cooks. The meat juices and fat drippings will cool the embers over time, as well as produce a bitter, dirty smoke. Therefore, you want to keep big cuts of meat away from the flames while maintaining a temperature of about 225ºF.

Sayin....
[Reply]
In58men 10:12 AM 07-12-2016
Originally Posted by tooge:
From Grillbeast.com

When you're doing a short, fast cook, drippings falling onto the embers below can add extra flavor to items like steak, chicken pieces, and seafood. However, direct cooking is not something you want to do for long cooks. The meat juices and fat drippings will cool the embers over time, as well as produce a bitter, dirty smoke. Therefore, you want to keep big cuts of meat away from the flames while maintaining a temperature of about 225ºF.

Sayin....

That's what I was thinking. Drippings on hot embers does create a funny smell, didn't think about that. If FMB likes his product and doesn't have any issues with it, I'd take his word for it.
[Reply]
Dinny Bossa Nova 10:15 AM 07-12-2016
Not trying to be controversial here, but do you really want lots of essentially grease causing your smoke? I don't think so. I wouldn't want the fire to be caused by dripping fat. On a grill it's a different animal, because the steaks are just flamed "kissed", but when smoking for several hours, I would rather have wood smoke than liquified fat smoke.
From Grillbeast.com

Sayin....
I agree with you, tooge. Admire your chutzpah, as well.

There are like carcinogens and junk in the grease-fire smoke. I don't care for carcinogens and junk.

Dinny
[Reply]
In58men 10:37 AM 07-12-2016
Originally Posted by Dinny Blues:
I agree with you, tooge. Admire your chutzpah, as well.

There are like carcinogens and junk in the grease-fire smoke. I don't care for carcinogens and junk.

Dinny
How asinine since red meat causes cancer.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 11:05 AM 07-12-2016
Traveling for work today. Will reply tonight at the hotel.
[Reply]
Dinny Bossa Nova 11:37 AM 07-12-2016
Originally Posted by Inmem58:
How asinine since red meat causes cancer.
Don't blame me, tooge started it.

Dinny
[Reply]
Page 14 of 223
« First < 41011121314 151617182464114 > Last »
Up