ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 470 of 3903
« First < 370420460466467468469470 4714724734744805205709701470 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Andoverer 01:53 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Yeah I think he's the useful idiot establishing himself as the 'canary in the coal mine' role
[Reply]
Fish 01:54 PM 03-19-2020
Not a great outlook, from some of the local KC doctors...

Kansas City could see Seattle-like numbers of COVID-19 cases in two weeks, doctors warn

The Kansas City metro area’s coronavirus outbreak could be as severe as Seattle’s within two weeks, public health experts warn.

“This isn’t a maybe. It is coming,” Dana Hawkinson, medical director of infection prevention and control at The University of Kansas Health System, told reporters Thursday morning.

As of Thursday, the Pacific Northwest city reports 1,187 positive cases and 66 deaths. The Kansas City metro area has experienced 27 cases and 1 death.

“That’s why it is so vitally important to continue to have adherence to public health guidance,” Hawkinson said.

If you can, stay home. If you’re sick, self-quarantine. Don’t meet in large groups. Wash your hands, cover your mouth with your elbow when you cough and keep a healthy distance from other people. That’s the message that needs to be getting to the general public, Hawkinson said.

How long Americans can expect to hunker down depends on how seriously they take the virus right now, Hawkinson said. There’s no COVID-19 vaccine and the likelihood of re-infection isn’t well understood at this time.

“We’re at the beginning of the curve,” Hawkinson said. “We haven’t even started having that many positive patients. What we have is a whole lot of rule-outs and a whole lot of people coming in contact with positive patients.”

Hawkinson said he’s been monitoring the situation in Seattle and preparing for that level of infection in the Kansas City area.

“You can feel what’s going on on the ground (in Seattle) and you can look at that and you could say they are two weeks ahead of us,” Hawkinson said.

“This is what it’s going to look like in Kansas and Kansas City in two weeks,” he said. “And everything you can try to do to try and flatten that is what you have to do.”

And if it gets as bad as Seattle, Kansas hospitals won’t have enough supplies to go around.

“If we don’t blunt this virus, we don’t have enough,” said Jill Chadwick, director of KU Medical Center’s media relations.

“We don’t have enough vents, and we don’t have enough beds. And not just at our hospital — but every hospital,” she said.

A testing shortage and backlog of test samples make it impossible to accurately report how many people in Kansas have been infected.

More people want tests than the medical facilities, state labs or private labs can handle, chief medical offiicer at KU Medical Center Steve Stites said.

“We just don’t have enough test kits,” Stites said.

Johnson County, which includes the Kansas City suburbs of Overland Park, Shawnee and Olathe, has the most cases of COVID-19 in Kansas with 16 as of Thursday. There are eight cases in Wyandotte County.

With a shortage of testing capacity, Kansas should assume the virus is spreading more rapidly than tests indicate. The public health response should be the same whether people are being tested or not: If you have symptoms, self-quarantine two weeks, Hawkinson said.

“You just have to assume. You have to stay home as if you have it,” Hawkinson said.
[Reply]
neech 01:54 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
There is absolutely no doubt that the Federal government will need to enact a "Freeze" on mortgages, rent, utilities and loans.

Otherwise, we're going to see a massive amount of civil unreset, which may lead to far more deaths than a "contained" virus.
So does that mean we still have to pay say the utility company if we get a pass on a couple months of those bills?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:56 PM 03-19-2020
As for the "Food Supply Chain", I went to two Ralphs grocery stores this morning.

I was at the Studio City Ralphs at 8:00am, which is when they're opening now. They had plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables but the refridgerated section, whether it was yogurt, milk, egg whites and cheese were completely empty. They were also completely out of any type of lunch meat, whether turkey or baloney, hot dogs, salami, sandwich cheese, etc. The freezer section was completely empty, outside of ice cream and frozen treats. No veggies, fruits, microwave meals, frozen pizza, etc.

I got to the second Ralphs, located in North Hollywood, around 8:45ish. Same with the fresh fruits and vegetable, frozens, etc. but they did have three packages of hot dogs, so I grabbed them all. There was no meat in the case, other than a couple of nasty looking steaks.

I spoke with both managers and asked when they expect lunch meats and was told "We don't know. I could be today, tomorrow or next week".

Also, no toilet paper at either location but there were paper towels.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:56 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by neech:
So does that mean we still have to pay say the utility company if we get a pass on a couple months of those bills?
Unless it is a legit freeze them saying they won't turn things off isn't super helpful, that's like saying yea you can still use it now but in a few months that 2k bill won't pay itself.
[Reply]
loochy 01:57 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:

Kansas City could see Seattle-like numbers of COVID-19 cases in two weeks, doctors warn

The Kansas City metro area’s coronavirus outbreak could be as severe as Seattle’s within two weeks, public health experts warn.

“This isn’t a maybe. It is coming,” Dana Hawkinson, medical director of infection prevention and control at The University of Kansas Health System, told reporters Thursday morning.

As of Thursday, the Pacific Northwest city reports 1,187 positive cases and 66 deaths. The Kansas City metro area has experienced 27 cases and 1 death.

“That’s why it is so vitally important to continue to have adherence to public health guidance,” Hawkinson said.

If you can, stay home. If you’re sick, self-quarantine. Don’t meet in large groups. Wash your hands, cover your mouth with your elbow when you cough and keep a healthy distance from other people. That’s the message that needs to be getting to the general public, Hawkinson said.

How long Americans can expect to hunker down depends on how seriously they take the virus right now, Hawkinson said. There’s no COVID-19 vaccine and the likelihood of re-infection isn’t well understood at this time.

“We’re at the beginning of the curve,” Hawkinson said. “We haven’t even started having that many positive patients. What we have is a whole lot of rule-outs and a whole lot of people coming in contact with positive patients.”

Hawkinson said he’s been monitoring the situation in Seattle and preparing for that level of infection in the Kansas City area.

“You can feel what’s going on on the ground (in Seattle) and you can look at that and you could say they are two weeks ahead of us,” Hawkinson said.

“This is what it’s going to look like in Kansas and Kansas City in two weeks,” he said. “And everything you can try to do to try and flatten that is what you have to do.”

And if it gets as bad as Seattle, Kansas hospitals won’t have enough supplies to go around.

“If we don’t blunt this virus, we don’t have enough,” said Jill Chadwick, director of KU Medical Center’s media relations.

“We don’t have enough vents, and we don’t have enough beds. And not just at our hospital — but every hospital,” she said.

A testing shortage and backlog of test samples make it impossible to accurately report how many people in Kansas have been infected.

More people want tests than the medical facilities, state labs or private labs can handle, chief medical offiicer at KU Medical Center Steve Stites said.

Johnson County, which includes the Kansas City suburbs of Overland Park, Shawnee and Olathe, has the most cases of COVID-19 in Kansas with 16 as of Thursday. There are eight cases in Wyandotte County.

With a shortage of testing capacity, Kansas should assume the virus is spreading more rapidly than tests indicate. The public health response should be the same whether people are being tested or not: If you have symptoms, self-quarantine two weeks, Hawkinson said.

“You just have to assume. You have to stay home as if you have it,” Hawkinson said.
So his basis for that is simply assuming a worst case scenario. It's a good idea, but the headline is kind od meh
[Reply]
wazu 01:58 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:

Holy crap. if this is true that means that .01% of our population could have this thing, with 5% of those .01% having worse than minor symptoms. CLOSE ALL BUSINESSES INDEFINITELY.
[Reply]
Donger 01:58 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
10,000 max? I mean if that's the case the shutdown is a huge mistake.

I honestly cant come up with a justification for this craziness when you look at how fast H1N1 spread and we didn't come close to doing this to our country.
You asked me how many current cases do I think exist we don't know about. That's my answer to that.

If you're asking me how many cases we'll end up having, I hope with the actions we've taken, that we'll end up with a few hundred thousand.

Again, H1N1 had a much lower fatality rate than SARS-CoV-2 has.
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:00 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by wazu:
Holy crap. if this is true that means that .01% of our population could have this thing, with 5% of those .01% having worse than minor symptoms. CLOSE ALL BUSINESSES INDEFINITELY.
That would be 32,700 people in the entire country dude.
[Reply]
TLO 02:00 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
I have no idea, but I'd guess in between 5 and 10,000. We'll never really know for certain.
Originally Posted by loochy:
500k to 1 mil
And ultimately that's the problem. :-)

All I know is that I'm fully preparing for public pandemonium once we REALLY kick testing into gear across the country. If we see a giant spike in numbers (which we very well may), people are going to lose their shit.

I'm cautiously optimistic by the numbers coming out of Washington though. Once thought to be the epicenter of the outbreak, they are reporting fairly low confirmed cases as the days go by.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:00 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by neech:
There are a few senators making these types of propositions and from my understanding, it's just a 90 Day "Freeze" to help people make it through the next few months.

Also, from my understanding, the Federal Government is currently speaking with the banks and utility companies in which they would actually fund all of the various sources, so there would be zero burden on the American public until further notice.

I'm seeing friends lose their jobs or being furloughed, laid off, etc., people with high paying jobs (not including the Entertainment business, which is all but completely shut down - no filming, etc.), so I'd imagine it's hurting 90% of the country or more.

If the Feds want the public to comply with all of these "quarantine" style orders, they'll need to act quickly.
[Reply]
Fish 02:00 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
So his basis for that is simply assuming a worst case scenario.
He's the medical director of infection prevention and control. Maybe his assumptions are worth noting.
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:01 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
You asked me how many current cases do I think exist we don't know about. That's my answer to that.

If you're asking me how many cases we'll end up having, I hope with the actions we've taken, that we'll end up with a few hundred thousand.

Again, H1N1 had a much lower fatality rate than SARS-CoV-2 has.
But according to your numbers isn't nearly as contagious because it would be about 975,000 cases behind H1N1 in the same timeline when we did no lock down.

You get what I am saying yet?
[Reply]
displacedinMN 02:02 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
As for the "Food Supply Chain", I went to two Ralphs grocery stores this morning.

I was at the Studio City Ralphs at 8:00am, which is when they're opening now. They had plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables but the refridgerated section, whether it was yogurt, milk, egg whites and cheese were completely empty. They were also completely out of any type of lunch meat, whether turkey or baloney, hot dogs, salami, sandwich cheese, etc. The freezer section was completely empty, outside of ice cream and frozen treats. No veggies, fruits, microwave meals, frozen pizza, etc.

I got to the second Ralphs, located in North Hollywood, around 8:45ish. Same with the fresh fruits and vegetable, frozens, etc. but they did have three packages of hot dogs, so I grabbed them all. There was no meat in the case, other than a couple of nasty looking steaks.

I spoke with both managers and asked when they expect lunch meats and was told "We don't know. I could be today, tomorrow or next week".

Also, no toilet paper at either location but there were paper towels.
Ralph's at 10901 Ventura Blvd, Studio City, CA 91604???
I have been there. Saw the UPS driver from Legally Blonde when I was there.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:03 PM 03-19-2020
I don't know why you guys continually spew out numbers.

No one knows anything on a larger scale because testing just isn't available and ER's aren't admitting people without severe symptoms because there just aren't enough beds.
[Reply]
Page 470 of 3903
« First < 370420460466467468469470 4714724734744805205709701470 > Last »
Up